Objectivism Online Forum

A Nations Sense Of Life

Rate this topic

Richard Roark

If anybody wants to see what a nation's sense of life is in the physical form all one has to do is look at the winning design for the "replacement" of the Twin Towers.

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=199158  <_<

:huh: That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen! There's no comparison between that and some of the sketches on the "Half mile Skyscraper" thread. You say that this thing is going to be built on the WTC site? :o

Here is what was said when the design was chosen

"Today's announcement is the culmination of some of the many milestones we've achieved working together to rebuild and revitalize Lower Manhattan, and there is still much work to do," Governor Pataki said. "The consensus among all levels of government, the private sector, and the families of the victims, that brought us to this point, is a fitting tribute to the heroes who lost their lives in those evil attacks. The Libeskind plan promises to add an element of modern vision and magnificence to the already striking New York City skyline. These buildings will stand proudly as living reminders of New Yorkers' -- and Americans' -- strength and resilience for decades to come."

The squatty looking building's will stand proudly? This is a fitting tribute to those who lost their lives? Do these building remind you of strenght and resilience?

I found some choice words from the creator of this monstrosity:

"Each year on September 11th between the hours of 8:46 a.m., when the first airplane hit and 10:28 a.m., when the second tower collapsed, the sun will shine without shadow, in perpetual tribute to altruism and courage."

Great. <_<

At least they are re-building buildings. I saw a show about this ordeal and a lot of the victims families wanted a park, or large "cemetary" area to "enjoy nature" and not commemerate the "evils of greed which brought us so much pain" (paraphrased, not intended to be exact quotes-taken from memory). The land owners and business men who have had to fight just for this, have had a hard battle.

At least they are re-building buildings. I saw a show about this ordeal and a lot of the victims families wanted a park, or large "cemetary" area to "enjoy nature" and not commemerate the "evils of greed which brought us so much pain" (paraphrased, not intended to be exact quotes-taken from memory).

Wow. Talk about a clear-cut case of blaming the victim. <_<

The land owners and business men who have had to fight just for this, have had a hard battle.

Indeed, and it's a battle that they never should have had to fight, in two ways. First, they have to bear the loss of their skyscrapers, and then the loss of any decent building being built in the future in order to appease "victim's families," and whatever other government controls were imposed in this whole ordeal.

The government financed the original design of the building, so it’s not surprising that the replacement is a politically-motivated design as well. I did not like the original design of the building either, though it is much better than the proposed replacement.