Objectivism Online Forum

Terry Goodkind

Rate this topic

Richard Roark

I am new here...finally someplace where i can talk with other Objectivist...what a relief..if only i could meet a woman who is also an objectivist..but that is another subject. Anyway I was wondering if anybody has read Terry Goodkind and also to recommend terry goodkind to any Objectivist out there looking for a good intellectual and enjoyable read.

Richard Roark

here goes his web page: www.terrygoodkind.com

Edited by Richard Roark

Hey Richard:

Welcome to the forum! If you haven't already, take a look around, there are many quality posts made by many quality minds here. Also, check out the <a href="http://wiki.objectivismonline.net/Forum_rules">forum rules</a>, specifically those that discuss grammar and the insertion of links into posts.

That being said, there is a certain level of formality that is expected and necessitated by the nature of the ideas discussed in this forum. Also, discussion of outside material, such as that of Mr. Goodkind, should begin with a meaningful characterization of his work prior to linking to his site (unless the subject is already well known to members of the forum), otherwise it seems like blatant advertisement ( <_< ).

Finally, we should all remember to recite the intellectual's prayer ( :D ) prior to every post (written by <a href="http://forum.ObjectivismOnline.com/index.php?showuser=1">GC</a>):

Dear god(s), Grant me courage and eloquence to boldly speak the truth when I know it; honesty to keep my mouth shut when I don't, the wisdom to know the difference, and the determination and integrity to discover the facts.

Thank You for the Reprimend Felipe....Anyway...i will put terry goodkind into a proper context and why i have brought him up on the Objectivist Forum then. He is a fantasy author who is also an objectivst, and portrays objectivism in all of his books. Obviously, Elle has read him since she picked up on my Screen name right away. I was only wondering if a any body had read him on this site and to possibly discuss his work here in a more meaniful way then i could on his site. Also i wanted to suggest his work to any body looking for a really good read that expresses profound ideas. Wasn't trying to blatantly break any rules. Also i just found the sword of truth thread in the Aesthetics Section of the forum...Sorry didn't do a thorough search of all the forums :D i guess before posting the topic...I would delete it myself, but i don't have that option. <_<

Richard Roark

Edited by Richard Roark

Thank You for the Reprimend Felipe....Anyway...i will put terry goodkind into a proper context and why i have brought him up on the Objectivist Forum then. He is a fantasy author who is also an objectivst, and portrays objectivism in all of his books. Obviously, Elle has read him since she picked up on my Screen name right away. I was only wondering if a any body had read him on this site and to possibly discuss his work here in a more meaniful way then i could on his  site.

There are several threads related to that purpose. Try doing a search with the keyword "goodkind".

Welcome. <_<

Thank You for the Reprimend Felipe....  Wasn't trying to blatantly break any rules. Also i just found the sword of truth thread in the Aesthetics Section of the forum...Sorry didn't do a thorough search of all the forums  :dough:  i guess before posting the topic...I would delete it myself, but i don't have that option.  <_<

Richard Roark

I can delete this thread at your request (PM me with your reasons) but I think it is fine left here, as an introduction for yourself. Keep in mind that while Felipe was reminding you of the rules, with benevolence and tact, I am sure we are all happy to have you here and the rules are simply regarded as an important part of keeping the forum at a high level of quality.

Posts made solely for advertising a website or anything else are not allowed because they become the equivalent of spam and can take over the forum and create a lot of work in deletion for the moderators. There is marketplace section of the forum for advertising and selling things.

Once again, welcome, and I hope you are not put off by the gentle reminder to consult the rules. :D

Edited by Elle

Not at all Elle. I was actually being geniune when i thanked Felipe for the reprimend. Don't worry i'll be around, but don't know how much i will actually contribute to any thing on the forum. I don't tend to spend much time at forums mainly for the simple reason that one can spend so much time at a forum that you wonder where the hours went. Anyway, see you around.

Richard Roark

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Er...I fail to see how the fact that he has characters called Bruce etc in any way proves your point. I suppose you would contend that "Richard" is also unimaginative.

However none of that really matters. It really is quite silly to judge a book too much based on the fact that the author does not bother to come up with new and original names. The proper names for characters are not those that are original, that should not be a criteria for choosing such names or judging the work. The best names are those that either have a meaning that the readers might be able to associate with certain qualities, or the sound of which might invoke in the reader certain associations. Originality is really not an issue at all (though it would be wise to avoid infringing on any trademarks obviously).

The appreciation of art is left to the individual. It is pointless and vain to attempt to argue with someone over what boils down to personal preference. We could have a rational argument over the technical skill of the writing, the complexity of the linguistics used, and so forth.

We cannot have a rational argument over whether or not one likes the names.

Many people found the series to start well but go downhill quickly after book 2 or 3. I am currently on book 6 and am still enjoying it immensely. I *like* the simple character names intermingled with the complex.

But that is my personal preference.