Objectivism Online Forum

Resurrection

Rate this topic

In the days when I used to get dragged off to church by my parents for Easter mass, the priest always told us this story about a scientist who set out to prove that the resurrection of Christ did not occur. Apparently, the 'evidence' proved to be quite contrary to this idea, and as a result he ended up converting to Christianity. Does anybody know any info on this case? I'd be interested in reading about it.

No such evidence could ever exist in reality. There might be alledged evidence somewhere, but you must consider the source and the "evidence" finders motivation for collecting the "evidence". This would be analogous to "evidence" "proving" global warming and the like. I've seen shows on the Discovery Channel about the Shroud of Turin, maybe something like this was the "evidence"?

In the days when I used to get dragged off to church by my parents for Easter mass, the priest always told us this story about a scientist who set out to prove that the resurrection of Christ did not occur. Apparently, the 'evidence' proved to be quite contrary to this idea, and as a result he ended up converting to Christianity. Does anybody know any info on this case? I'd be interested in reading about it.

Sounds like an interesting story that the priest told. Ask your mom, or whomever

it was that dragged you off to church, for the particular story. I know nothing

about such a story, unfortunately, but I'm SURE you could find 27 stories like it

with a Google search. :(

Or,.. I could just make one up...

There was this scientist. Dr. Natoo Kerayjus was his name. He thought the

ressurrection was a silly idea. He was so terribly worried about people's heads

being filled with this sort of mush-brainery that he set out to prove to

the "believers" that resurrection was silly.

He went to a prominent believer and asked, "Why do you believe in this

resurrection?", to which the believer said, "Because the book of my people tell me

so."

The Doc then asked, "What would convince you that this resurrection was in fact

nonsense?", to which the believer said, "Well, if you could prove that the feeling

that I feel when I consider the meaning of the resurrection in my life is 'false',

then I will surely tell all my brethren that our book is false, and we will follow you

instead, as you must surely be god's representative on earth."

Upon which our good Doctor threw down his assembled measuring devices and

archeological gear and became the most devout member of the believer's flock.

The part that the priest DIDN'T tell you:

The Doctor's reasoning was thus: "If they will follow their need for a 'feeling',

which is justified by such silliness as a resurrection, with such fervor and intensity,

then I would rather be a hypocrit in their midst than their involuntary LEADER..!!"

-Iakeo