Objectivism Online Forum
epistemologue

The Trolley Problem

Rate this topic

On 2/18/2019 at 9:51 PM, dreadrocksean said:

You action caused the death of an innocent person.  Regardless of the reason.  You intent was also to kill the innocent, so you cannot claim ignorance or accident.

My action?  I'm stuck on a train that will kill 1 person or 5 people no matter what I do.  I can only minimize the casualties.  

On 10/21/2016 at 2:39 PM, epistemologue said:

So you would murder an innocent stranger for the sake of the greater good?

What is this greater good? The greater good must have a relationship to self, to self interest. If there is none, the judgement is arbitrary. There is no difference in value if you do one or the other. One can throw a dice or one can ignore. Same value.

The question "why should I care" has to be answered first to place a value.

On 4/25/2019 at 9:15 AM, Craig24 said:

My action?  I'm stuck on a train that will kill 1 person or 5 people no matter what I do.  I can only minimize the casualties.  

Then minimizing casualties has something to do with your self interest, which is not being mentioned. Otherwise, there is no law in the universe which says 1 is better than 5.

On 4/25/2019 at 11:15 AM, Craig24 said:

That's not the topic though.  The Trolley problem has, at its core, the fact that your action makes a difference - "minimize the casualties".  "No matter what I do" - is incorrect.