Objectivism Online Forum

Reblogged:Steyn on the Collusion Investigation

Rate this topic

Mark Steyn writes at length on the recently-ended investigation of the 2016 presidential election, and concludes that the affair was a worrisome domestic attempt to subvert said election. After reading his case, I am inclined to agree. He concludes as follows:

BHO.jpg
What did he know, and when did he know it? (Image via Wikipedia, public domain.)
[T]his is a story not of foreign subversion of the election, but of domestic subversion of the election, by powerful figures able to reach out and entrap its marks at Cambridge conferences and London wine bars. In old-school banana republics, the coup happens quickly: "The rebels have seized control of the radio station," as the BBC's Africa bureaus used to announce every fortnight through the Sixties, and next thing you know this week's president-for-life is being carried out by the handles. But in America everything's more protracted and expensive. That, however, should not blind us to what happened: a cabal of Deep State bigwigs reverse-engineered a foreign cover for their own interference in self-government by the people. Show me the man and I'll show you the crime, boasted Beria. America's Berias aren't quite that good yet, but they're getting there...

Trump Tweeted his way out of the Deep State's grip. I doubt any other Republican president would have proved so wily: It's not difficult to imagine President Jeb deciding to do the right thing and resign for the good of the country -- without ever being able to figure what it was he'd done wrong. We have witnessed an extraordinary sustained attempted coup in which senior officials of the "justice" department shoot the breeze about wearing a wire to get the goods on the elected chief executive. If there are no consequences to that, it will happen again. [bold and link added]
I have seen other calls to "investigate the investigators," including Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. I am inclined to agree that this needs doing.

-- CAV

Link to Original