Objectivism Online Forum

Ayn Rand's Popcorn-tradiction.

Rate this topic

I'm really worry or your reading comprehension skills. I did not try to prove anything in my last post and I ask you multiple times if for you the premise "All contradictions are false" is falsifiable. And for your silence L guess is no. Which plant it very firmly on the pseudoscience arena. If you are not able to answer that simple question your grasp of realty is not based in logic.

Have fun with your crystals and please please, please do not eat them,

They

really

hurt

on

their

way

out.

When there is a contradiction, there is a problem with "my thoughts".
Why?
Because contradictions exist, but as concepts, as thoughts, as imagination.
They do not exist outside of consciousness.
They are artifacts of a mind only (sort of a mental entity). 

So when someone says they don't exist, it is in that context.

When something floats, it implies there is no gravity. It could. Or it could mean your thoughts are incorrect.
You have to ask what holds the water down?
Why doesn't the object float above the water?
If there was no gravity, the water should float upward and the object should float above that too at some point.

The implication is that "something holds it all down".

If contradictions exist, the the water is the object which is the air which is the floor which is the sky which is you and me and gravity.

If a contradictions exist, if they are out there, outside of the mind the the world that you see is and isn't,
Anything is heavy and is not heavy, 
Nothing can be distinguished, everything is the same and different.
There is no point in asking "why" anymore, the answer would be meaningless.

In any face to face discussion, to claim that contradictions exist outside of the mind, ends up meaning "end of conversation".

3 hours ago, Easy Truth said:

When something floats, it implies there is no gravity. It could. Or it could mean your thoughts are incorrect.

Good that I said that was an experiment, meaning something on the real world not a thought experiment. And my point was gravity if falsifiability therefore a sound scientific concept.This is completely independent of my point about contradictions.

3 hours ago, Easy Truth said:

Anything is heavy and is not heavy, 

Is information travels faster and slower than light a contradiction? Because that is the whole point of the "spoke action at a distance" paradox

On 7/15/2019 at 11:16 AM, Jose said:

Is information travels faster and slower than light a contradiction?

Depending on what is meant.

To say that something is slower, and then say it is faster, is to say it is slower and not slower.
Which is to say nothing, i.e. meaningless, unknowable, indeterminable.

But to say in this way it is faster but in this other way it is slower, is not a contradiction.
You have to include the context, the time, the perspective.

31 minutes ago, Easy Truth said:

To say that something is slower, and then say it is faster, is to say it is slower and not slower.
Which is to say nothing, i.e. meaningless, unknowable, indeterminable.

That is not the way the paradox is set. If two objects are quantum entangled and then the move to opposite sides of the universe, knowing the state of one will mean that we know instantly the value of an other. This mean that quantum mechanics says that information travels faster than light, and relativity says that traveling faster than light is not possible.

On 7/9/2019 at 8:10 PM, Jose said:

We need a philosophy  that can deal with the uncertainly of the real world

By chucking out the law of identity? That's gonna help us find hard and certain facts?

On 7/10/2019 at 7:07 PM, Jose said:

Einsten did not agree. I am I way worst at phisycs than he. And I can safely assume that you either claim to know more phisycs than he.

Nice appeal to authority.

On 7/11/2019 at 8:27 PM, Jose said:

Life is full of uncertainty for you to handle ... 

Maybe your life is, brother.

On 7/11/2019 at 12:15 PM, Jose said:

More of physicists can think that FTL is possible but if they cannot provide a theory of how it is done it is just an idea, not a part of the physical knowledge.

I don't suppose you've got a theory to explain how that is? Or is it "just an idea" we don't actually have to take seriously?

On 7/11/2019 at 1:56 PM, StrictlyLogical said:

Do you agree that the proposition that A and B are BOTH true is a possible state of the universe?  YES or NO?

That's so far beyond this guy it isn't even funny. At least, it really shouldn't be as funny as certain people (terrible, awful, purely hypothetical people) might find it...

On 7/13/2019 at 12:59 AM, Jose said:

What I fear is that the logical system that you are using is no falsifiable, which made it a pseudoscience.

Pease tell me what REAL (EMPIRICAL) evidence would disprove you to yourself. What conditions in reality would falsify your own belief in your own conscious awareness, as such?

Your own belief in your self wouldn't be unfalsifiable, would it?

If "I think therefore I am"

Then you obviously are not

24 minutes ago, Harrison Danneskjold said:

By chucking out the law of identity? That's gonna help us find hard and certain facts? 

Life is uncertant that is a fact. It does not care about the law of identity or any law ... As and example are you certain of what will happen in 5 minutes.

Nice appeal to authority. 

This is not a falacy of appel to authority ... Sorry Einsten oppinion on physics is not a falacy.  Using his opinion about something unrelated is.

I don't suppose you've got a theory to explain how that is? Or is it "just an idea" we don't actually have to take serio

This is exactly what I said.

