Objectivism Online Forum

Beauty

Rate this topic

JMeganSnow

Well, ladies and gents, particularly ladies, I thought it might be fun to start a thread where we could expose some beauty tips we've found. I personally was never taught how to do anything so simple as put on makeup or choose a hairstyle, so, now that I'm in my mid-twenties I find myself fumbling a bit.

So, things to include in this thread:

1. cosmetics and other products you recommend

2. grooming strategies

3. clothing styles you enjoy

4. desirable qualities of the end product (I'd appreciate it if you gents contribute on this one; no one likes to spend an hour prepping only to have it go unnoticed!)

Personally I have no recommendations of any kind to make; like I said I don't even know how to put on makeup, so we'll see if this thread goes anywhere.

I in particular am most attracted to women who have simple/natural beauty. A big turn off for me is too much makeup or too many flashy clothes. Catherine Zeta Jones, is a perfect example. Elegance and class really are attractive to me. Unfortuantely, too few girls in my High School met either of those physical qualities, in my opinion.

Edited by softwareNerd

By the way Jen I know how you feel, I was never taught either, and would most often go au naturale, but I'm in my mid twenties too and ought to *grow up some time*. I prefer a good tan really though :D

I did have some female roommates in the past who took a particluar intrest in *dressing me up* :D It taught me enough to get by. When I was bartending it was more of a neccessity, but in that I stick with the classics same as I do in clothes. black (that's eyes not lips) and earth tones :D

B)

Works for me

I prefer a good tan really though :D

I know what you mean but I'm stuck with some kind of ridiculously pale northern European complexion and I don't tan; expose me to sunlight and shortly thereafter references to boiled lobsters, cherries, and tomatoes apply.

I know there are some sunless tanning products out there, but I'm a bit worried that I'll turn orange.

I think beauty, as it relates to the body, depends strongly on the pride and confidence that a person has in them. A person that takes pride in their body will take care of it and take the necessary actions: exercise, eating right, grooming, etc to keep it worthy of that pride. Your body in a way is a piece of art and should be treated as such. Seeing a person that is fit, standing tall, and a look of confidence give you a different sense of the kind of person they are than a person that is flabby, hunched, slouching, and unsure of themselves.

With that said, I think that make-up is ok if only used to accent a women’s beauty instead of covering it up. When I see a women with loads of make-up on I see some one that isn’t happy with themselves, so they try to cover it up, mask it, trying to hide the part of them they dislike. It’s a form of deception. Plastic surgery can be the same if the results are ment for others and not for you.

In the end think that confidence and pride on the inside are key to beauty on the outside.

I'd just like to note that women who are apparently wearing little makeup aren't NECESSARILY wearing little makeup; part of the trick to applying it (and why it's so difficult) is to make it invisible.

I just learned a few things about make-up myself, due to my wonderful best friend who transformed me into a girl. Or at least made me see the light at the end of the tunnel of my hard-core tomboy phase. I'm black, but very light skinned, so I have a sort of golden tone. (Quite pale right now actually, due to the lack of sun, but hopefully that will change!) Try to find a color make-up that highlights your undertones instead of covers them up. (Comes from using a blush that's been too pale for so long.. made me look ghostly) So in the day I usually just wear a little powder to cover blemishes and some eyeliner and mascara. One thing I have noticed with eyeliner, if you put it on your top and bottom lid it makes your eyes look smaller and more intense. To keep the intensity, do the top and half of the bottom, i.e. start at mid pupil and continue the line outward, but don't underline the entire eye. I think it looks fabulous. I usually only use black mascara and eye-liner at night, and brown in the day. Burt's Bee's chapstick is MARVELOUS! It's the best I've found. Revlon makes a cream blush that you can smear onto your cheekbones, gives yourself a light pinkish tint that I love. If you scrub your face with salt water, (this sounds weird, but they sell salt scrub by the ton) literally just pour some salt in a bowl and add enough water to make a goopy sort of solution, scrub your face with it, it will take off dead skin cells without being too abrasive. And since salt dissolves in water it wont clog your pores. Baby soft! But be sure to wash with soap after and moisturize. Wow, never thought I would see the day when I would give make-up advice. Hope it helped!

