Objectivism Online Forum

Proper Definition Of Dialectical Materialism

Rate this topic

I know that dialcectical materialism is the philosophy behind Communism. I know that the dialectic is the limit of logic and that materialism is that which believes the mind and body can't be separated. How do these two integrate into one philosophy? Can you give me an understandable definition of the theory?

Tim

Dialectics refers to a model of progress defined by the following steps:

thesis - some initial event

antithesis - some event which comes into being in response to the thesis

synthesis - some event which comes about to reconcile the thesis and antithesis events.

The synthesis is of course a new thesis. Dialectics can be applied as an analysis of history, philosophy, etc..

Materialism refers to a rejection of non-material (idealistic, spiritual, etc.) aspects to the world. The world is purely material in nature.

Thus dialectical materialism refers to an analysis of the evolution of human civilization treated purely as a material (real) phenomenon without idealistic aspects in a structure according to dialectics above.

Dialectics refers to a model of progress defined by the following steps:

thesis - some initial event

antithesis - some event which comes into being in response to the thesis

synthesis - some event which comes about to reconcile the thesis and antithesis events.

The synthesis is of course a new thesis. Dialectics can be applied as an analysis of history, philosophy, etc..

Materialism refers to a rejection of non-material (idealistic, spiritual, etc.) aspects to the world. The world is purely material in nature.

Thus dialectical materialism refers to an analysis of the evolution of human civilization treated purely as a material (real) phenomenon without idealistic aspects in a structure according to dialectics above.

Good job with the definition! I have read extensively on it, and have yet to come across a definition so succinct.

Edited by softwareNerd

• 4 years later...

From these definitions is seems that dielectic thought styles are reactionary and are unstable because they progress by constant revision. Also it sounds liek a reforming of pragmatism where you focus on the scope of the moment instead of a long term goal.

Models inducted logically based on fundamentals and axioms are better suited than utility of the moment thought styles with little to no consistency.