Objectivism Online Forum

Miracle

Rate this topic

redfarmer

I just finished watching the Disney film Miracle and am very much blown away! I decided to watch it after watching the infamous 1980 USA vs. Soviet Union Olympic hockey upset on ESPN Classic last night. The game was very thrilling and I wanted to know more. This couldn't have prepared me for the rush that came from watching this movie.

As the jacket says, this is much more than just another sports movie. Herb Brooks was a passionate man who knew what he wanted and pushed this team to be what he knew they could be: the best team in the world. When the assistant coach asks the team doctor, a long time associate of Brooks', if he knows what he is doing, the doctor tells him, "He knows what he is doing. Everything he does has a purpose."

If you're a fan of hockey, you probably already know the story. The most amazing part of the story is simply watching it all happen.

The only thing I truly disliked about the movie was some of the comments made by Herb Brooks' wife. She seemed supportive and apprehensive at the same time.

Overall, I give the movie 8/10.

Has anyone else seen this movie?

Has anyone else seen this movie?

Yes, I saw it as soon as it was released for home-viewing.

I am biased in that hockey is my favorite sport. So, I enjoyed it a great deal. The filming of the playing sequences is particularly good & provides a good sense of what it's actually like in the midst of the action. Unless you've played or sat down by the boards at a game it can be difficult to "get a feel" for how hard & fast the game moves.

Kurt Russell was good as Brooks. The actor that played goalie Jim Craig was also good. Of course I don't really know how well he "acted" like Jim Craig the actual person; but it was a good performance. Especially since he was crucial to the team's victorious run. He really was a hero as he had to stand on his head (i.e. play really well, in fact, play the game of his life) when the US beat the USSR. I also enjoyed the scene when he confronts Brooks about the "test".

Glad you liked it. Are you a hockey fan? Too bad there's no season this year.

I just finished watching the Disney film Miracle and am very much blown away! I decided to watch it after watching the infamous 1980 USA vs. Soviet Union Olympic hockey upset on ESPN Classic last night. The game was very thrilling and I wanted to know more. This couldn't have prepared me for the rush that came from watching this movie.Has anyone else seen this movie?

I saw it about a year ago when first released into the theatres. Miracle is much more than a sports movie. It is about setting goals, adhering to principles, and not selling oneself short. Kurt Russell is magnificent and was sadly overlooked for the Best Actor Oscar.

The actor that played goalie Jim Craig was also good.  Of course I don't really know how well he "acted" like Jim Craig the actual person; but it was a good performance.  Especially since he was crucial to the team's victorious run.  He really was a hero as he had to stand on his head (i.e. play really well, in fact, play the game of his life) when the US beat the USSR.  I also enjoyed the scene when he confronts Brooks about the "test".

The actor who played Jim Craig was magnificent! I wanted to shout for victory everytime he blocked a goal from the Soviets.

They interviewed the real Jim Craig and Mike Eruzione last night after the replay of the game on ESPN Classic. I think they said Craig blocked the Soviets some 26 times during that game!

Anyways, they both said that Brooks influenced their lives tremendously and that his funeral was the first sad event their team had ever been together for.

Glad you liked it.  Are you a hockey fan?  Too bad there's no season this year.

Yes, I love hockey! I was also sad when the NHL announced they wouldn't have a season this year. I've been getting my hockey fix, though, by watching the college games on CSTV. :)

They interviewed the real Jim Craig and Mike Eruzione last night after the replay of the game on ESPN Classic. I think they said Craig blocked the Soviets some 26 times during that game!

That would have been neat to see. The final SOG total was USSR (36) - US (16).

Yes, I love hockey!

Me, too!!!

I've been getting my hockey fix, though, by watching the college games on CSTV.  :D

Hey, good for you! I'm pretty much stuck w/o watching for now.

Make up for it though by playing pick-up games with friends on weekends at a local rink. We play in-line (roller blades) 'cause there isn't any ice facility near where we live (out in the boonies in TN). Closest facility is 2.5 hours away in Nashville & ice time is expensive.

Hockey is an interesting combination (paradoxically) of the intensely physical & sublimely elegant.

Make up for it though by playing pick-up games with friends on weekends at a local rink.  We play in-line (roller blades) 'cause there isn't any ice facility near where we live (out in the boonies in TN).  Closest facility is 2.5 hours away in Nashville & ice time is expensive.

I would love to play some hockey but several factors aren't in my favour. For one, I never learned to skate. :D That is one thing that I really want to learn to do in the next few years. I tried to learn when I was a teenager but I gave up too fast.

For two, I live in Louisville, Kentucky, in the middle of basketball mania. Everyone around here loves basketball (and some football). Every other sport, it's hard to find people who love it. I guess you could say I'm a non-conformist with the sports I enjoy (my favorite are baseball, hockey, and soccer). I'm the only person I know of around here who likes hockey. We had a minor league franchise a few years back but it went bankrupt from lack of interest.

Hockey is an interesting combination (paradoxically) of the intensely physical & sublimely elegant.

Agreed. That is one of the reasons I love the sport.