Objectivism Online Forum

Tim Pool and the Media

Rate this topic

So who is doing most of the lying?  The mainstream media or this guy?

Tim Pool has a few channels on YouTube.  He is a moderately left leaning "classical liberalist".  But for me he has distinguished himself as a rational commonsense critical thinker who questions the mainstream narrative, and the loud far left Marxist intersectional religious types. The big meta-message from all of his channels points to a panic induced corruption of mainstream media, social media, and  the democratic party, and possibly beyond.. all in reaction to or anticipation of the election in November and the drive to stop Trump at all costs. 

He points out hypocrisy, false reporting, and the insanity of the far left time and time again... if he were to be trusted much of the mainstream media, big data (specially social media), and the democratic party at all levels, have already been irredeemably corrupted. 

So who is closer to the truth?  Tim Pool or the mainstream media?

Timcast Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe02lGcO-ahAURWuxAJnjdA

Timcast IRL Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLwNTXWEjVd2qIHLcXxQWxA

Tim Pool Channel

https://www.youtube.com/c/Timcast/featured

Edited by StrictlyLogical

Matt Drudge built his very successful news aggregate using links to other articles, periodically adding his own two cents. He doesn't flesh every article, and while mostly 'conservative' in nature, it still requires the reader to read with 'a grain of salt', so to speak.

I find an analogy to Gail Wynand here. After years of letting his paper coast, when he wanted to use the controls to guide it by, he found he could not.

Is there an aggregator software available that could be used to generate algorithms to find writers, if not outlets, that could in turn be used to generate a revenue that would encourage more of the same? 

"9 Best News Aggregator Websites (+ How to Build Your Own)"

Edited by dream_weaver

6 hours ago, dream_weaver said:

Is there an aggregator software available that could be used to generate algorithms to find writers, if not outlets, that could in turn be used to generate a revenue that would encourage more of the same? 

"9 Best News Aggregator Websites (+ How to Build Your Own)"

Scratch these. Even the build your own version looks to be done from the same basic approach.

Go to Amazon. Look at a product. Surf the web. Note all the targeted advertisement. 

Yet, opening my Firefox browser without a homepage assigned this morning, one of the pleasant surprises was this:

Big Gods Came After the Rise of Civilizations, Not Before, Finds Study Using Huge Historical Database

Mixed, it provided an angle I had not considered, reminded me of a project out there that deals with 'big data', and raised a loose end with regard to the Greek god Cadmus (of letters, a.k.a. writing) I ran across recently. He was referenced in a Franklin Planner note that the program's internal search engine does not parse. 

For a moderate left-leaning liberal, Tim Pool held his own pretty good. His assessment of Jordan Peterson's role in the culture seemed to describe children looking to him for a father-figure, rather than individuals seeking to discover their intellectual independence. 

Your edited post omitted the mention of finding more objective journalistic sources. The low-lying fruit Mr. Pool is swimming around in has more of a George Carlin appeal to it. Tim is lampooning fish in a barrel, carving a niche within an audience that considers it a sport.

1 hour ago, dream_weaver said:

Scratch these. Even the build your own version looks to be done from the same basic approach.

Go to Amazon. Look at a product. Surf the web. Note all the targeted advertisement. 

Yet, opening my Firefox browser without a homepage assigned this morning, one of the pleasant surprises was this:

Big Gods Came After the Rise of Civilizations, Not Before, Finds Study Using Huge Historical Database

Mixed, it provided an angle I had not considered, reminded me of a project out there that deals with 'big data', and raised a loose end with regard to the Greek god Cadmus (of letters, a.k.a. writing) I ran across recently. He was referenced in a Franklin Planner note that the program's internal search engine does not parse. 

For a moderate left-leaning liberal, Tim Pool held his own pretty good. His assessment of Jordan Peterson's role in the culture seemed to describe children looking to him for a father-figure, rather than individuals seeking to discover their intellectual independence. 

Your edited post omitted the mention of finding more objective journalistic sources. The low-lying fruit Mr. Pool is swimming around in has more of a George Carlin appeal to it. Tim is lampooning fish in a barrel, carving a niche within an audience that considers it a sport.

So are you of the view that he is finding the occasional fake in the otherwise predominantly trustworthy news?

