Objectivism Online Forum
Sign in to follow this  
merjet

Correspondence and Coherence blog

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, merjet said:

Coronavirus - Medicare for All

"Taiwan’s healthcare system is more like Medicare-for-All. The mortality rate from COVID-19 is very low, but so is the number of cases per 1,000 population. I can’t explain the latter. The author asserts the existence of “high traffic with mainland China,” an innuendo that Taiwan's exposure to the coronavirus is as high as, maybe higher than, other countries. Anyway, the healthcare system has not faced a stress test similar to Italy, Spain, Switzerland, or even the USA."

Regarding "I can’t explain the latter."

Well, you have to explain it. Taiwan has a huge portion of its population go to mainland china to work and come back. My understanding is the testing they have done. The lack of testing seems to be the common problem for areas that are had hit. And reasons for that can in fact be regulations preventing it or preventing it from being profitable enough.

25 minutes ago, Easy Truth said:

Regarding "I can’t explain the latter."

Well, you have to explain it. Taiwan has a huge portion of its population go to mainland china to work and come back. My understanding is the testing they have done. The lack of testing seems to be the common problem for areas that are had hit. And reasons for that can in fact be regulations preventing it or preventing it from being profitable enough.

Well, the article I wrote about was published only 2 days ago, and I noticed it last night. So Taiwan wasn't on my radar screen until then and investigating it didn't instantly become my top priority.

Anyway, I found the following news story.
Fear of China Made Taiwan a Coronavirus Success Story

Hope that helps.

Edited by merjet

More information from 

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/27/scott-gottlieb-coronavirus-new-york-152094

I did not realize that he was considered an alarmist by the white house.

He specifically mentions the temperature element, that we may be having new travel restrictions on South Africa etc.

Interesting mention of use of copper will increase (mentioned around the end)