Objectivism Online Forum

anyone go to any of these colleges:

Rate this topic

umm heyyy guys!

ne1 go to mammoth rugeters princeton uri villanova NYU barnard colombia  UofA or ASU tell me how they are!!

Rugeters? Rugeters?! Is that in Florida? Well, I know that they manufacture lots of cocaine in Colombia. And U of Alaska is, at least by reputation, really cool. So where is Alaska State U? I don't know; Juneau?

Why is this in the movie section and what does it have to do wit Objectivism. Also without being rude all the inproper grammer violates the rules of the forum.

Rugeters? Rugeters?! Is that in Florida? Well, I know that they manufacture lots of cocaine in Colombia. And U of Alaska is, at least by reputation, really cool. So where is Alaska State U? I don't know; Juneau?

ok rugeters is is new jersey Colombia is a university in new york city and U of A is the university of arizona im sorry i just assumed people would know that

Why is this in the movie section and what does it have to do wit Objectivism. Also without being rude all the inproper grammer violates the rules of the forum.

im sorry i put this in the movie section it was a mistake(sometimes made by humans). Sorry i didn't know about the language thanks for letting me know though.

ok rugeters is is new jersey Colombia is a university in new york city and U of A is the university of arizona im sorry i just assumed people would know that

A suggestion: act as though you care. Rutgers is in New Jersey. There is no place called rugeters, nor is there any new jersey, unless you're talking of a shipment of sweat shirts. Colombia is a country just north of Ecuador. Columbia is a university in New York (I know of no place "new york"). You know what happens if you assume.

Rutgers has a good philosophy department.

im sorry i put this in the movie section it was a mistake(sometimes made by humans). Sorry i didn't know about the language thanks for letting me know though.

Just because humans make mistakes doesn't mean we shouldn't point it out when they are made. You don't seem to have gotten the point about the "language." If you had, you would have said: "I'm sorry. I didn't know about the language. Thanks for letting me know." Is English your first language? If not, we will take that into consideration.

Why do you want to know about these colleges? Are you planning to go to one of them? If you are, what are you planning to study? It is hard to answer such a general question. (Not that I could answer it anyway :) , but as a general rule of thumb on the forum, it's best to be specific.)

Just because humans make mistakes doesn't mean we shouldn't point it out when they are made. You don't seem to have gotten the point about the "language." If you had, you would have said: "I'm sorry. I didn't know about the language. Thanks for letting me know." Is English your first language? If not, we will take that into consideration.

Why do you want to know about these colleges? Are you planning to go to one of them? If you are, what are you planning to study? It is hard to answer such a general question. (Not that I could answer it anyway :) , but as a general rule of thumb on the forum, it's best to be specific.)

Thank you for your help. Yes, English is my first language. THank you for asking. Yes, I plan to go to one of these colleges. That is why I asked. I wanted to know from real students from those universities. I did not know though, that when I "stumbled upon" this website, It would be full of people whose mission in life was to make people sound like idiots. Now I know. I see that you sound like a nice person, but may lack in the skills when knowing that you may have said something quite mean. I'm sorry i am not as smart as you people, but the problem may be beacause im only 13. Going to this website was a mistake, i decided to make a post just for fun, sadly my expierence was not fun. But, atleast i may have a funny story to tell my friends tommorow when i told them that all of these old people made fun of me. Wow what a wonderful life i have. Now, whoever wrote this post to me, know that this last message was for everyone and not just for you. You are not bad at all. I actually like your kindness with a flair of attitude. I wish you well. Sadly, i will not return to this website, for i see now that it is "not my scene". Thank you for giving me a better understanding of life (seriously).

Jenna

QueenBee, you can get a LOT out of this website IF you stick with it, and people here for the most part aren't mean, but we do value things and one of those these is a well written post(or at least an attempt at it) because it demostrates rational thinking. Which is what we are all trying to improve on here. But make your own choice.

Thank you for your help. Yes, English is my first language. THank you for asking. Yes, I plan to go to one of these colleges. That is why I asked. I wanted to know from real students from those universities. I did not know though, that when I "stumbled upon" this website, It would be full of people whose mission in life was to make people sound like idiots. Now I know. I see that you sound like a nice person, but may lack in the skills when knowing that you may have said something quite mean. I'm sorry i am not as smart as you people, but the problem may be beacause im only 13. Going to this website was a mistake, i decided to make a post just for fun, sadly my expierence was not fun. But, atleast i may have a funny story to tell my friends tommorow when i told them that all of these old people made fun of me. Wow what a wonderful life i have. Now, whoever wrote this post to me, know that this last message was for everyone and not just for you. You are not bad at all. I actually like your kindness with a flair of attitude. I wish you well. Sadly, i will not return to this website, for i see now that it is "not my scene". Thank you for giving me a better understanding of life (seriously).

