Objectivism Online Forum

An, um, interesting interpriation of Ayn Rand

Rate this topic

scottkursk

I tripped across this on Ebay. I must say I wouldn't know where to begin. The obvious copyright questions, the bad/abstract-surrealism art devoid of form, or what else.

My first reaction was "Wow, that's Ragnar Dajeskold if I've ever seen him." <tounge is firmly in cheek> I would love to hear how his

a moving story of one man's struggle for creativity
came out to this technicolor kids book cover.

I suspect this is a joke...

Is this legal?  Can they title their painting 'a portrait' of a character they do not own?

I dont think that character names get copyrighted as part of a work, but I could be wrong.

I dont think that character names get copyrighted as part of a work, but I could be wrong.
They can be registered trademarks (and are not, from what I can see), but according to the Official Government Circular on Copyrighting Names they can't be copyrighted. I can't really say why they feel that "Atlas Shrugged" isn't covered by the copyright on the book, but it's probably based on the semi-circular reasoning "because the courts have not recognised such protection".

A few weeks ago, someone tried to auction off my boss -- the bidding got up to $100,000,000 befroe Ebay pulled the plug.

A friend of mine told me an even funnier story.

He asked a girl he knew if she had ever read Atlas Shrugged. She told him:

"Oh, yeah! Isn't that the one where they kill a goat?"

Apparently she did read it. Because they do kill a goat in Atlas Shurgged. My appreciation to anyone who can remember in what scene.

A friend of mine told me an even funnier story.

He asked a girl he knew if she had ever read Atlas Shrugged. She told him:

"Oh, yeah! Isn't that the one where they kill a goat?"

Apparently she did read it. Because they do kill a goat in Atlas Shurgged. My appreciation to anyone who can remember in what scene.

Yeah, of the things to remember in that book, that would be one of the weirder ones.

I actually saw this listing a few days ago and it had me scratching my head. I recently asked the seller a question to inquire if her listing was a joke. She responded politely, though her response has done absolutely nothing to make any more sense of the bewilderingly inappropriate title (see the listing).

I tripped across this on Ebay. I must say I wouldn't know where to begin. The obvious copyright questions, the bad/abstract-surrealism art devoid of form, or what else.

My first reaction was "Wow, that's Ragnar Dajeskold if I've ever seen him." <tounge is firmly in cheek> I would love to hear how his

came out to this technicolor kids book cover.

Did anyone read the "comment" made and replied to, about this "item" (I can't

bring myself to call it art):

Questions from other buyers for this listing:

• Q: Exactly which squiggly is intended to represent "John Galt"? Is this a joke? If
    so it is in bad taste. John Galt was created by Ayn Rand to represent her concept
    of the perfect man, is this truly your perception of such? [Answered on Mar-16-05]

•   A: Dear "betthefarm": Thank you for your interest in my painting, "Ayn Rand".
    What I tried to "capture" in this gouache, is the inter-relatedness of Rand's
    philosophy with the beauty of our "everyday" life as lived as closely to "being and
    becoming" ourselves as is possible. Or, to look for the joy in life through her
    fiction and non-fiction. Again, thank you for you interest. Linda

Wow...

I'm seriously not impressed.

If this "Linda" person makes any money off this thing, we'll have proof that

irrationality exists.

But we knew that,.. so this "artwork", and the fact that some moron would buy it,

serve no purpose whatsoever.

Well, dang,... I was hoping to learn SOMETHING from this, but apparently it's just

another exercise in making clever remarks about "morons in commerce".

Well,.. that's something then. :)

I don't feel QUITE so used.

-Iakeo

Edited by Iakeo

[*]  A: Dear "betthefarm": Thank you for your interest in my painting, "Ayn Rand".

What I tried to "capture" in this gouache, is the inter-relatedness of Rand's

philosophy with the beauty of our "everyday" life as lived as closely to "being and

becoming" ourselves as is possible. Or, to look for the joy in life through her

fiction and non-fiction. Again, thank you for you interest. Linda

Man, that is one of the biggest loads of total crap I've seen in a very long time. This woman has a real future in the Modern Art field.

We should all bid on it till it gets into the millions of dollars just to mess with her. And then eventually tell her that our bids represent how much we appreciate her work of "art in the same way as her work of "art" in any way represesnts John Galt. Now that would be funny. :P