Objectivism Online Forum

If you have questions on Objectivism or its application, I run a show that you may find valuable

Rate this topic

Hello everyone. 

I run a podcast that explicates those tenets of Objectivism that I have, over the years, personally seen are perennially misunderstood. These include issues like free will, Objectivism's relationship to libertarianism, whether the choice to live is arbitrary, how the universe can be finite without having had a beginning, and many, many more. I also answer questions sent in by listeners, apply Objectivism to current events, teach the history of philosophy, do theme analyses of popular art, make my own original philosophical points, have discussions with interesting guests, etc. 

Ever since Dr. Peikoff ended his show, there's been a lack of this kind of resource and content. None of the other current Objectivist offerings are philosophy shows. They're discussion shows on news and politics and, sometimes, Objectivist principles, but none of them are run by people who consider themselves to be philosophers first, and it shows. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but there's unsatisfied demand without people like Dr. Peikoff, or even Dr. Hsieh, around.

I feel comfortable offering myself as some kind of replacement because I'm both an Objectivist and a philosopher, and I have real expertise on Objectivism in particular and philosophy in general. I know there are plenty of crackpots around who don't know what they're talking about, or who do nothing but inarticulately rehash Ayn Rand's formulations, or who claim to be Christian Objectivists and all manner of bizarre things. I don't blame you for thinking I may be just another one of those people, because there are many of them. All I ask is that you give me a listen and see if I don't offer clarifying presentations of topics of interest to you.

The show is on YouTube, iTunes, SoundCloud, and elsewhere. I've released five episodes so far, and am releasing the sixth today. I have several additional episodes already recorded and copious notes for dozens more. If you have questions or feedback, feel free to email me at [email protected].

Oh, and together the fifth and sixth episodes present my two-and-a-half-hour discussion with Ken Levine, creator of BioShock, a famous video game that criticized Objectivism. I mention that in case there are any gamers here. 

Anyway, I've lurked here over the years and I figured this was one of my best bets to get quality audience members. I hope you find my work valuable!

Thanks for sharing!

I am not sure you really discussed more than the basics of Objectivism. That's fine, but I didn't feel I was getting anything new. I can't tell if your audience is people like me who know the general ideas already, or people who want the overview.

So I skipped to the Ken Levine part. hoping to see what ideas he used to develop BioShock or System Shock (System Shock 2 is incredible on many levels). But you talked to him as a philosopher, which he isn't, rather than writer who uses philosophical ideas and inspiration. There was a lot to talk about regarding aesthetics and game design. He's an expert on both. But you spent more time on politics, which he is maybe good at, but not at your level at all.

I feel like you can get at deeper ideas that are new!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 6/5/2017 at 3:27 AM, Charles Tew said:

I know there are plenty of crackpots around who don't know what they're talking about, or who do nothing but inarticulately rehash Ayn Rand's formulations, or who claim to be Christian Objectivists and all manner of bizarre things. I don't blame you for thinking I may be just another one of those people, because there are many of them. All I ask is that you give me a listen and see if I don't offer clarifying presentations of topics of interest to you.

Hi Charles,

Why don't you start posting here instead of lurking? Maybe we could help you sort out a couple things. Take care. 

On 6/5/2017 at 5:27 AM, Charles Tew said:

I feel comfortable offering myself as some kind of replacement because I'm both an Objectivist and a philosopher, and I have real expertise on Objectivism in particular and philosophy in general. I know there are plenty of crackpots around

You said you have no degree in philosophy, failed out of undergraduate school, have read nothing but Rand and Peikoff lectures, and "in a rational world," you would be chair of the most prestigious philosophy department. That is crankish. You may think you're a philosopher outside of the academy because the academy is just so corrupt and bad and not good enough for you, and that you've produced important work that solves real problems. You haven't published anything. You haven't done any work. You've made YT videos, which are not every good, and which repeat Randian jargon and basic talking points, most of which are also not very good. You will likely say the academy is biased and you're glad you're not there and that I'm evading and not focusing my mind properly. But you're not doing philosophy, not producing original or important work, not contributing to the field, and are crankish. And not many people will watch your videos.

14 minutes ago, Eiuol said:

Did I miss something? I looked at some of his recent videos just today, and I see there's quite a bit of drama involving Tew in the comments of his videos!

Yeah, there's a YT thing between him and Rucka.

That's the start of it, I think. Others have joined in the fray against Charles, who hasn't responded yet.

• 10 months later...