Jennifer, I'm glad you started this topic! I was just thinking about how I'd like to have some Objectivist girlfriends to gab with about this sort of thing. Not that you can't get good tips of this sort from non-Objectivist women, but that with an Objectivist, I feel like I'm getting someone who has thought about these sorts of things in a different way.

Here are a few recommendations off the top of my head:

Tanners: I, too, am "blessed" with a fair complexion. For years I feared sunless tanners for the orange problem, too, but I've found that Neutrogena Build-a-Tan Sunless Tanner is a pretty good product. It changes your skin tone very, very gradually (I have to use it a few days in a row to approach anyone else's idea of "tan.") I haven't used anything on my face, but I just found that Neutrogena has a version for the face as well. Just a few things to keep in mind (with all tanners, I think). It's best to exfoliate before applying to prevent "patchiness"; go slowly and apply very evenly to prevent streaks (these are not pretty, trust me); and go light on areas where the skin is thicker (and this more likely to soak up the product): knees, ankles, elbows, etc. Put a little moisturizer on these areas immediately before applying will make things easier in this respect.

Moisturizer: I'm a big fan of Cetaphil Face Moisturizer with SPF 15 (scroll down a bit). It's light and oil-free, a bottle costs about $13 at the drugstore and lasts forever (maybe a year?), and it has the SPF, which is good to use year-round to prevent wrinkles.

Cosmetics: For daily wear, I use 4 products. I use the most natural shades I can find--I am on an eternal quest for a lip color that is essentially my natural color, but a few shades more intense. I've been pretty happy with Clinique products, which are sort of expensive but worth it in terms of quality and how long they last (as in months). Their Long Last Soft Matte lipsitck is the best I've found in its category. It's easier to apply than the ones that come out of a tube, and doesn't fade in the center, leaving a weird ring-around-the-lips effect. It doesn't last though everything--putting on lip balm will take some of it off, eating lunch will take all of it off--but it does last longer than a normal lipstick. My favorite color (for my coloring) is Berry Berry.

I would make such a good infomercial! I'm really looking forward to what the rest of you have to say. Does anyone have a good mascara rec? I'm constantly rubbing mine off.

The mascara I use (sort of) does NOT come off, unfortunately I've forgotten the name. :lol: I'll dig it out when I get back home this weekend.

Using salt scrub sounds interesting, Fasheezy, do you just use regular table salt or do you buy some specific brand? My aunt (the memories of advice are coming back, maybe I just blocked them out) told me that swimming in salt water is supposed to be really good for your skin, also.

Now that I'm remembering what I've actually tried in the past:

Body oil is better than body lotion that I've noticed, because you only need a few drops so a bottle will last forever. If you put it on while your skin is still fairly damp, it won't clog your pores, either. I especially like Neutrogena body oil; it's sesame oil. I have a hard time finding the unscented kind, though, and the regular kind has a really HEAVY scent that's sure to interfere with whatever else you prefer.

For hand moisturizing, I prefer Aveeno Skin Relief Moisturizing Lotion. It stays on your hands forever but you don't leave little greasy fingerprints all over the place. That, and it stops itching completely. It's almost unscented; it has some menthol in it and you can smell it a bit. (I have this thing about not wearing six different perfumed products at the same time; I think you should just pick ONE thing to smell like. :))

I have problems with breakouts, myself, especially on my upper arms lately, which is leading me to think that I have either a perfume or a detergent allergy (possibly both). I was told (I haven't tried it yet) that Arm & Hammer detergents are MUCH better for anyone with a detergent allergy. I'm going to try that and see if it works.

lol. For some reason I find this thread funny as hell--probably b/c I find it to be so unexpected in an Objectivist forum, even if it is miscellaneous section. :lol:

I think beauty, as it relates to the body, depends strongly on the pride and confidence that a person has in them. A person that takes pride in their body will take care of it and take the necessary actions: exercise, eating right, grooming, etc to keep it worthy of that pride.

