Objectivism Online Forum

What are your favorite TV shows?

Rate this topic

DavidV

Did anyone see the Simpsons episode in which Maggie is placed in the Ayn Rand School for Tots?

"'A Streetcar Named Marge'

402 9F18

Original Airdate: 10/01/92

Marge is cast in the role of Blanche DuBois in Oh! Streetcar, the musical version of A Streetcar Named Desire directed by the flamboyant Llewellyn Sinclair at the Springfield Community Center. Homer isn't very supportive of Marge's interest in acting, so she uses her anger towards him for inspiration in some of the play's more emotional moments. Acting opposite Ned Flanders as Stanley Kowalski, Marge gets so absorbed in her role that at one point she nearly slashes Ned with a broken bottle. Meanwhile, Maggie has been placed in day care at the Ayn Rand School for Tots and leads a rebellion against the strict teachers. Watching Marge perform in the play, Homer is moved and realizes he should have been more supportive."

I've not seen it, but from the description it appears Maggie leads the revolt of the proletariat. :)

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have recently realized that THE COSBY SHOW is brilliant. Even in its earliest years, which is what syndication has allowed me to watch recently. I recently saw the episode where a very young Rudy wreck Cliff's juicer: the ending is romantically extraordinary and delightfully humorous.

I see why Bill Cosby got Mrs Rashad to join his later show called COSBY. (This show, eventually and every episode shows Cosby's comedic talent).

Americo.

So I finally saw HOUSE.  Dr. House is a joy to watch.  Funny as hell ... has me shaking my head all through, yet smiling.  The new tension with him and the billionaire chief is very amusing ... the show will suck if House loses in the end.

By the way, how did house get his cane?

Americo.

He didn't, and where he gets his cane was in the last three shows of this season. Apparently had had some kind of a clot, and would not let his leg be taken and a huge fight with his wife (who later left him over it), and because he refused surgery his leg was never the same, and is constantly in pain.

• 1 month later...

Spooks ---(or MI5 depending whih country you're in) During the first season I would have consider one of my favourite shows. It centered on Tom Quinn a prodigious MI5 agent and his crew as they protect Britain from various threats. (MI5 is sort of like the FBI of the UK)

Some of my favorite shows:

Seinfeld - Hilarious; I can watch a good episode 10 times and still laugh

Magnum PI - Very good acting, set in Hawaii, and blends the serious with comedy seamlessly. Plots are intriguing and Magnum is an ace investigator and is interesting to watch

Star Trek (TNG, and TOS): Good acting, intelligent plots, and compelling characters

The Simpsons: self-explanatory

Family Guy: Wacky brand of humor, intelligent "inside" jokes which I can't always follow, acerbic wit towards popular culture

NOVA/Nature: Two great shows on PBS, very interesting and informative: I always walk away learning something new

House MD: New favorite - House's character is rude, unapologetic, and downright funny. Plots are filled heavily with jargon but doesn't impede the plot too much

Dawson's Creek: I hesitate to put this down, but became hooked last summer with reruns on TBS, enjoying (much to my chagrin) the soap-operaish plots but couldn't stop watching. Dialogue is great - their vocabulary (highly developed) made for interesting shouting matches. Dawson's character was interesting passionate and motivated.

I remember that one. The caretaker was drawn to be really mean looking. There were signs on the wall that said "A is A" and "Helping is Futile." And the caretaker took away all the kids' pacifiers. Maggie's revolt comes about because she wants her pacifier back.

"'A Streetcar Named Marge'

402 9F18

Original Airdate: 10/01/92

Marge is cast in the role of Blanche DuBois in Oh! Streetcar, the musical version of A Streetcar Named Desire directed by the flamboyant Llewellyn Sinclair at the Springfield Community Center. Homer isn't very supportive of Marge's interest in acting, so she uses her anger towards him for inspiration in some of the play's more emotional moments. Acting opposite Ned Flanders as Stanley Kowalski, Marge gets so absorbed in her role that at one point she nearly slashes Ned with a broken bottle. Meanwhile, Maggie has been placed in day care at the Ayn Rand School for Tots and leads a rebellion against the strict teachers. Watching Marge perform in the play, Homer is moved and realizes he should have been more supportive."