Tim Pool usually turns five minutes worth of material into a twenty minute rant. I don't think he's lying. He just likes to rant (like so many other hot take podcasters) and he gets it wrong sometimes. He works at such a furious pace that he clearly leaves little time for fact-checking and reasoning. His IRL show is helping him, though, because he has two other people to check him, and the other guy is a better thinker than Tim.

I stopped uncritically consuming MSM years ago due to the poor standards of reporting. Now I doubt everything until I trace the claims back to the source. You rarely need to take the MSM's word for it, you can find the original statement or action somewhere online. For me they serve as an indicator of potentially interesting source material where I can find the rawest, fullest, original copy/record of reality. 

Edited by MisterSwig

8 hours ago, StrictlyLogical said:

So are you of the view that he is finding the occasional fake in the otherwise predominantly trustworthy news?

Hardly. He's looking for erroneous reporting, repackaging it, and adding his spin to the delivery. His pointing out the glaring contradictions he finds provides his show with a veneer of plausibility.

5 hours ago, dream_weaver said:

Hardly. He's looking for erroneous reporting, repackaging it, and adding his spin to the delivery. His pointing out the glaring contradictions he finds provides his show with a veneer of plausibility.

Maybe I need to break it down:

So

1. The mainstream news media is predominantly trustworthy as written.

2.  The occasional glaring contradictions he does find are used mostly to exaggerate and sensationalize events to fit an “alarmist” take on things which is only tenuously plausible.

After listening to Tim Pool and The Rubin Report in another thread, the delivery makes  me think of a fast talking hustler. At least when someone takes the time to commit their thought to writing, I can choose to digest it at my own pace. 

In a world that uploads more information in a day than a person can consume in a year, trying to process it all cannot be done.

Drudge provides a list of headlines. It:s like a quick overview of what is going on. Real Clear Media does a similar approach with breakdowns into politics, science, markets, etc.

Imprimis publishes a regular newsletter from a perspective that has its roots in western thought, especially if you subscribe to the idea that Christianity owes much to its platonic roots. Four Months of Unprecedented Government Malfeasance provides a good taste of what they're capable of. This is hardly mainstream though.

Lew Rockwell provides a libertarian front. World Net Daily has a founder with  wide-spread Christian roots.

As to mainstream media, I think I pulled the plug on them back in the mid-nineties.

A few notes I made to myself reading Heather Mac Donald's article:

"[T]he experts’ newfound power over nearly every aspect of American life was dependent on the maintenance of fear."

From Atlas Shrugged:
"Observe that he does not expect you to feel a causeless fear. When his kind get into power, they are expert at contriving means of terror, at giving you ample cause to feel the fear by which they desire to rule you."

She gets this right:
[T]o care about the economy is to care about human life, since the economy is how life is sustained. It is a source of meaning, as well as sustenance, binding humans to each other in a web of voluntary exchange. To its workers, every business is essential, and to many of its customers as well.

The primary job of government is to protect and uphold individual rights:
"Government officials, having shut down commerce due to unblemished ignorance of how markets work, now enabled the torching and looting of thousands of businesses due to the shirking of their most profound responsibility: protecting civil peace."

And later, in Heather Mac Donald's article:
Soon cities across the country became scenes of feral savagery. The human lust for violence, the sheer joy of plunder and destruction, were unleashed without check.

From Atlas Shrugged:
"No, you do not have to live as a man; it is an act of moral choice. But you cannot live as anything else-and the alternative is that state of living death which you now see within you and around you, the state of a thing unfit for existence, no longer human and less than animal . . ."

She wraps it up with a mixed ending, this being the better part of it:
"America’s Founders, schooled in a profound philosophical and literary tradition dating back to classical antiquity, understood the fragility of civil peace and the danger of the lustful, vengeful mob."

Edited by dream_weaver

In the rush to report on the coronavirus, there is a sea of reporting going on. In its wake 'vigilante' mask enforcement is only one of the issues that is being fed by the struggle to grasp onto something to ease the media fed uncertainty. 

"Bareface baa-d, masked-face better" is written with invisible ink over top of the edited sign which reads "Four legs baa-d, two legs better."