Objectivism Online Forum
Dupin

Biden is our only hope, says Yaron Brook

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Eiuol said:

Just to remind some people, Trump has gotten his supporters to either believe that he didn't want to close down the economy in order to maintain economic health, and also to believe that he did want to close down the economy in order to save lives.

Trump has his contradictions, but here there are two issues to distinguish. He was talking about banning travel from China and Europe to protect America from further infection. So he partially shut down international economic relations, which is probably what he was referring to. Then there is the issue of shutting down domestic economic relations, which he doesn't even have much control over. That's been handled by local and state officials.

Edited by MisterSwig

No, he wasn't talking about shutting down economic relations. He said: "I shut it down; I closed down the greatest economy ever in history. I closed it down. Now we're opening it." I would be perfectly fine if he said he shut down international economic relations with China, but that's not what he said. An interesting strategy he has is to talk about related topics such that we would want to infer what he probably meant in order to make sense of why he would bring up to topics right next to each other. When we get down to the words themselves, there is no causal relationship between his claims. Psychologically this is effective because people on average try to establish a sensible causal story connecting a series of statements. But if the speaker doesn't actually use causal connectors between facts, then you can't make up the connection for them.

Clarification: you shouldn't make inferences of what someone means if they don't even establish a causal or logical connection between statements. This can be fine in discussion, because then you ask for clarification. Except clarification in this case is apparently just throwing out more words.

On 8/6/2020 at 8:26 AM, AlexL said:

Your claim was that most of Trump’s chaotic and erratic behavior etc. is only “bluff to throw off or tease his virulent media opponents into frenzies”, but is not fundamental to his personality.

You mention some instances when, in your opinion, he is doing this bluffing and provocation, namely directed toward media. This is not sufficient to prove that.

What about the chaotic and erratic behavior outside and beyond his interaction with the media, namely in domestic and foreign policies, in WH personnel decisions etc.? Are these also for bluffing/taunting the hostile media?

So: no, I cannot buy your arguments to explain away his behavior.

I am not trying to provide an explanation of all his behavior, in every instance, but pointing out that having a hostile and prejudiced Press (from the very start) against one has to have something to do with his actions. It meant that not a single Executive decision would ever meet with approval or a fair debate. He took them on at their own game, and I don't believe this was always smart or principled. I don't fault his unconventional methods in foreign policies, keeping enemies guessing and showing they can voluntarily make good choices: a carrot or the stick. My position is the over all positives for the country, not the personality/style of the president. This isn't a Mr Congeniality Contest. There is no such thing as perfection in a political leader. The Objectivist "good" - for whom and for what purpose? -  surpasses that mystical, intrinsicist notion, anyway. In short, you make best use of what you're given, making constructive criticism. The alternative on offer to any standards of freedom and self-responsibility - and a thriving US economy/employment which did enable and encourage those moral goods - until this year -  does not bear considering. Not necessarily in Biden's time in office, if that should happen, but veering further Left is being planned after him, no doubt.

Edited by whYNOT