I've not seen it, but from the description it appears Maggie leads the revolt of the proletariat. :(

House (love it!)

King of the Hill

Malcolm in the Middle

Simpsons

I love Lucy

The OC (only started watching the reruns this summer and got hooked)

Hell's Kitchen

GlobeTrekker

PBS documentaries

As you can tell I watch a lot of FOX (don't have cable).

Has anyone ever seen the Gilmore Girls? I know it sounds like a show for teenage girls, but you would be surprised how smart and witty it is. They make numerous references to Ayn Rand and unlike most TV shows they put her in a positive light. In one episode one of the main character strongly recommends that they read The Fountain Head. There are also several references to Howard Roark and other characters out of Ayn Rand’s novels. The dialog is quick, lively and very sharp. Everyone I introduce to the show start out skeptical but end up devoted to it.

Man, Gilmore Girls, Dawson's Creek, Buffy.... I've always written off all these shows as juvenile at best.  I will now have to give them a second look.

I would agree with you about Dawson's Creek and Buffy, but the Gilmore Girls are not the usual WB program.

Has anyone ever seen the Gilmore Girls? I know it sounds like a show for teenage girls, but you would be surprised how smart and witty it is. They make numerous references to Ayn Rand and unlike most TV shows they put her in a positive light. In one episode one of the main character strongly recommends that they read The Fountain Head. There are also several references to Howard Roark and other characters out of Ayn Rand’s novels.  The dialog is quick, lively and very sharp.  Everyone I introduce to the show start out skeptical but end up devoted to it.

I like the "Gilmore Girls" too, and I also noticed the many Ayn Rand references, but I have to disagree with you regarding their "positive light". Just recently I saw a scene where Rory asked Lorelei (I`m not sure how to spell the names) to give-up a contest so that Kirk, the town "loser" who has nothing else in his life, could win. Lorelei said "No" in a vicious way. Rory replied: "my mother, the Howard Roark of stars hollow". I really did not like that sentence and its false implication regarding Roark`s character, and I wanted to "bitch" about it somewhere, and you just gave me the opportunity.

But other than that, great show; I especially like Luke`s character.

Edited by A.A

I like the "Gilmore Girls" too, and I also noticed the many Ayn Rand references, but I have to disagree with you regarding their "positive light". Just recently I saw a scene where Rory asked Lorelei (I`m not sure how to spell the names) to give-up a contest so that Kirk, the town "loser" who has nothing else in his life, could win. Lorelei said "No" in a vicious way. Rory replied: "my mother, the Howard Roark of stars hollow". I really did not like that sentence and its false implication regarding Roark`s character, and I wanted to "bitch" about it somewhere, and you just gave me the opportunity.

But other than that, great show; I especially like Luke`s character.

I saw that episode too, although I saw it in a different angle. The way I saw it Lorelei refused to quite the competition on the grounds that it would be immoral for her to give up just so another could win, Rory was just aligning that idea with the philosophy portrayed by Howard Roark. I took it just as a cleaver comparison; it never even occurred to me that they might be portraying Roark’s character negatively. I doubt that they would seeing that it would be out of character for them to do so; however, I could be wrong and I will have to give it a second look.

Judge Judy rules.

How about Magnum PI? Haven't heard anyone mention that one.

My all-time favorite was the A Team, however. It's now available on DVD. :) Anyone ever catch the episode where Hannibal makes some crack at his Mexican captors and how they want to be like Che Guevara?? ha ha. My favorite character - it's a toss-up between him and Murdock.

How about Magnum PI?  Haven't heard anyone mention that one. 

Check on my favorites a couple of spaces up. Magnum rules!

Magnum PI - Very good acting, set in Hawaii, and blends the serious with comedy seamlessly. Plots are intriguing and Magnum is an ace investigator and is interesting to watch