Objectivism Online Forum

My Music

Rate this topic

HaloNoble6

The following is a song based on the chord changes of Michelle Branch's "Goodbye To You" from her "The Spirit Room" album. Originally, the song is about letting go of a hopeless love interest. In my version, called "Waiting," it's about holding out for your ideal love in life, for nothing less than a reflection of your own soul.

I made the recording using nothing more than my laptop, a computer microphone, an acoustic guitar with a pickup, and with the software Multitrackstudio. I made two tracks, one of me playing guitar and the other of me singing, each consisting of entire run-throughs of the song, and then combined them to form one complete sound file of the song. I want to couch my presentation of this song by saying that I didn't record it with any professional equipment, and that I'm an amateur at singing and guitar playing. With that in mind, I hope you can enjoy it; let me know. Here it is, the lyrics are below.

Waiting

Of all the things I've been faced with

I just cannot dispense with this

Voids from within my soul

But I move right on

Carving my soul out of gold

I've been searching deep down in my soul

Words that I'm finding are failing to console

It feels like I'm empty all over again

Yearning for fuel to go on

And I swear

I'll wait for you

I'll wait for everything that I'm due

You are the one I love

The only thing that can quench this desire

I can get lost in thoughts of you

Sometimes it seems like thoughts are all I'll ever have

Closing my eyes and I chase the thought away

To a place where I am blinded by your light

Then it's alright

I'll wait for you

You are the one I love

The only thing that can quench this desire

And it hurts to want all of you when you don't seem to exist

I want what's mine and I want it now

I want you

And I'm not giving up this time

I'll wait for you

You are the one I love

The one thing that can quench this desire

I'll wait for you

You are the one I love

And when the stars fall

I will lie awake

You're my shooting star.

Felipe! Your song made me remember feeling the same thing, a feeling of lonliness I've happily forgotten :) But it's very moving.

Your voice is much better when you don't hold back and move some air. Give yourself a little distance from the mic and push some air out. It'll sound much better. You can then mix down the levels to match the guitar track with the software.

Can you transcribe the guitar chords? I'd love to have you send me the raw tracks and I'll compose/record a bass track for it. Maybe we can get someone out there to do drums... Styles2112, that recent student is a big-time drummer, I'm sure he could whip out a track for us pretty easily.

Can you transcribe the guitar chords?  I'd love to have you send me the raw tracks and I'll compose/record a bass track for it.  Maybe we can get someone out there to do drums... Styles2112, that recent student is a big-time drummer, I'm sure he could whip out a track for us pretty easily.

Yeah, if you send it to me in AIF or mp3 form I can probably add something to it. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet....I might only be able to do so when I'm at home.

Are you intending for it to be an acoustic piece? If that's the case, then bass (electric) may not be the best idea. Piano chords backing it up would be nice in that case. I would then add a some nice brush work, picking it up to a pop beat at the chorus. If you want to make it a bit heavier than I would probably stick with a light pop beat, with the electric bass. Personally, I thought it had a nice effect as an acoustic piece (I could definitely hear some brush work going on behind it.)

I have band practice tonight, I but I can try and do some work with it tomorrow night and send it to you.

Your voice is much better when you don't hold back and move some air.  Give yourself a little distance from the mic and push some air out.  It'll sound much better.

Yes, and a compressor is your friend. I believe Multitrack Studio has a compression utility built in.

Edit: Fixed typo

Edited by andrew

Thank you all for the comments, I'll put up the chords in a minute.

Andrew: are you familiar with multitrack? I've never used the compressor, what does it actually do and how would it enhance the sound of my voice?

Styles: I was just playing acoustic, I haven't given much thought to what kind of drum accompaniment would go with it, but I'll think about it.

Here are the basic progressions:

BEGINNING

Cadd9 D9 G Cadd9 G

Cadd9 D9 G Cadd9 G

VERSE

Cadd9 D9 G Cadd9 G

Cadd9 D9 G Cadd9 G

Cadd9 D9 G G/F# Em7

A7 Cadd9

CHORUS

G G/F# Em7 Cadd9

G G/F# Em7 Cadd9