Objectivism Online Forum

Wi-Fi Access -- the next public utility

Rate this topic

The mayor of Philadelphia wants to cover the city with government-funded WiFi access. The idea is that access to the internet is becoming a necessity of life -- much like water or electricity.

Some counties (e.g. Oakland County, Michigan) have announced similar plans.

On the opposite tack, a legislator in Texas wants government to stay out of WiFi..

Now -- before attitudes and laws are formulated -- is the time for activism on this issue.

So, get out your pen and write your favorite newspaper today.

The mayor of Philadelphia wants to cover the city with government-funded WiFi access. The idea is that access to the internet is becoming a necessity of life -- much like water or electricity.

Some counties (e.g. Oakland County, Michigan) have announced similar plans.

On the opposite tack, a legislator in Texas wants government to stay out of WiFi..

Now -- before attitudes and laws are formulated -- is the time for activism on this issue.

So, get out your pen and write your favorite newspaper today.

This will be a death blow to a huge industry. Yet, I can safely say I saw it coming when that project in NYC started making noise.

TomL and I were discussing this subject in #objectivist a few nights ago.

The mayor of San Francisco wants to offer a public, city-wide WiFi service. The irony in this is that San Francisco is already covered in free, privately-funded WiFi hot spots. I visit the city often with my laptop, and I never once have had to pay for internet service. Offering free WiFi is a great marketing tool, especially in that area. All of the cafes in the city are jumping on the bandwagon just to keep up with the competition. The last time I was there I saw a small sidewalk coffee cart that had a few chairs and tables set up around it, with a "Free WiFi Hot Spot" sign.