Objectivism Online Forum

Reblogged:Are Riots Finally Backfiring on Democrats?

Rate this topic

At Fox News is a remarkable column by civil rights attorney and lifelong Democrat Leo Terrell. His is the reasoning of a black man who is about to vote Republican for the first time in his life:

coming_soon.jpg
Is this what the Democrats stand for? (Image by Lorie Shaull, via Wikimedia Commons, license.)
What has happened to the Democratic party? I don't even recognize it anymore -- not since they allowed all policy decisions to be made by extremists within the Black Lives Matter and Antifa movements. Thanks, but I'll take a hard pass on House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif. dressing up in a kente cloth and taking a knee.

I need, WE need, for Democrats to support law and order. We need Democrats to acknowledge that ALL Black lives matter ... that it means more than just the George Floyds of the world. It means the Black-on-Black crime that's killing children in Chicago, and the looting and riots that killed retired St. Louis police captain David Dorn, a Black man.

Instead of seeing the very real and very necessary reason for police in poor neighborhoods, Democrats are calling to "Defund the Police." If you do this, who will answer the call to fight the drug dealers and the gang members in the neighborhood? I can assure you, it won't be a social worker and it won't be Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y. [links omitted, bold added]
Terrell, who starts off noting, "I did not leave the Democrats, they left me," also objects to being taken for granted, and praises the President for his executive order on police reform.

I am not a Trump fan and I would probably disagree with Terrell on many things, but I would not be surprised if this column turns out to be the tip of an iceberg: These are all legitimate or understandable concerns, about a party that has run things for decades in the very places where they now allow or cheer on wanton destruction -- about a party that now wants to run the entire show.

I do not trust the Republicans to improve things, but I do trust the Democrats to make things worse.

-- CAV

Link to Original