I'd like to second this opinion. (not that this really helps in relation to your beauty questions Jennifer; in fact, it's quite the contrary--but I think some of us males may be thinking, "I bet she thinks that pale skin and a non-makeup face make for an unattractive women," so take from it what you will =P.)

I'd like to second this opinion. (not that this really helps in relation to your beauty questions Jennifer; in fact, it's quite the contrary--but I think some of us males may be thinking, "I bet she thinks that pale skin and a non-makeup face make for an unattractive women," so take from it what you will =P.)

Oh, on the contrary, it can be VERY attractive, IF you're born as hairless as a billiard ball (except for the top of your head, sculptured eyebrows, and eyelashes) AND you happen to have a perfect complexion that for some reason is immune to all influences.

The times I've forgotten to do even the simple things I do (and I wear makeup once in a blue moon, because I haven't figured out how to put it on without looking like I was rejected for a job at a house of ill repute for looking too slutty) men will usually comment that I look kind of "tired" or "sick" today.

The times I've forgotten to do even the simple things I do (and I wear makeup once in a blue moon, because I haven't figured out how to put it on without looking like I was rejected for a job at a house of ill repute for looking too slutty) men will usually comment that I look kind of "tired" or "sick" today.

LOL! Are you sure you weren't simply stressed out though (maybe from contemplating what to put on, or by knowing the fact you didn't have time to put anything on)? (of course, I do wonder what you mean by "simple things,"--hopefully a shower and brushing of the teeth and hair are catergorized under "simple things," if not, then anyone would easily fall under the category of tired or sick.)

How to know if your primping and dressing has payed off? Well, if he doesn't notice, you've probably got it right. You want it so he notices when you HAVEN'T made an effort, not the other way around. :lol:

No I don't, because I don't want to spend two hours making myself beautiful every day. Ideally, when it's a special occasion and I really pull out all the stops I would like to induce lightheadedness, and the rest of the time he thinks I look "nice today".

I think a few dabs of makeup etc. are enough to make you look feminine i.e. men recognize that you're a woman and you feel like one. Which, of course, helps with the self-confidence thing.

I've noticed that when you're "dressed" it's easier to have poise, too, because nice clothes aren't very forgiving; they make you more conscious of what you're doing.

I would just like to say that I'm enjoying this thread oh so very much. Let me add my two cents.

I love straight hair. Though this might be a function of the context of a woman's complete look, I find myself attracted to women with beautifully shining, perfectly straight hair. I also like some curvature in the eyebrows.

LoL yeah, she's awesome. I watched that insipid show *Dark Angel* for a whole season just because of her.

:)

Ahhhh...me too. How can I forget? B) I actually liked that show a lot though. And it really P*ssed me off when they cancelled it.

Great topic! :) I'll post some of my ideas, but I also recommend you watch the Learning Channel's What Not to Wear. If you don't have cable or satellite TV, try their web site. http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/whatnott...tnottowear.html

First, shoes (my favorite): Round toe is classic; it never goes out of style. Pointed toes elongate the line of your leg. Square toed shoes make your feet look like stumps. Big lug-sole platform shoes make you look like Frankenstein. Really!

I'd like to dispel the myth that pointy shoes hurt your feet. Your toes are NOT - repeat NOT - supposed to be in the point! The widest part of your foot (the ball) should line up with the widest part of the shoe. If your toes feel squished, go up a size. If your foot is swimming in the shoes that are big enough to not squish your toes, then go with a narrower shoe in that size. Don't let the shoe salesman bully you. If the shoe isn't comfortable, don't assume it will break in. It will only get worse when you wear it.

Buying boots is a little different than shoes. I would make sure you know your shoe size in the brand of boots you're buying before you buy boots, as boots are a big investment. Boots will slip a little in the heel when you try them on. This is normal. It's because the sole isn't flexible yet. Boots don't have laces to hold onto your foot, and don't follow your foot the way pumps do. Expect about 1/2" of slippage.

Right now, you can get a lot of fabulous little kitten heels that are sexy and easy to wear for day to day. My rule for buying dress shoes is that I should be able to dance in them or they're not comfortable enough. My absolute favorite pumps are from Prada. They're incredibly well balanced and are more comfortable than my Farragamos and Stuart Weitzmans that both have lower heels.

