Objectivism Online Forum

Reason In Denver

Rate this topic

Hello! I am excited about finding and joining this site! My name is Mike and I live in Denver, Colorado. I began studying Objectivism a few years ago after reading Atlas Shrugged, and was initially drawn to the philosophy because of its atheistic nature. I’ve been an atheist since I was young, and it is a part of me of which I am extremely proud. In my study of philosophy in general, I find that most philosophies are theodicy at best, all trying to rationalize the existence of a supreme contradiction, so of course I grew immediately interested in a philosophy developed completely without any gods.

Last year I started and ran an Objectivist club at DeVry University for two semesters as I am always hoping to meet other people interested in Ayn Rand’s work. The experience was awesome, but unfortunately it didn’t last as long as I hoped. DeVry is such a commuter college that it was difficult to grow any interest from the students, and the club ended after I graduated.

I am now happy to have found some very amazing people here in the Denver area that created the Front Range Objectivism groups, which meet on a regular basis. I am also curious about whether other members of the site are active in physical get-togethers in their locations?

Happy to meet everyone!

Mike

P.S. I found the site while my head was spinning after watching the movie “What the Bleep Do We Know,” because I was hoping for a rational review ripping it to shreds. I didn’t see one, so I made my own :D. I was so worked up about it that I posted it before introducing myself!

Oops... that was supposed to be Freason in Denver... :) [no worries- GC]

Edited by GreedyCapitalist

Howdy Mike! and welcome aboard.

I currently live in Boulder, but will probably be moving back to Denver in 11 weeks or so.

I've attended many lectures at the CU campus and have occasionally joined in on some of the campus meetings if I have time. I'd be nice to get a Denver meet up though...there's got to be some Objectivists in this beautiful city =P

Howdy Mike!  and welcome aboard.

I currently live in Boulder, but will probably be moving back to Denver in 11 weeks or so.

I've attended many lectures at the CU campus and have occasionally joined in on some of the campus meetings if I have time.  I'd be nice to get a Denver meet up though...there's got to be some Objectivists in this beautiful city =P

Check out www.frontrangeobjectivism.com. There are several groups that meet and their explanations are on the website. The FROST meetings are especially cool as Lin (the founder) gets ARI affiliated speakers to come out!

Thanks for the welcome!

Howdy Mike!  and welcome aboard.

I've attended many lectures at the CU campus and have occasionally joined in on some of the campus meetings if I have time.  I'd be nice to get a Denver meet up though...there's got to be some Objectivists in this beautiful city =P

Check out www.frontrangeobjectivism.com. There are several groups that meet and their explanations are on the website. The FROST meetings are especially cool as Lin (the founder) gets ARI affiliated speakers to come out!

Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome here Mike.

P.S.  I found the site while my head was spinning after watching the movie “What the Bleep Do We Know,” because I was hoping for a rational review ripping it to shreds.  I didn’t see one, so I made my own.
Could you be more specific about how looking for the review lead you to this site? I'm curious, because we're discussing publicity for this site in another thread.

Could you be more specific about how looking for the review lead you to this site? I'm curious, because we're discussing publicity for this site in another thread.

I actually did a Google search for "Objectivist Movie Reviews" and a posting from this site came up on the second page.