Objectivism Online Forum

Why Businessmen Need Philosophy

Rate this topic

I'm curious why this book is said to be authored by Ayn Rand when only 2 of the articles are by her. There are certainly more articles in it by Dr. Peikoff, why is not said to be written by him. When I saw that it was written by Ayn Rand, I ordered it from the bookstore, but was very disappointed to see that only two of the articles were by her. It is still a good book, and i especially like the title article, but i think it is more than a little misleading. Does anyone know why "they" decided to claim that Ayn Rand was the author of the book?

When I saw that it was written by Ayn Rand, I ordered it from the bookstore, but was very disappointed to see that only two of the articles were by her.

Hmmm...well, I don't have a heck of a lot of sympathy for you. Did you order it online? From a brick-and-mortar bookstore? If it was online, was it from Amazon.com or from the Ayn Rand Bookstore? In either case, I would think with a smidgeon of effort you would quickly realize how the book's contents are distributed. In fact, you could have spent under 30 seconds before you placed your order and found out the exact table of contents on www.aynrandbookstore.com. In any event, I would imagine you need only return the book for a refund, if you feel misled. It just seems you are being pretty nitpicky and looking to complain for the sake of complaining.

I purchased the book about a month ago, and when I opened it up I was surprised as well.

I agree with NIJamesHughes that the cover of the book is confusing.

It states:

"Why Businessmen Need Philosophy

By Ayn Rand

with additional essay by .... (list of six other Objectivist writers)."

What's confusing is the fact that the title of the book is also the title of one of the essays in the book - which is by Leonard Peikoff.

It's not really a big deal, but I'm also curious if anyone knows why ARI decided to say the book was by Ayn Rand, when the book contains only two of her essays and the title essay is in fact by Leonard Peikoff.

It's not really a big deal, but I'm also curious if anyone knows why ARI decided to say the book was by Ayn Rand, when the book contains only two of her essays and the title essay is in fact by Leonard Peikoff.

My guess is simply marketing. And it may not even be the choice of ARI, it may have been the choice of the publisher. You will sell more copies of a book if it has Ayn Rand's name on it as the primary author, than if it were any of the other authors in the book. Another example of this is the paperback version of The Ominous Parallels. At first glance, Ayn Rand's name appears more prominently on the cover than Leonard Piekoff's.

If you look at the table of contents listed on the Ayn Rand Bookstore's website, it clearly lays out all the essays and who they are written by.

Hmmm...well, I don't have a heck of a lot of sympathy for you. Did you order it online? From a brick-and-mortar bookstore? If it was online, was it from Amazon.com or from the Ayn Rand Bookstore? In either case, I would think with a smidgeon of effort you would quickly realize how the book's contents are distributed. In fact, you could have spent under 30 seconds before you placed your order and found out the exact table of contents on www.aynrandbookstore.com. In any event, I would imagine you need only return the book for a refund, if you feel misled. It just seems you are being pretty nitpicky and looking to complain for the sake of complaining.

I never said that I don't like the book, in fact I said that I enjoyed it very much, I was just disappointed to see that only two of the articles were by Miss Rand. Its not being "nitpicky" or "complaining just to complain" to ask why the book claims Ayn Rand as the author.