Objectivism Online Forum

Masters Programs in Philosophy

Rate this topic

As of now, I plan on pursuing a masters in philosophy followed by a Ph.D.

I have heard, and it seems to make sense, that it is best to pursue a masters in philosophy at universities that do not also offer the Ph.D. in philosophy. The logic behind this is that one has a better chance of receiving more attention and money if there are no Ph.D. philosophy students to get those things first.

That being said, does anyone have any suggestions as to universities that are masters-only in the philosophy department and are good?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

It was my understanding that most students seeking a Ph.D. in Philosophy just skip the Master's and begin work on their Ph.D. immediately after getting their Bachelor's degree. There doesn't seem to be any advantage to having a Master's in addition to the Ph.D. in philosophy. Is there any particular reason you want to do a Master's program instead of going straight for the Ph.D.?

Yeah, I was curious about that too. You might not know this, but from what I've heard, most PH.D. programs in philosophy won't put any of the MA work toward your PH.D., so you'll be starting over pretty much from scratch. This may not be true at some programs, but I think it's pretty much universally true at schools which have a "respectible" program for philosophy. (i.e., one which will give you a shot at a job in academia, if that's what you're looking for.)

From my knowledge so far, going for a masters instead of straight to the Ph.D is suggested for students coming from small liberal arts schools who do not feel confident enough in there knowledge of philosophy (both apply to me). I feel that I can gain much experience and knowledge from the extra time spent in a masters program. Plus, if I am not mistaken, I should have a better chance of actually getting into a Ph.D program if I have a masters as well. However, I will be applying to a few Ph.D. progarms and should I get into one, I will most likely take that opportunity.

• 4 weeks later...