Objectivism Online Forum

Does death give life meaning? Does happiness require struggling to survive?

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, intrinsicist said:
On 9/23/2017 at 12:35 AM, Easy Truth said:

I hesitate to participate in this thought exercise because immortality is not even possible.

Why do you think that?

Immortal means living beyond x, any x (number of time units). 
X being eternally undefinable, it does not exist.
If X does not exist, then living beyond X also does not exist.

Just as infinite does not exist, immortal does not exist either.

I would assume that you will also argue that infinity exists, that it is intrinsic vs. being a helpful concept in the mind.
If you believe it actually exists, you could see it as possible.

If you are immortal, you will not be able to kill your self. It may be something you will wish to do.

I don't see why immortality implies a lack of ability to kill yourself. It certainly isn't necessary to the point of this thread - one could imagine such a strong power of resilience that involuntary death is a solved problem, while voluntary death is still entirely possible.

Immortal by definition means incapable of dying. Dying is impossible for an immortal.

And you probably well say "yes, until he dies". Well then, you are speaking of an immortal that is not immortal.

If it is possible to die, then it is mortal, not immortal.
Only a dead object does not have a possibility of dying, and it is not immortal.

Clearly, long life would be possible and X number of years is finite.
One does not say immortal until X number of years. That is still mortal (voluntarily dying or involuntarily dying)

Some say until the end of time. What is the end of time? 
If there was such an "ending" immortal would end up meaning mortal.

We will not be human anymore

What I'm describing is what being a human is like. All of the things I've mentioned aren't unique to me, they are intrinsic in human nature. It's death that is anti-human.

Okay, death is anti human. Obviously death is not human just as life is not human. They are different concepts.

Mortality is an attribute of being human. In fact living in a body is also part of the definition of being human. Once these attributes are not present, one would be describing a different entity.

20 hours ago, intrinsicist said:

We will not be human anymore

What I'm describing is what being a human is like. All of the things I've mentioned aren't unique to me, they are intrinsic in human nature. It's death that is anti-human.

After thinking more about it, I think what you mean by immortal is non-aging. Meaning mortal but non-aging (never getting old). In that way, one would go to work and eat because if they don't they will die.

If, on the other hand, one is immortal, then the concept of motivation, pleasure and pain go away. Why go to work, you don't have to. Why stop yourself from eating all the ice cream you want, you will never die. Why prevent yourself from jumping off a cliff, it won't kill you. There would be no "ought to" or ethics, no right way or wrong way, no better or worse way. What is the reason to do anything?

Clearly, immortality is not of this world. It is only in imagination.