Objectivism Online Forum

Beauty

Rate this topic

JMeganSnow

Ahhhh...me too. How can I forget? :D I actually liked that show a lot though. And it really P*ssed me off when they cancelled it.

I liked it at first but then it got so out there with the mutants (?):alien: and everything that I thought it became hokey.

But I guess I was dissappointed when they cancelled it too :)

Dressing is more important than make-up, and should get most of your focus. You can have the best makeup job in the world, but if your clothing isn't right its all for naught. Good dress will overshadow a less-than-stellar makeup job every time.

It's important to get clothes that make you look like a -woman-. Women are supposed to have curves, and you want your clothes to accentuate the ones you have, or create the illusion of them where you don't have them. Basically, you want to have an hourglass shape to your body. For example: if you're straight as a stick, get jackets/tops that are tailored in at the waist and flare out a little going down from there.

Clothes must -fit properly-. Too often I see woman wearing things that are too small for them (causing unsightly bulging) in a vain attempt to pretend they are smaller size than they actually are. Be honest with yourself about what size you are: you will look better for it. Also, don't wear sweaters, shirts, and sweatshirts that are waaay too big for you just because you think they are "comfortable". They make you look as enormous as the garment.

Proportion is very important. Men do not want a disfigured woman. Make sure your waist line is in the appropriate place: about 2 inches below your belly button. Don't wear jeans with a rise too low or too high. If at all possible, try clothes on with 360 degree mirror before buying. If you're short, don't wear shorts or capri pants (get them all the way to the shoe), and do wear pointy-toed shoes. Find the skirt length appropriate for your torso-to-leg proportion.

Men like mystery; don't expose too much skin, but don't wear turtle-neck sweaters all the time either. A hint goes a long way, and puts a man into 'acquistion mode'. Give him just enough to make him want more :lol:

Lastly, makeup is rightfully an enhancement of whatever beauty you possess, and wrongfully a cover-up for whatever you don't like about your face. Don't try to hide behind your makeup. Instead, focus your attention on accentuating what you do like about your face.

I would also like to caution you all about tanning. Tanning with sunlight/tanning beds/radiation of any kind repeatedly *will* cause your skin to age prematurely. You don't really want to look like your 70 when you're 40, do you? Do sunless tanning if you want to darken a bit, and for goodness sake put on some sun screen. You'll be glad you did later in life. :)

Edited by TomL

I know there are some sunless tanning products out there, but I'm a bit worried that I'll turn orange.

I'm a whitey, too, but before I went to Miami last year, I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be blinding people on the beach. I tried a sunless tan. :lol: The brand I used is made for men, but I can't imagine that gender matters for a spray-tan. It's Lab Series for Men. If you're interested, try it out on some part of your body that isn't visible normally. The bottle was only $12, and it really did look natural.

Being a person that is way too much into his own appearance, I just had to add something to this thread. My advice goes for both men and women. Stay away from trends. If you dress with whatever the current trend happens to be, you look just like every one else (like a tasteless whore, judging from current trends) and you have clothes that you can’t wear 3 months from now. Dress classy. It works for every one. Simple, confident, and tasteful. And it’s not nearly as expensive as being trendy.

I know what you mean but I'm stuck with some kind of ridiculously pale northern European complexion and I don't tan; expose me to sunlight and shortly thereafter references to boiled lobsters, cherries, and tomatoes apply.

I know there are some sunless tanning products out there, but I'm a bit worried that I'll turn orange.

Pale girls are the hottest, my friend :(

If you didn't intend to "hit on" her, then you shouldn't have used the :pimp: What exactly does that little picture mean?

Much to all you ladies' chagrin (j/k)

Couldn't that remark be taken as being self-depracating? It probably isn't in your best interest to sound that way when looking for romance.

Note: Edited to more accurately reflect original intention of the poster.

Edited by TomL

The need to joke about something as serious as dating is most often an indicator of insecurity, and independent heroes are not insecure.  Every woman here probably cringed, sighed, or chuckled when they read that last reply.

When I read it, I was thinking to myself "If only he hadn't inserted the '(j/k)' he would have been on the mark".

Color and Patterns - Dos and Don'ts

- When wearing bright colors, select one item (such as a t-shirt or shirt) in the bright color and pair it with neutrals (such as grey, black, tan, blue, or brown). Wearing multiple brightly colored articles will make you look like a clown or a radioactive fruit.

