Objectivism Online Forum

Objectivist perspective on LaVey Satanism?

Rate this topic

Anatasp

What do Objectionists think of the Church of Satan?

Input from those who have an understanding of the CoS's philosophy and practices only, thank you. From my limited knowledge of Objectionism, I do not see many differences, though I know there are some major ones (Use of ritual, primarily.).

Thanks in advance.

Input from those who have an understanding of the CoS's philosophy and practices only, thank you. From my limited knowledge of Objectionism, I do not see many differences, though I know there are some major ones (Use of ritual, primarily.).

Thanks in advance.

In my own personal opinion, LaVey was nothing more than a moderately interesting, if somewhat kitschy, performance artist who started a "satanic church" as a good way to get laid and make a little bit of scratch. His writings were interesting and humorous, particularly "The Devil's Notebook", but he was not a significant philosopher.

Here's a particularly interesting link of information compiled by LaVey's daughter Zeena which debunks much of her father's legend:

Anton LaVey: Legend and Reality

It's "Objectivism" not "Objectionism"

My apologies: Both for the typo and not thinking to use the search feature.  :)

Objectivists, Objectivists, Objectivists.

I think that point has been made.

Thanks in advance.

Philosophies don't base themselves on other philosophies. If they do, they have

no basis whatsoever, and should be looked upon as "cults" or other frauds.

One of the basic tenets of objectivism is to "do your own work", and not to base

your thinking (mental work related to being human) on simply accepting,

untested, the thinking of others.

If "Fnargmoosism" bases itself on objectivism, then perverts it with various

irrationalities, it's no longer based on objectivism.

If you can't see the many differences between the CoS and objectivism, then you

are, to be VERY kind, simply not conscious.

-Iakeo

Philosophies don't base themselves on other philosophies. If they do, they have

no basis whatsoever, and should be looked upon as "cults" or other frauds.

One of the basic tenets of objectivism is to "do your own work", and not to base

your thinking (mental work related to being human) on simply accepting,

untested, the thinking of others.

If "Fnargmoosism" bases itself on objectivism, then perverts it with various

irrationalities, it's no longer based on objectivism.

If you can't see the many differences between the CoS and objectivism, then you

are, to be VERY kind, simply not conscious.

-Iakeo

I was referring to the personal philosophies (Both Objectivism and Satanism state that a person should live such and such a way because of this, etc.), not academic philosophy. Both stress the importance of individuality, rational self-interest, and the like.

I am well aware that Satanism and Objectivism hold different metaphysical and epistemological beliefs.

Edited by Anatasp

I was referring to the personal philosophies (Both Objectivism and Satanism state that a person should live such and such a way because of this, etc.), not academic philosophy. Both stress the importance of individuality, rational self-interest, and the like.

I am well aware that Satanism and Objectivism hold different metaphysical and epistemological beliefs.

Objectivism is both our personal and our "academic" philosophy. This is true because it is good in both theory and in practice. If it wasn't what good would it be? The moral is the practical.

By the way any form of Satanism must be a form of Christianity. This topic reminds me of when I was a kid and other kids would ask me if I "believed" in the devil. My answer was always no. Then they would say well if you believe in god you must believe in the devil. What I guess they couldn't comprehend is that I had no "belief" in either.

I keep seeing this wacky distinction (that is no distinction in reality)

between "academic" and "personal" philosophy.

That's like having a "personal" and "academic" view of quadrapedal critters.

In my personal view, bears are horses, because they both don't have horns,.. but

in my academic view this black horse-like thing isn't a horse because all horses

have to be non-black.

Anyone care to explain this "distinction" to this befuddled non-academic?

Sheesh....

-Iakeo

I keep seeing this wacky distinction (that is no distinction in reality)

between "academic" and "personal" philosophy.

That's like having a "personal" and "academic" view of quadrapedal critters.

In my personal view, bears are horses, because they both don't have horns,.. but

in my academic view this black horse-like thing isn't a horse because all horses

have to be non-black.

Sheesh....

-Iakeo

There is none like I stated in my previous post here.

I think the best explanation and refutation of that "distinction" is Leonard Peikoff's essay "The Analytic Synthetic Dichotomy" published in _Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology_. It's very clearly written and accessible to those without an academic background in philosophy. (And it will explain a LOT of goofy philosophies of similar nature).

Sheesh....

-Iakeo

Edited by Bold Standard

I think the best explanation and refutation of that "distinction" is Leonard Peikoff's essay "The Analytic Synthetic Dichotomy" published in _Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology_.  It's very clearly written and accessible to those without an academic background in philosophy. (And it will explain a LOT of goofy philosophies of similar nature).

Thank you much..!

That's not in Piekoff's "Objectivism", is it? Probably not, as that's not "Piekoff's:

Intro to Epistemology" is it.

The bizarre "academic/personal" split seems to be a continual issue on these

forums, and it seems any time "philosophy" is discussed anywhere, actually.

It is apparently inherent in the education of students these days (or for however

long this weird feature has been prevalent).

Therefore,.. I blame the "teachers of academics"..!

Nothing new here either, right? Right...

Silly collectivists. :D

-Iakeo

Edited by Iakeo