Objectivism Online Forum

I am therefore I think

Rate this topic

I'd hate to burst your bubble, but you're wasting your time.

Ancient history, classics, physics, biology, modern issues, ethics, and politics are all that you will find here.

If you seek teen glamour, sowing, or Ben Affleck's hair, your time is wasted.

Nice to meet you, what brought you here?

I just recieved a PM from and gently to the best of my ability explain to him the problems he has been having and suggested to him to finish reading Atlas and VOS before posting any questions. BTW, on a side note, how do i quote using the quote function. The help feature on this website are really helpful when it comes to explaining this. :whistle:

Edited by Richard Roark

I'm starting to think he/she is a troll.  How does one alert the moderators to this possiblity?

If you believe a post violates forum rules, there is an alert button at the bottom of each post. Pressing this button will allow you to send a report to the moderators on why you feel this post violates forum rules.

There is a button above the text box, alternatively you can type:

[ Q U O T E ]

without the spaces, to start the quote, and:

[ / q u o t e ]

without the spaces, to end it.

Also, when you hit 'reply' to a post, it will automatically setup a quote, in the text box, of the post you are replying to (except it leaves out any old quotes from the old post).

(Editted to hide my ignorance of the English language... :whistle:)

A faster way to do this is to use the reply button at the bottom of each post. It is the button which is the farthest right of all of the buttons.

The button that says quote is most useful when you wish to quote multiple posts in your reply.

Edited by redfarmer

Ancient history, classics, physics, biology, modern issues, ethics, and politics are all that you will find here.

If you seek teen glamour, sowing, or Ben Affleck's hair, your time is wasted.

I am bewildered by your post. Is it an attempt at irony -- or did Iaceo say something somewhere that leads you to believe he is seeking information about "teen glamour"?

I am bewildered by your post. Is it an attempt at irony -- or did Iaceo say something somewhere that leads you to believe he is seeking information about "teen glamour"?

Hae ae ae..! I imagine that GWDS (which I think stands for "Gotta Write Detailed

Silliness") saw the word "FUN" in my intro, and wanted to warn me that his/her

concepts of fun are not available here,.. or at least hadn't been found yet.

Would it be against the rules to start a thread requesting people's various opinions

about what "GWDS", as an acronym, stands for..?

Yeah,... it probably would,.. so I'll leave it to GWDS to start such a thread. :)

-Iakeo

Welcome aboard! By any chance is English a second language for you?

Now THAT is an awesome and fascinating observation.

I've often thought that english wasn't my first language, but have never had

anyone hint that they too thought as I did..!

No,.. that's not entirely true. Statements such as, "Speak english please!"

and "Huh...!! Your use of the word 'have' confuses me.", should probably have

been a clue that my language and theirs were "at odds."

But then,.. I'll wager BIG MONEY that the majority of the people here (who belong

here) have very similar experiences. :)

I'd really like to get my "olelo hawai'i" up to speed, as I love the sound and

the "differentness" of it, and the "culture",.. and the waves,... and the warm

seas,.. and,.. and,.. <Iakeo drifts off into reverie>...

<shakes head> ..And I *SHALL* live there someday..!!

But that's neither here nor there. :)

Why would you think that english is a second language to me? I'm REALLY

interested in your observation..!

Thanks..!! (Finally, a forum with explicitly RATIONAL people in it..! Holy crap..!! :))

-Iakeo

I think the reason inspector asked if english was your second language is because of the forum's rules which state please use proper grammatical and sentence structure in your posts. So, you may get a warning about using proper grammar in your posts and to follow a sound sentence structure just letting you know. Don't worry I to was told about this so no worries. I shaped up rather quickly. :)

Why would you think that english is a second language to me? I'm REALLY

interested in your observation..!

Something about your choice of grammatical structure... It's not improper per se, just unusual. It was a subconscious observation, so don't take it personally or anything. :)

I think the reason inspector asked if english was your second language is because of the forum's rules which state please use proper grammatical and sentence structure in your posts.

Well, yes, there was that too. Some of his posts are in fact improper grammar, so work on that! :)

Well, yes, there was that too. Some of his posts are in fact improper grammar, so work on that! :lol:

:whistle:

Right,.. if my grammar, or spelling, or word choice, or whitespace usage, or

concept reference, or any other quality of my words as presented renders what I

say unclear to the point of un-usefulness, PLEASE ask me to clarify my weirdness.

I'll most certainly do that, as it does me no good to drive people away from

conversation if my goal in to engage them in it.

Yet another "DUH!" moment, eh..!? I'm not known in my locale as Doctor Duh, the

master of the blindingly obvious, for nothing, I suppose.

-Iakeo

Kind of an example of what threw me off is stuff like this:

"Check out what is ethical acting on this site."

That sentence just looks like it was written by a non-native English speaker. Also your laugh is kind of... strange. (instead of "haha," it's "ae hee hee") Finally, your writing style in your posts has a kind of "stream of consciousness" style to it that is confusing.

If I see anything else, I'll let you know. Of course, all of this is in the interests of facilitating better communications. (No offense is meant, in other words!)

Kind of an example of what threw me off is stuff like this:

"Check out what is ethical acting on this site."

That sentence just looks like it was written by a non-native English speaker. Also your laugh is kind of... strange. (instead of "haha," it's "ae hee hee") Finally, your writing style in your posts has a kind of "stream of consciousness" style to it that is confusing.

If I see anything else, I'll let you know. Of course, all of this is in the interests of facilitating better communications. (No offense is meant, in other words!)

The "Hae ae ae.." laugh thing is indeed weird, but no more so than "Heh he he".

And I don't like "Hahahah",.. so it's just an arbitrary goofball choice on my part. :)

It's true,.. I do tend to write, in this medium of "forum", in a very conversational

way (meaning "as if I were actually speaking").

Although, I'm more parenthetical in written-conversation than in actual throat-

borne conversation.

I will indeed try to be slightly more linear, as it were, in my comma-planting and

parenthicisation (which is probably not a word, but mysteriously, understandable!).

:)

Thanks..!

-Iakeo

So does that mean you sorta speak it?

No,.. unfortunately, not at all. I have an interest in the language, and will

eventually work on the Kamehameha School video (which is a nice introduction),

but as yet I've simply studied it as an abstract grammar and phonemic system.

In other words, not at all. Certainly nt conversationally. ;)

Something for me to do in future. And have fun with.

-Iakeo