- Wear colors that complement, but don't match exactly. For example, a blue shirt, jeans, and green shoes. Be careful when mixing pinks and reds to avoid looking like a piece of candy - moderation is key.

- Black is a classic and neutral color. It can also be very elegant. However, if all you ever wear is black, and you don't combine it with any color, you'll come across as rather dreary.

- Ladies, your shoes don't need to match your bag. Again, use complementary colors.

- If you are a small person, don't wear a big print. It will overwhelm you and make you look smaller.

- When combining prints, select one large pattern and make the other articles small, subtle patterns. Two or more large patterns will look confused. However, a shirt with a small pinstripe will go great with a windowpane sportcoat or vice versa. Prints should be combined in 3's - so ladies, wear a scarf! Men - have fun with your ties! Don't wear 4 prints.

- Don't wear big prints on body parts that you don't want to enhance. If you wear a big plaid pant, your rear will look bigger. If you have large shoulders, don't wear tops with big prints.

- Don't wear horizontal stripes. They make you look stocky. Vertical stripes make you look long and lean.

Edited to add a bullet.

Edited by Pony Girl

Bah, you all are giving dond too hard of a time. I think he's rather funny :P

I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be blinding people on the beach.

My theory has always been: If they are blinded, then I don't have a problem :lol:.

Ahhhh....... I thought this topic would never come up!! Being a hairstylist, I feel right at home in this topic! ;D

Although I am able to do make-up, my expertise is in hair. Allow me to make a few suggestions on facial shapes and hairstyles.

The ideal facial shape is oval. In any hairstyle, this is the look you are trying to create.

If you have:

- A round face - Go for hairstyles that are either above or below (preferably below) your chin. If you get a chin length bob, it will bring attention to the roundness by framing it. Get some soft layers around the face. It softens the shape and hides a bit of the roundness.

Always go for a textured (slightly wavy) style. Dead straight hair is not usually flattering for most people as it draws attention to facial flaws.

- A big forehead - Fringes or bangs are THE solution to this problem. Depending on your size, get light wispy bangs. If you can handle it, go for a more solid perimeter with a little texture to add movement.

- A long narrow face - Go for a shoulder length cut. Longer hair will just draw you down, adding to the elongation of your face. Ask for lots of layers (depending on your hair type) to create width in the cheekbone area.

- A small face - Short! If you have fine or smaller features, try to have lots of layers around the face to open it up. I find that too many faces are hidden on small people due to the amount of hair. Don't have too big of hair else it will overwhelm your frame.

Stay tuned..... for prt. 2!! --- Color!! (And a continuation on cuts)!

Any questions on beauty, please feel free to contact me!!!

Take care~~ Carebabe!

P.S I've been in the industry for 6 years ;D!

Regarding mascara: I tend to look like some freaky hooker-doll when I wear regular mascara. (EEEK!) It overpowers the rest of my face. A few years ago, I discovered a clear mascara. (It's made by Maybelline, I think.) It darkens and accentuates my eyelashes, but not overwhelmingly so. I also like it because I never have to worry about it (visibly) running. I never wear anything else.

So if regular mascara tends to look too heavy on you, it's definitely worth a try.

Also, last year I started having my hair highlighted. It's expensive, but really fun. I like the variety, in that my hair looks a bit different (due to deliberate changes in the mixture of colors) every 6 weeks or so.

(Hey, for once I get to write a post when I'm not mad. Fancy that!)

- Don't wear horizontal stripes.  They make you look stocky.  Vertical stripes make you look long and lean.

Extremely vibrant vertical stripes will make you look like a cafe awning, though, so be careful.

Is this thread appropriate for male fashion tips as well?

Hey, if you've got 'em, bring 'em on. Let's just not devolve into too many exercise tips because there are threads for that already.

Regarding mascara: I tend to look like some freaky hooker-doll when I wear regular mascara.  (EEEK!)  It overpowers the rest of my face.  A few years ago, I discovered a clear mascara.  (It's made by Maybelline, I think.)  It darkens and accentuates my eyelashes, but not overwhelmingly so.  I also like it because I never have to worry about it (visibly) running.  I never wear anything else.

This is an EXCELLENT idea. I've always wanted my eyelashes just to be visible all the way to the end; they're blond and the tips disappear, but I HATE wearing regular mascara.