Buy shoes that are all leather everywhere they touch your foot. This will prevent blistering because your foot will be able to breathe. Leather soles are dressy and light. Rubber soles wear longer and are more resistant to the elements. Yes, all leather is more expensive, but you can buy 3 pair of shoes that you hate wearing or buy one pair that you don't want to take off. Buy the good pair. (Of course, it's best to have at least 2 pair, so you can switch off and give the shoes a chance to air out between wearings. Even the most delicate of ladies sweats through her feet. We're living beings, after all. Start with one pair and buy another pair later, or pick some out before Christmas and birthdays and let it be known what you want.)

A store is the best place to start because you can try on different brands and sizes. Department stores tend to carry a bigger variety than boutiques because of the high cost of inventory. If you don't have decent stores near where you live, try nordstrom.com, neimanmarcus.com, and zappos.com. For great discounts on quality shoes, I'd also go to colehaan.com and check out their sale section.

Makeup: Go to your nearest department store. Many of them do free makeovers (no purchase required, but it is encouraged.) Tell them what you want - if it's a natural look, go for it. They can tell you how to do it. Pick a girl who has a makeup look that you like and ask her about makeovers. Otherwise you could try a salon, but of course that's more expensive.

I have a 5-minute daytime makeup routine that includes foundation, blush, eyeshadow, mascara, lip liner and lipstick. I used to think foundation would cause acne. Not so; a quality foundation will actually help protect your face from pollutants that can cause acne.

For evening, I add some eyeliner to the top lid and use a slightly darker pallette for eyes and lips.

For casual weekends, I keep it simple with some moisturizer with sunscreen, mascara, and one of those new lip glosses that comes in a bottle with a Qtip-like wand. (Then you don't need to mess with liner, but it still looks good.) A hint of color brightens your whole face.

If your budget is tight, the best place to skimp is mascara. There are several good drugstore mascaras. Eyeshadow and nail polish from a drugstore (or Target) are also OK.

It's very important to invest in a good set of brushes. I like Paula Dorf. Stila is also good. Don't get Sephora - they're stiff and poke your eyes. Brushes should be whisper soft.

Speaking of brushes, you can get cheap little paintbrushes at Wal-Mart for doing your nails. If you go outside the lines (easy to do with darker reds), dip a paintbrush in the polish remover. This makes it easy to clean up the edges. Cotton and Q-tips always get fuzz in the polish.

I probably don't need to say this, but stay away from sparkly makeup and odd nail colors like blue and purple. Femininity is about polishing and enhancing your beauty, not looking like a corpse or a clown.

It's also important to take your makeup off at night and apply moisturizer. It's really bad for your skin to leave makeup on overnight. Here again, you can skimp on cleansers and makeup removers. I like L'Oreal eye makeup remover because it's not greasy. Greasy makeup removers tend to stay on your eyes and make your shadow cake the next day.

I'll post about clothing another night. Now it's time for beauty rest!

Edited by Pony Girl

As a college student, I’ve learned how to beautify despite having to strictly budget time and money, and, actually, I’m quite content with my overall appearance and doubt I’ll decide to turn in any of my products/techniques anytime soon. If you’d like to know of my “beauty secrets,” please message me. If I hear from more than a couple of you, I’ll go ahead and post in length.

Also, if you aren’t in the shape you would like to be in, I’d be willing to share tried and true advice on shaping and toning up quickly. Come to think of it, not only will you improve your physique, feel better and have more energy once you adopt an exercise routine, but it can cause drastic, naturally beautiful improvements to your facial appearance: Just 20-30 minutes of exercise each day, three to five days per week, can add life to your eyes, help your complexion, add a healthy glow to your face, etc.

Again, feel free to message me.

-Kristen

Edited by LibertyK

Does anyone have a good mascara rec? I'm constantly rubbing mine off.

Try something waterproof. You have to take it off with a remover, since it doesn't come off easily with water. I like L'Oreal. I know Maybelline is very popular, although I personally find it too clumpy. Remember to throw your mascara away every 3 months.