Objectivism Online Forum

Movie Recommendation: Barcelona

Rate this topic

I'd like to recommend the movie BARCELONA written & directed by Whit Stillman. This is a very witty story involving a couple of American expats living in Barcelona. That's all you need to know about the plot, I don't want to ruin it for you.

The reason I think people on this board would enjoy it is because this is an unabashedly pro business movie. The protagonist is a salesman who loves his job and takes great pride in what he does. There's a great speech in which he extols the virtue of the business world. Laced with witty banter & some romance sprinkled throughout, I highly recommend it. Starring Taylor Nichols, Chris Eigeman, Mira Sorvino, & Thomas Gibson. Enjoy!

Barcelona details:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0109219/

Edited by stonebuddha

I liked Barcelona, just as I like Metropolitan before it. I wouldn't say that Barcelona was fundamentally a pro-business movie, but more of a pro-American movie, in a fairly non-philosophical way. Both of the characters were motivated by self-doubt to overcome what they perceived to be their weaknesses. I think the director saw both characters as two kinds of Americans most likely to venture abroad -businessmen and military. I found the businessman a bit too neurotic to classify as a person "loving" his job, but he was devoted to his work and was portrayed positively.