Objectivism Online Forum

What are your favorite TV shows?

Rate this topic

DavidV

Here is what I enjoy:

Law and Order – original stories, real issues, all over New York, and coherent, self-contained plots

CSI – witty characters, (mostly) real science, fast action

NYPD blue – too naturalistic at times, but the characters are engaging, and I like watching the detectives get the perps to confess.

The History Channel - Modern Marvels & “The Tech of” – some of the featured technologies are very cool

Edit: There is another version of this thread here.

Edited by GreedyCapitalist

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also like CSI and various programs on the History Channel.

I like the programs on TLC and the Discovery channel when they are shows about science(rare these days) or shows like American Chopper. I hate when they play shows like Trading Spaces, which is most of the time lately.

And I also like most of the incarnations of Star Trek. It sucks that they are about to cancel Enterprise. By the way it's funny how they represent the Vulcans as the extreme followers of logic. Especially on Enterprise it seems to be Kantian logic with alot of altruistic overtones. So it annoys me when the Vulcan First Officer and Science Officer T'Pal(sp?) actually goes into one of her logic talks, but I put up with it because she is extremely hot. ;)

Oh, are we doing this again?

Okay,

Law and Order

Law and Order SVU

Law and Order Criminal Intent

Crossing Jordan

Probably, Law and Order Trial By Jury (Bebe Neuwirth)!

Comedy:

Will And Grace

Arrested Development

Scrubs

Malcolm In The Middle

That 70's Show

Conan O'Brian

Americo.

Edited by AMERICONORMAN

OK, here's my list:

Drama:

Everwood

Jack & Bobby

Sci-fi:

Stargate: SG-1

Stargate: Atlantis

Firefly

Cartoons:

Looney Toons

Tom & Jerry

Comedy:

The Simpsons

Family Guy

South Park

Malcolm in the Middle

That '70s Show (especially before Tommy Chong left the show)

Three's Company (John Ritter was such a funny guy)

Keeping Up Appearances

Last of the Summer Wine

Are You Being Served?

Monty Python's Flying Circus

As Time Goes By

Nip/Tuck - Naturalistic at times, but I find the procedures of their profession fascinating. I also like it's message that one must honestly live for themself, otherwise they will end up destroying themself.

The Science Channel/Discovery Channel/TLC/History Channel - the only TV I can bear to go out of my way to sit down and watch.

Wrestling - Whenever I want to re-affirm the idea that I am more intelligent than most people, I watch wrasslin' ;)

Sports - I love watching sports, even that which elitists dismiss as not being sports, like Golf and Racing. Sports are a pure form of the celebration of excellence.

Simpsons/Family Guy/South Park - I love these shows, for their satirical value and their everyday humor.

Blue Collared Comedy - I love Southern humor, whether it's good clean Jeff Foxworthy humor or it's dirty redneck Larry the Cable Guy humor.

MythBusters on the Discovery Channel.

The show emphasizes the fact that there is an objective true and false in the world, and uses methods of reason to discover what is real and what is not- all done in a no-nonsense, entertaining way.

Although it's not quite on the same level of Penn & Teller's show "Bullshit!," I don't subscribe to Showtime and I am limited to what is released on DVD.

I saw a (BBC?) documentary last year called "Seven Wonders of the Industrial World" which was quite good. They took seven big industrial achievements (Brooklyn bridge, Hoover Dam etc.) and had re-enactments of what the inventors went through and how they struggled toward their vision, ultimately successful.

King of the Hill - It is funny, and it is set in Texas; what more could you ask for in a show? One of my favorite quotes from that show is when Hank tells Bobby, "There better be a naked cheerleader under your bed" after seeing Bobby holding a cheerleader's uniform

Third Rock from the Sun - It's funny. All of the characters are amusing.

The New Yankee Workshop - That guy has got tons of tools in his workshop.

The Red-Green Show - I don't think that they are making any new episodes, but it was great while it lasted.

The Red Green Show is awesome! They still play it from 10 to 11 where I live, so if I manage to finish my homework, I watch it to wind down.

Mythbusters is also a really great show.

Most of the stuff on the history channel is fascinating, especially Mail Call.

I almost always watch soccer or skiing if I happen to catch them on.

What, nobody mentions House?!?

This new medical drama on Fox, here in NY is run on Tuesdays, 9pm.

Greg House is a modern adaptation of Sherlock Holmes to the character of a genius doctor who runs his own department specializing in severe and exotic cases. He's addicted to pain killers, sarcastic, and seems to care nothing about his crew or his patients. He constantly rides everyone and he is brutally honest. He breaks every possible law and regulation.

He cares only about one thing: solving the problem, and saving the patient.

The show is brilliant, and House is my new hero.

If you don't check it out, you're not real Objectivists. :worry:

From what I have seen of House, I love it. I have only watched two or three episodes but I have a feeling this will become a 'must watch' show for me. Dr. House's antisocial attitude really speaks to me for some reason. They way he nags the obligatory beautiful female doctor is probably the best part of the show.

Yesss! In the first episode he told her that he only hired her for her looks. When she protested that she is a great doctor, and among the top of her class he told her: but not THE top.

She asks him: are you saying there were better candidates but you picked me because of my looks?

