Objectivism Online Forum

The ultimate goal for individual understanding

Rate this topic

Jimbean

In terms of learning objectivism, I thought the fundamental goal for personal understanding objectivism might be to make the widest integrations like Ayn Rand herself were able to do.  To integrate from the axiom of existence exists to capitalism in such a way that is both local, abstract, clearly understood by other people, and entertaining enough for people to want to comprehend, for example. 

What are your thoughts?  Do you agree?  

First you have to be a good observer of reality. Work on that, then worry about learning philosophy. Many farmers are better philosophers than university professors, because they have a better relationship to real things in the world. 

6 hours ago, Jimbean said:

In terms of learning objectivism, I thought the fundamental goal for personal understanding objectivism might be to make the widest integrations like Ayn Rand herself were able to do.  To integrate from the axiom of existence exists to capitalism in such a way that is both local, abstract, clearly understood by other people, and entertaining enough for people to want to comprehend, for example. 

What are your thoughts?  Do you agree?  

The level of understanding of Objectivism required for one person will differ from that of another, depending on their other goals. A full understanding of Objectivism requires about ten years of serious study, according to what I've heard from Objectivist intellectuals. That likely won't be worth doing for most people who aren't professional philosophers.

If you don't want to be a professional intellectual, I'd suggest aiming for whatever level of understanding will enable you to know what you are doing in life. Get a basic grasp of the principles, then return to philosophy when you sense that you're not clear about their application to something that you are doing.

You write that the goal may be "to integrate from the axiom of existence exists to capitalism in such a way that is both local, abstract, clearly understood by other people, and entertaining enough for people to want to comprehend." That sounds like you're aiming at becoming a professional Objectivist intellectual or a popularizer of the philosophy. Is that correct?

2 hours ago, William O said:

The level of understanding of Objectivism required for one person will differ from that of another, depending on their other goals. A full understanding of Objectivism requires about ten years of serious study, according to what I've heard from Objectivist intellectuals. That likely won't be worth doing for most people who aren't professional philosophers.

If you don't want to be a professional intellectual, I'd suggest aiming for whatever level of understanding will enable you to know what you are doing in life. Get a basic grasp of the principles, then return to philosophy when you sense that you're not clear about their application to something that you are doing.

You write that the goal may be "to integrate from the axiom of existence exists to capitalism in such a way that is both local, abstract, clearly understood by other people, and entertaining enough for people to want to comprehend." That sounds like you're aiming at becoming a professional Objectivist intellectual or a popularizer of the philosophy. Is that correct?

I am starting a podcast in a week and a half from now and debating is one of my strengths.  I studied Objectivism a long time ago when I was introduced to it by something called Neo-Tech back in 2003 (one of those offshoots of Objectivism).  My goal is to get a proper grounding to reality so that I can effectively defend capitalism, individualism, and ethics.  

What I really would like to do is debate high profile individuals on social media.  So  it is not just Objectivism I need to re-learn, but also public speaking and presentation.  In my opinion, I have the intelligence and work ethic, but I need proper training.

16 hours ago, Jimbean said:

I am starting a podcast in a week and a half from now and debating is one of my strengths.  I studied Objectivism a long time ago when I was introduced to it by something called Neo-Tech back in 2003 (one of those offshoots of Objectivism).  My goal is to get a proper grounding to reality so that I can effectively defend capitalism, individualism, and ethics.  

What I really would like to do is debate high profile individuals on social media.  So  it is not just Objectivism I need to re-learn, but also public speaking and presentation.  In my opinion, I have the intelligence and work ethic, but I need proper training.

I don't have much helpful advice to give you about how to accomplish that, except to study very hard for a long time. To do what you want to do, you need a firm grasp of history, politics, and philosophy, as well as the rhetorical skills to express yourself clearly and convincingly. There are probably other fields that you need to be adept at.

A week and a half is almost certainly not enough time to prepare by several orders of magnitude - see the aforementioned ten years estimate. This is especially true if you're rusty on Objectivism, which is what I take from your saying that you "studied Objectivism a long time ago."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...