Objectivism Online Forum

Reblogged:Column: National Coronavirus Meltdown Means No More Smug Jabs at California

Rate this topic

hamster.jpg
Illegal in California (Image by Melqkov, via Wikimedia Commons, license.)
Until recently, we could all laugh at California's mind-boggling array of bans. Years ago, they prohibited single-use plastic bags. Gig work was banned this year, but firms like Uber fought back in court and firms like Vox Media blacklisted Californians. They talk about outlawing the internal combustion engine in ten years. It's even illegal to own a hamster there! Bottled water -- but not bottled Coke -- is verboten at the San Francisco airport.

But recent events have made me feel much less smug. Many of the products and services that California despises might save those of us hunkering down in our homes to avoid infection.

Since reusable bags harbor pathogens, chains like Target asked shoppers who won't avail themselves of single-use bags to bag their own purchases. (Last week, many municipalities wisely reversed or suspended these bans.) And then gig workers for companies like Uber Eats are essential to make life bearable for many people stuck in quarantine...

To continue reading my latest column, please proceed to RealClear Markets.

I would like to thank my wife and Steve D. for their comments on earlier versions of this piece.

-- CAV

Link to Original