Objectivism Online Forum

To be a competent debater what must I know without needing to look the information up?

Rate this topic

dadmonson

If I want to be a competent debater what information  must I know without needing to look it up?  Without the need for research?

Here is what comes from off the top so far (in no order):  Esthetics provides a standard in which to judge art.  Selfishness is rational self interest.  Capitalism is the only moral system because it’s the only system that protects a man’s rights.  Metaphysics is the study of reality as a whole.  The universe contains all that which exists.  Happiness is the purpose of ethics.  A concept is a mental integration of 2 or more units.  A percept is a group of sensations automatically retained and integrated by an organism’s mind.  Only human beings can form concepts.  Epistemology studies the way a man gains knowledge and what qualifies as knowledge.  Reason integrates the data provided by man’s senses.  People should deal with one another as traders.  Reason purpose and self esteem are the main values of a rational man’s life.  Being rational means acting in accordance to the facts.  Reason is man’s basic tool of survival.  Purpose is the happiness man chooses that his reason must help him to achieve.  Self esteem is the result of using his reason to achieve happiness.  Happiness is the state of noncontradictory joy a joy without penalty or guilt.  Happiness is only possible to rational men.  All that which promotes a rational man’s life is the good all that which destroys a rational man’s life is the bad.  You can’t get rights by violating rights.  The initiation of force is wrong because it stops a man from using his tool of survival, his reason.  The virtues are productiveness, pride, independence, honesty, justice, rationality and integrity.  Rationality is the main virtue all the others are applications in different areas.  Value is that which one gains and/or keeps virtue is the action by which one gains or keeps it.  Metaphysical means that which pertains to reality.  Collectivism is wrong.  Individualism is good because it allows men to act as they see fit.  Rights grant a man freedom of action in a social context.

I just typed this on my phone without looking at any source, what else do I need to know?  Also, on a scale of 1-5 how would you rate yourself as a speaker/debater?

On 6/5/2020 at 1:09 PM, dadmonson said:

..., what else do I need to know? 

Dadmonson, with regards to debate, first, it helps to think through your interlocutor's argument. Ask yourself, "what are the most likely counterpoints." For example: Trial lawyers are allowed to preview their opponent's deposition. You don't have that advantage, so you will need to plan ahead. Second, do some research into the hierarchy of an argument. Learn to recognize logical fallacies.

Third, don't be disappointed by your inability to persuade. You may not be aware of the full impression you make on some people, and you may have caused your opponents to confront an element of truth for them to work out for themselves.

On 6/5/2020 at 1:09 PM, dadmonson said:

Also, on a scale of 1-5 how would you rate yourself as a speaker/debater?

I don't rank myself too highly as a debater. I don't find too many people worthy of my time.