• 26 - 30
    • 31 - 35
    • 36 - 40
    • 41 - 45
    • 46 - 50
    • 51 - 55
    • 56 - 60
    • over 60

I am in the "new 40s" bracket. In Korea, when a man reached 60, he was given a delicate little hat made from horsehair and a delicate, long-stemmed pipe made of clay. The delicacy of these items symbolized his retirement from the work-a-day world and his new status as a wise elder who sat in the shade and dispensed wisdom to all who should draw near. You may consider me so hatted and so piped and so prepared to dispense. These years that have wreaked havoc on my visage have surely left me a shred of wisdom I can share. Now, if I can only remember where I put it....

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am in the "new 40s" bracket. In Korea, when a man reached 60, he was given a delicate little hat made from horsehair and a delicate, long-stemmed pipe made of clay. The delicacy of these items symbolized his retirement from the work-a-day world and his new status as a wise elder who sat in the shade and dispensed wisdom to all who should draw near. You may consider me so hatted and so piped and so prepared to dispense. These years that have wreaked havoc on my visage have surely left me a shred of wisdom I can share. Now, if I can only remember where I put it....

An addendum to the little humor I just added: It is very encouraging to see the number of young members in the Forum. Please realize how fortunate you are to have this venue to share your enthusiasm for Objectivism with others your age and with older Objectivists who appreciate and maybe even envy a little the excitement of discovery.

It will be rare if you find somewhere else as receptive an ear as you find here.

I think it's over there... under your fine horsehair hat?

It's a delight to have you here!

I think it's over there... under your fine horsehair hat?

It's a delight to have you here!

Why, thanks, hon. I knew it had to be somewhere. As I am wont to do, I did a quick scan of your posts. Quite a wide range of interests there. If I may ask, what area of art and design are you working in? I got my BA in Fine Arts about a hundred years ago. About the time I was finishing up, I was realizing I was never going to make a living with it. Fortunately, the AF saved me. I had to go but I ended up liking it and stayed in. I satisfied my creative urges with photography, woodwork, and, most recently, gourd craft.

I will keep an eye out for your posts.

BTW, the picture you posted of you in your 20s do was amazing. You should keep your hair marcelled. It's a good look for you. ES

What kind of woodworking do you enjoy?

I've made a few pieces of furniture for the house. I enjoy working with handtools and I like the handmade look of Southwest colonial (if there is such a category). I've made a few jewelry boxes for my wife, daughter, and oldest granddaughter.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm 51.

Sometimes I feel like I'm 101, sometimes like I'm in my thirties, and very often I behave like I'm 12 years old!! (I and my friends at work are pranksters to some extent.)

I've met people who are in their 20's and act like they're 12 years old; throwing tantrums and the like. I've met people who are in their 20's and have the maturity of a 51 year old. And I've met people, both exposed to Ayn Rand at an early age and those who don't know who she was, who have become cynical in their later years, who laugh and have a "good time" with people but who feel threatened by anyone who has a rational, sunlit, joyous, benevolent, "can-do" sense-of-life. I do not want to become one of those people.

And I am working on getting rid of the fear of aging I've had over the last 5-10 years. I want to feel, no matter what age I am, that I am happy to be that age, just as I was happy to be 20, 30 and even 40.

Frank Lloyd Wright expressed the attitude I want to achieve, and that I think everyone should have, no matter what their age. On the Mike Wallace Interview program in the late 50's, he was asked by Wallace about his feelings regarding aging. He replied: "'Young' has no meaning for me; it's something you can do nothing about. But youth is a quality, and if you have it you never lose it." He was 88 when he said that, and still designing buildings.

Just signed up here today, put some weight on the scale for the oldies. I am 63 years young. I agree with you guys that the older people are scared of computers still (roll eyes), but you would think that people who think would have an easier time with it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
I've graduated from my demographic. :(
Me too!

That's the "problem" with a poll about age that stays in place for years. Instead of showing the distribution of members' ages, it shows the distribution of members' ages at the time they came across the poll.

At two points in time, I recorded the distributions and added them to the very first post in this thread. They've stayed almost constant over time. By implication, the age distributions of people who're arriving at the forum and exploring it has stayed constant over time.

What's not so clear is the current age-distribution.

Maybe we should have a new poll that stays open only for a short while.