Objectivism Online Forum

Ayn Rand's Artistic Criticism

Rate this topic

The Wrath

Ayn Rand seems rather condescending towards certain types of art, i.e. folk music/dance and Spanish dances. I admit that I laughed when she says "if you've seen one set of people clapping their hands while jumping up and down, you've seen them all (Global Balkanization)." Now, I like some folk music and I think that folk music/dancing can be fun in certain circumstances. I'm not a fan of Spanish dancing, but I can see how some people would like it, especially if they grew up seeing it. Is she really saying that there's anything wrong with these kinds of art, or is it just her personal taste?

Ayn Rand seems rather condescending towards certain types of art, i.e. folk music/dance and Spanish dances.  I admit that I laughed when she says "if you've seen one set of people clapping their hands while jumping up and down, you've seen them all (Global Balkanization)."  Now, I like some folk music and I think that folk music/dancing can be fun in certain circumstances.  I'm not a fan of Spanish dancing, but I can see how some people would like it, especially if they grew up seeing it.  Is she really saying that there's anything wrong with these kinds of art, or is it just her personal taste?

When you say spanish dancing, she probably meant flamenco or something more tribal. But I believe she could appreciate ball room dancing, and many of those dances are "Spanish", like the Tango. I'm confident that she would appreciate a clean salsa since it could easily incorporate ballet and tap. I remember an old professor of mine, once asked Ayn Rand to dance, and she replied that she would have more fun watching him and his wife dance (since they were somewhat professional ballroom dancers).

Now folk music I could understand ... because it seems easy ... much easier and thus less expressive than a classical concerto ... but I know nothing about music. The point I think is, if you realize the intellectual stature that Objectivism promises you in the field of aesthetics, one's tastes, over time, will be refined, and thus one will laugh at one's previous tastes, as being now below you.

Americo.

When you say spanish dancing, she probably meant flamenco or something more tribal.  But I believe she could appreciate ball room dancing, and many of those dances are "Spanish", like the Tango.  I'm confident that she would appreciate a clean salsa since it could easily incorporate ballet and tap.  I remember an old professor of mine, once asked Ayn Rand to dance, and she replied that she would have more fun watching him and his wife dance (since they were somewhat professional ballroom dancers).

Now folk music I could understand ... because it seems easy ... much easier and thus less expressive than a classical concerto ... but I know nothing about music.  The point I think is, if you realize the intellectual stature that Objectivism promises you in the field of aesthetics, one's tastes, over time, will be refined, and thus one will laugh at one's previous tastes, as being now below you.

Americo.

Anyone who has taken the time to study flamenco dancing, with its complex 12-beat rhythm, physically demanding steps and emotional investment, understands that there is nothing easy or primitive about it. And it is no more "tribal" an art form than tap dancing -- which Ayn Rand loved. For those who have never seen a flamenco company perform, I highly recommend the films of Carlos Saura, especially Flamenco and Carmen, both available on VHS.

Folk music is certainly simple, and I'm much more a fan of "refined" music, but that doesn't mean that I dislike folk music. It can be fun to listen to on occasion, even if it doesn't have the same artistic quality as other forms. I just think she was unnecessarily harsh on some art forms. I mean, I understand that it's just her personal taste, but it seems like she expects everyone else to share those tastes.

Edited by Moose

Folk music is certainly simple, and I'm much more a fan of "refined" music, but that doesn't mean that I dislike folk music.  It can be fun to listen to on occasion, even if it doesn't have the same artistic quality as other forms.  I just think she was unnecessarily harsh on some art forms.  I mean, I understand that it's just her personal taste, but it seems like she expects everyone else to share those tastes.

There's a difference between arguing based on objective aesthetic standards that something is or is not good art and in saying, "You must not enjoy such-and-such in any way." Who says you can't enjoy something that isn't good art? Who says you can't hang a piece of so-called modern art on your wall if you think it makes a good decoration? Not Ayn Rand, as long as you realize why you get value out of it.

Anyone who has taken the time to study flamenco dancing, with its complex 12-beat rhythm, physically demanding steps and emotional investment, understands that there is nothing easy or primitive about it.  And it is no more "tribal" an art form than tap dancing -- which Ayn Rand loved.  For those who have never seen a flamenco company perform, I highly recommend the films of Carlos Saura, especially Flamenco and Carmen, both available on VHS.

My apologies, so maybe Rand would like flamenco too. It is not my favorite at all. When I said tribal I meant the types of dances of South American indians. I think flamenco is quite sophisticated, it just doesn't near my favorite. Maybe I will check out those companies.

Americo.