Objectivism Online Forum

I HATE other people

Rate this topic

Thank you for this. It amazes me how so frustrating a problem can be remedied by fifty-seven words on the internet by someone I've never met.

Thank you all for your replies. :)

Sure thing :) I thought of another way to say it:

Your time on this earth is yours to do with as you please -- but it is a fixed amount of time. How much of it will you spend worrying about others, and how much will you spend working for yourself?

-- or --

Life's too short to spend on hate when you have the opportunity to be happy. :)

• 4 years later...

I would say to chill out about school, and to not take it as serious as you seem to be taking it. I'm not saying to slack or anything, but when it comes to the people around you, maybe try to look at them as a joke. I sometimes like to think it's just one big sitcom. As least for me laughing feels a lot better than being upset.

Hey Roark Wannabe,

Welcome to the forum. As a general rule I don't quote Rand in answer to posts, but this was just too opportune to pass up.

I've always found this to be an important clue to Roark's character...

Toohey- "Mr. Roark, we’re alone here. Why don’t you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."

Roark- "But I don’t think of you."

If you have no regard for your peers, then have NO regard for them. They are much less trouble when you don't take them so seriously; and even entertaining on occasion if you wait patiently for the consequences of their bad philosophies to take place.

Hello Wanabe, allow me to join others in welcoming you to the forum.

Although I just turned 30, the memory of my own highschool in the third world is not far behind me at all. I did not care for many of my peers, and often found that I got along better with people much older than me (one friend of mine was in her 60s). I did have one or two friends in higschool who were not usual, but as far as anyone ever knew of me in highschool, I was regarded as the strange kid who liked to read (sacrilege!) and walked through the school during recess listening to "weird classical music" on his discman. I never permitted those who were inconsequential to me to cause me grief or harm, they were simply ignored. I had a life outside of the school that was much more rewarding: at home I had my books, my computer games and painting with my mother and her friends (I told you, I seldom socialized with people my age), and I would go to the Conservatory to learn about music. But I sympathize with you, there were some experiences I would not care to repeat...

There were bullies, but several years of Tae Kwon Do -however useless it may be- had given me a means to defend myself by strengthening my arms and legs (I still have them, too!). Two bullies in highschool provoked fights with me (one by tripping me down a small flight of stairs, the other one by grabbing my backpack and throwing it over a railing), but they soon realized that I wouldn't waste time posturing with dramatic punches after a secure kick landed right between the first bully's legs, leaving him out for the rest of recess and making him walk rather tenderly for the rest of the day (with daggers in his eyes, too. I just laughed at him... what was he going to do, run after me?). The second time I got -very- lucky and ended up nullifying him with one kick, with a satisfying and resounding *thud* as he hit the ground. After that I never really had problems with them for the rest of highschool... guys were too afraid of what would happen to their family jewels, I guess (I must admit I do recall telling the first bully's friends that if any of them would dare to even look at me funny, I'd tear their scrotums off and use them for hacky sack...).

The only other time I had a minor incident was on the way home from school. While on the bus, I pulled out one of my treasures, a leather-bound edition of "La Morte D'Arthur" by Sir Thomas Mallory, all books in one. It had been given to me by my favorite aunt for my birthday, and I used to read it all the time. One hooligan by the last name Holguín, the oldest kid (he'd been held back once) in higschool, rode on the same route and he *loved* to make life miserable for everybody. One day he thought it'd be cute to spit on my book. The offending glob of saliva splattered right in the middle of my favorite woodcut and I remember seeing red. I vaguely recollect standing up from the seat at the same time as I closed the book and swung the rather large tome around to hit him, with all my strength, on the side of his head. To this day I am not sure if the hollow sound came from his head or the book-- but as he staggered to the seat next to him I rose my book again and brought it down over his head whilst shouting at the top of my lungs ( and as a singer-in-training, I could be quite loud) "This was worth more than you'll ever be, you *bleep*" The bus driver, who liked Holguín and ignored all of his antics, stopped me after I had managed to deliver a third blow to this tall 6th grader (in Ecuador, Highschool is only 6 years) who was now on his knees on the floor and covering his head with his arms, and threatened to report *me* to the principal for misconduct. My parents had been briefed for a long time about what went on at the bus and when the Principal suspended me for a week, my mother went To Have Words With Him. I was back at school the next day and it was arranged for some teachers to ride on the buses on the way back from school. Holguín looked at me with murder in his eyes but he never got to ride on an unsupervised bus again, and I never hung out near where he used to be during recess (which was hiding somewhere in the vast forested grounds to smoke cigarettes).

The book was ruined, unfortunately, at least that page which never got the unpleasant green tint off it... my aunt, very much afflicted, gave me another set for me to read, which I have with me to this day (my leather-bound version is safe in my library where it cannot be spat upon).

These incidents aside, though... once you get out and either head to college or wherever your aim, it gets much better, as you will be able to choose who will be part of your circle of friends, and most of the time you will choose where to meet them and how often-- don't be discouraged just yet!

I also don't recommend taking the path I took. My advantages were that I have always been very strong and easy to gain and maintain muscle (if not tremendously fast at losing fat), I'd had the aforementioned Tae Kwon Do which is useless if you try to fight the same way you fight in the Dojang, but not so useless if you know what to use. Kids love to use punches to look macho, but most of the time they won't expect you to deliver a Miro Cha Gee (push kick) and both knock them back and knock the air out of them (that's what I used on the second bully- It's a direct impact to the solar plexus plus an energetic shove with your bodyweight behind), and I had very supportive parents who knew me very well: If I had decided to stamp Sir Thomas Mallory's name across some thug's face, they knew there must have been a very good reason for it. Had any of those elements been missing, I would have had it much, much worse.

Edited by kainscalia

• 2 weeks later...

I instantly thought of your thread when I came across this passage:

"We must also consider self-sufficiency and friendship, and the interrelationship of their potentialities. For one may raise the question whether if a person be self-sufficing in every respect he will have a friend, or whether on the contrary a friend is sought for in need, and the good man will be most self-sufficing. If the life that is combined with goodness is happy, what need would there be of a friend? For it does not belong to the self-sufficing man to need either useful friends or friends to amuse him and society, for he is sufficient society for himself. This is most manifest in the case of God; for it is clear that as he needs nothing more he will not need a friend, and that supposing he has no need of one he will not have one. Consequently the happiest human being also will very little need a friend, except in so far as to be self-sufficing is impossible. Of necessity, therefore, he who lives the best life will have fewest friends, and they will constantly become fewer, and he will not be eager to have friends but will think lightly not only of useful friends but also of those desirable for society. But assuredly even his case would seem to show that a friend is not for the sake of utility or benefit but that one loved on account of goodness is the only real friend. For when we are not in need of something, then we all seek people to share our enjoyments, and beneficiaries rather than benefactors; and we can judge them better when we are self-sufficing than when in need, and we most need friends who are worthy of our society."

~Eudemian Ethics

I shall share with you my secret, but don't tell anyone else... :)

The way I deal with people is to make jokes of everything. I don't consider many things in the social realm to be worth my thought. In H.S. I had the same issue, tried to take things seriously, but all it did was backfire.

So I reverted to the role of class clown--and w/o this role, I doubt I would have graduated.

Anyhow, God Bless ( :D ), and good luck.

This is exactly what I did all through high school. Just graduated a few weeks ago.