11 minutes ago, Jose said:

This is not a falacy of appel to authority ... Sorry Einsten oppinion on physics is not a falacy.  Using his opinion about something unrelated is.

So is substituting his opinion for a proper argument.

11 minutes ago, Jose said:

This is exactly what I said.

Exactly. And you didn't provide any theory to make YOUR OWN statement part of the "physical knowledge" which makes it "just an idea" by YOUR OWN TERMS. I'm just pointing out how those terms can't be applied to themselves without contradiction.

15 minutes ago, Jose said:

Life is uncertain that is a fact.

You sound pretty certain of that for someone who believes in the existence of contradictions. Wouldn't you have to say "it is and also is not"? Unless, of course, you see this whole thing as some kind of game that has nothing to do with anything?

I could beat you at your own game by simply responding to everything you say with "yes and also no" or "according to what theory", but I won't. I'm curious to know whether you're actually serious about the "falsifiability" criteria.

What would it take for you to stop believing in you?

29 minutes ago, Harrison Danneskjold said:

Pease tell me what REAL (EMPIRICAL) evidence would disprove you to yourself. What conditions in reality would falsify your own belief in your own conscious awareness, as such?

Your own belief in your self wouldn't be unfalsifiable, would it?

What will disprove me .... About what? That people get wet if they go swimming, that's easy show me an example that just went swimming and is dry.

About saying that contradictions are not possible but possible just I want to know what does it mean.

35 minutes ago, Harrison Danneskjold said:

Is that the bust insult you could come with? Because your creativity is exceptional.

41 minutes ago, Jose said:

What will disprove me .... About what?

1 hour ago, Harrison Danneskjold said:

55 minutes ago, Harrison Danneskjold said:

What would it take for you to stop believing in you?

And, believe it and/or not, the reference to "cogito ergo sum" was actually meant as a hint. Among other things. :whistle:

1 hour ago, Harrison Danneskjold said:

Descartes said he could never doubt the existence of his own mind, no matter what; that at least the existence of his own consciousness was unfalsifiable, irrefutable, solid ground.

Do you disagree with him? Will you stop demanding that the Law of Identity somehow be falsifiable or can you conjure up a way to disprove that you are (or think)? If you can prove THAT I will not dispute it!

QED

B)

1 hour ago, Easy Truth said:
1 hour ago, Jose said:

Life is uncertant that is a fact.

And yet, you are certain about that.

37 minutes ago, Jose said:

Maybe....

Then you might be dead. This is not an insult, simply playing out the logic you are putting forth.

Or, maybe you are not honest.

Or maybe you are honest but wrong.

1 hour ago, Jose said:

As and example are you certain of what will happen in 5 minutes.

I will make a decision based on what I know. I could be wrong. When I decide, I will be certain that I am doing the best of all my choices. Otherwise, I would be in paralysis.

Now, that is human certainty, that is the certainty that is possible, that is the certainty that is.

You are implying that Rand said that you can't be wrong which is not true.

The kind of certainty you are talking about is an omniscient type certainty, a supernatural certainty, a certainty that does not exist in this world.

Knowing what will happen in 5 minutes, without possibility of error, means I have no free will. I can't do anything else, I can't chose anything else, I already know what I will do.

17 minutes ago, Easy Truth said:

I will make a decision based on what I know. I could be wrong. When I decide, I will be certain that I am doing the best of all my choices. Otherwise, I would be in paralysis.

Now, that is human certainty, that is the certainty that is possible, that is the certainty that is.

You are implying that Rand said that you can't be wrong which is not true.

The kind of certainty you are talking about is an omniscient type certainty, a supernatural certainty, a certainty that does not exist in this world.

Knowing what will happen in 5 minutes, without possibility of error, means I have no free will. I can't do anything else, I can't chose anything else, I already know what I will do.

What you are bescriving is basic human life, the one you and I need to navegate everyday, life is full of contradictions ... and we need to live with them.

This site is crap ... Is the third time I post and evrytime I got an error. This is no way to have a conversation.

Anyway I keep asking what does "contradictions are impossible but contradictions exists" mean with no answer. I think I'm losing my time so unless someone can explain it do not expect to heard for me.

14 minutes ago, Jose said:

This site is crap ... Is the third time I post and evrytime I got an error. This is no way to have a conversation.

Anyway I keep asking what does "contradictions are impossible but contradictions exists" mean with no answer. I think I'm losing my time so unless someone can explain it do not expect to heard for me.

Perhaps you will be heard from after you discover how to distinguish between the The Metaphysical Versus the Man-Made.

4 hours ago, dream_weaver said:

Only if you can find them, and provide the corollary fact that demonstrates they're so.

I will as soon as my question gets answer ... Don't worry about corollary. I guess if I have so much trouble getting the answer, if I ask for more I will be shooting myself in the foot

22 hours ago, Jose said:

I just saw this, don't know what you've already heard. Contradictions are impossible in reality, but contradictions exist in people's heads. Keep the metaphysics separate from epistemology. Does that help?