House: Sure, is that so hard to believe? I needed someone to brighten up the place. Now what are you going to do, sue me for unlawful hiring?

Then later on they discover he hired the brilliant black doctor because he has a criminal record, and House needed someone to break into patients houses to find out causes for their disease.

So politically incorrect! You gotta love it. :D

Oooh, I found this precious list of quotes from Dr. House. The names after each quote is the name of the chapter.

Dr. Foreman is black, and has a criminal record from his teenage years. Dr. House has a walking cane, and is addicted to painkillers.

QUOTES:

Cameron - "If it's cancer, he can't pitch again. If this was a regular guy who broke his arm lifting a box you'd pack him up and send him home."

House - "My God, you're right. I lost my head. All life is equally sacred. And I promise you, the next knitting injury that comes in, we're on it like stink on cheese."

- Sports Medicine

"Foreman, how are you fixed for cash? Steal any cars lately?"

- Sports Medicine

Lola - "Even if real human contact is something you don't have, or even want, or need, you should at least be able to see it in other people.

House - "Right. True love. That's just how we match organs these days. There's a couple in France, high school sweethearts, they're trading brains."

- Sports Medicine

"Let me talk to shipping. I speak their language. Foul."

- Detox

Cuddy - "You know, there are other ways to manage pain."

House - "Like what? Laughter? Meditation? You got a guy that can fix my third chakra?"

- Detox

"You always trust me. It's a big mistake."

- Detox

House to Foreman: "Go check out the 'hood, dog."

- Histories

Foreman - "A tuberculoma doesn't give you a temperature of 105."

Chase - "Then it's a tuberculoma and something else."

Wilson - "The 'something else' is going to melt her brain."

House - "Poach. Better metaphor."

- Histories

Foreman - "You assaulted that man!"

House - "Fine. I'll never do it again."

Foreman - "Yes you will."

House - "All the more reason this debate is pointless."

- DNR

House - "That paralysis thing. Guy can't walk for two years, nobody knows why. It seems mildly interesting."

Cuddy - "Forget his paralysis."

House - "Tell that to the rest of his bowling team."

- DNR

"Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There’s a 'me,' though, if you jumble it up."

- DNR

"I'm extremely disappointed. I send you out for exciting new designer drugs, you come back with tomato sauce."

- Poison

Dr. House - "I assume 'minimal at best' is your stiff upper lip British way of saying 'no chance in hell.'"

Chase - "Actually, I'm Australian."

Dr. House - "You put the Queen on your money, you're British."

- Poison 

Patient's mother - "Who are you?"

Dr. House - "I'm the doctor who's trying to save your son. You're the mom who's letting him die. Clarification. It's a beautiful thing."

- Poison 

Dr. House - "Mr. Adams, would you step outside for a moment?"

Adams - "Why?"

Dr. House - "Because you irritate me."

- Poison 

"Candy canes? Are you trying to mock me?"

- Damned If You Do

"Don't worry. Many women learn to live with this parasite. My own mother, for example. Forty-five years and she only complains about it now from time to time."

- Maternity

Dr. House - "How are we doing on cotton swabs today? If there's a critical shortage, I could run home."

Dr. Cuddy - "No you couldn't."

Dr. House - "Nice."

- Occam's Razor

"Her leg hurts after running six miles. Who knows? Could be anything."

- Occam’s Razor

Dr. House - "Unfortunately, you have a deeper problem. Your wife is having an affair."

Patient - "What?!"

Dr. House - "You're orange, you moron. And it's one thing for you not to notice, but if your wife hasn't picked up on the fact that her husband has changed colors, she's just not paying attention."

- Pilot

"Treating illness is why we became doctors. Treating patients is actually what makes most doctors miserable."

- Pilot

[Edited to add a few more typos]

Edited by erandror

Law and Order - Original series only. All the spin-offs, including the show-a-likes (CSI), seem to just focus on the crime or the individual characters' personal lives.

Inuyasha (Imported, also on Cartoon Network) - Animated. ;) Has a very cute love story that spans almost the entire series and deals with important moral issues. The main character begins as a very close-minded individual who doesn't seem to totally understand his own values. As he adventures, he meets new friends and gains new values. Although, like most anime, don't expect riviting philosophy in every episode.

Monk - Neurotic detective saves the day.

Venture Brothers (Cartoon Network) - Hilarious spoof-type show that pulls from Johnny Quest and other old sci-fi toons. There's usually a mystery to solve, but it tends to take a back seat to the strange plots of washed up, ridiculous super-villains.

Law and Order (yeah, we all seem to like this.... :-) )

The Secrets of World War Two series

Star Trek (as fanciful as alot of it is)

Third Rock from the Sun

Monty Pytons Flying Circus ( I know, it s not on much anymore alot in most countries, however it is still brillant)

The Simpsons

Malcolm in the Middle

And pretty much any interesting and reasonably accurate historically based doco

Battlestar Galactica (The New Series)

I have to mention that I was deeply disappointed by this show. The whole plot is naturalistic crap. The waste of potential there really saddens me.

Not on anymore-

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Angel

3rd Rock from the sun

Knight Rider

A-Team

Currently-

Smallville

Veronica Mars

House (which is really hard since it's on at the same time as VM)

Becker

Everybody Loves Raymond