Jenna

I'm sorry you *stumbled upon* this website and think that our mission in life is to make you look like an idiot. It isn't. But that's what happens when you don't look before you leap, so to speak. You would have known about the language rules if you had read the forum rules before posting (always advisable). We have no choice to interpret the way you ignored the forum rules as disrespectful. Obviously, you did not mean to be disrespectful. It appears to me that you did not realize what you had *stumbled upon.* This is the best forum I have ever been on, because people here have a profound respect for ideas. If you respect ideas, you will present them in a respectful manner, which includes proper grammar and punctuation. I realize that this is not the case on most internet forums, but OO.net is not like "other internet forums." If you had gone through the normal routine of posting an intorduction in "Introductions," and given your age and such, I think you would have found us a lot more receptive.

I hope that you will read this and look into the forum a bit more.

BTW~ I am only fifteen.

EDIT: Thirteen is quite young to be looking into colleges. :)

EDIT (again): I forgot to say, that our reaction to your post had nothing to do with your intelligence. It was just that you seemed like you did not care about what you were writing, and I take offense to that because I value this forum.

Edited by non-contradictor

• 1 year later...

I graduated Rutgers University - New Brunswick in January 2006.

If you like the "do it yourself" plan to college, then Rutgers is the place for you. Generally speaking the students are from more middle-class and lower-class families and the folks are down to Earth (if your family has money in NJ chances are they shipped you out of state).

The class sizes are very large, some of them getting into the 200-300 area. The academic advisors shouldn't even have jobs and the New Brunswick transportation infrastructure is something the third world would be proud of. Beware that it takes about an hour to get between different parts of campus because of the bottleneck running through New Brunswick which pushes all the traffic onto one street. They are spending millions to improve the main highway (Route 18) but I don't see how this will stem the traffic problem.

Rents in New Brunswick and Highland Park are higher than Manhattan and if you could find an affordable room chances are it's smaller than a prison cell or you share it with someone else that has his/her boy/girlfriend over every night. New Brunswick is a terrible "college town" because of the high crime rates stemming from the poor areas around the campus. It's not "Catholic University bad" but bad enough. There was a string of rapes and robberies in the area last year and the police constantly bicker over who has juristiction over the crimes.

For a major university the newspaper is a joke. The student government censors the newspaper's comments that are critical of their organization =D So much for being "liberals".

Academically, Rutgers is the best value for New Jersey residents although tuitions are among the highest for state universities. But you'll come away with a strong public-Ivy education that will spring you into grad school or a career. To go to Rutgers you need a thick skin dealing not only with the administration but the large class sizes, traffic, cost of living and other perils of living in New Brunswick. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and if you could get through Rutgers you could probably deal with anything in life.

I'm applying for their full-time MBA program in professional accounting, so a Rutgers degree certainly opens some doors for you.

Monmouth University is actually about 15 minutes away from me. Most middle-of-the-road students in my high school went to Monmouth. It's damn expensive and don't even think about living in the West Long Branch/Deal/Ocean area which probably has some of the most inflated real estate prices in the NYC Metro Area.

Some treat Monmouth as a community college for rich kids. If you didn't want the stigma of going to Brookdale Community (which is one of the top 5 community colleges in the country, BTW) and your parents have the bucks then you went to Monmouth. The campus though is beautiful and from what I hear the housing is pretty good too. But I know a couple (smart) people that went to Monmouth that told me horror stories about their less-than-average peers I also knew some professors that taught there I was wasn't impressed.

If you want a country-club community college than Monmouth is the place for you.

That's what you need to know about RU and MU.

Unless youre mainly wanting to know about the reputation or social life that these colleges have, you'd be best posting what it is that you plan on doing. For instance, Rutgers is well known for having a strong philosophy department (as David said), and so is NYU. But this doesnt necessarily mean that these colleges are going to be top class for other subjects. Princeton obviously has the best reputation out of the ones you listed and is well known for its world class grad school, but whether or not it would be best for your undergraduate degree will depend on what you were doing, and what you wanted to get out of it. Also, is price an issue for you? An education at somewhere like Princeton is going to cost you a fair few dollars, and whether this is worth it will depend on your particular situation.

Edited by Hal

As for Monmouth College (I don't care that it's referred to as a "University" now) I have the unique perspective of living across the street from it. Two houses on my street are rented by college bums - they party just about every night of the week and in the morning, you can find beer cans, shoes, and underwear even blocks away. I second ToolboxNj about Monmouth being a rich alternative to community college - except that the people who go to Brookdale are probably smarter and better behaved then the goons who invariably matriculate there. Please - if you live in NJ don't consider Monmouth at all - and if you attend from out of state then there's something wrong with you. I personally wouldn't attend Monmouth if they paid me to. Thankfully, I'll be going away to college next year and won't have to deal with Monmouth for awhile, but I feel sorry that my family still has to.

As for Rutgers - it's a good value for in-state students and if you can get into the Honors College at New Brunswick, your education should be on par with any other University/LAC. Several of my friends are going there next year because it's a decent alternative if you aren't poor enough to receive a lot of financial aid and aren't rich enough to finance the entire tuition out of pocket.

If you have any questions about the college admissions, process or colleges in general then please don’t hesitate to PM me, as I've just finished the whole rigmarole recently.