Objectivism Online Forum

Job Tired

Rate this topic

Biker

I’d suggest starting by laying out what you mean by “better job”. I’ve never had a job that sucked intrinsically, it was always because of something bad about it. If you have an actual list, that may help you decide what job to pursue: maybe being a lion tamer, maybe a chartered accountant. Since you apparently haven’t lost your job, you can take a bit of time to do some long-term thinking. For example, what is your central purpose in life? How does your (current or dream) job relate to that purpose?

4 hours ago, DavidOdden said:

I’d suggest starting by laying out what you mean by “better job”. I’ve never had a job that sucked intrinsically, it was always because of something bad about it. If you have an actual list, that may help you decide what job to pursue: maybe being a lion tamer, maybe a chartered accountant. Since you apparently haven’t lost your job, you can take a bit of time to do some long-term thinking. For example, what is your central purpose in life? How does your (current or dream) job relate to that purpose?

Good post.  Thanks.  Didn't quite occur to me this way.  

1 hour ago, Biker said:

Good post.  Thanks.  Didn't quite occur to me this way.  

OK, I took your advice and sat down and examined this problem through the lens you've provided.  

My central purpose in life?  That's to secure the blessings of Liberty for all the world from now until the Andromeda meets the Milky Way and ends this sphere.  Well, actually that will happen long before the collision, but you get the point, I'm sure.  But fighting for Freedom does not make money, rather it costs money, which brings me to my need for a job to get money to survive...

You're right, it isn't the job, it's the bad things around it.  Namely, the people I work with.  I work in a custom shop.  I love working with metal.  I love running the machines and making product.  The management loves me.  I am self-contained, self-sufficient and never bother them.  I love to work and I love what I do.  Therein lies the problem.  The people I work with?  They do not love to work. They are there for a paycheck only and would rather not be there.  They want to watch football, drink beer and lie on the couch.  Not my style.  But my passion brings out the devil in them.  They know I am happy to work, and so they go out of their way to hide behind a dumpster somewhere and do nothing and leave the work to me.  I do not hide behind dumpsters, but go out of my way to find those who are hiding behind dumpsters and confront them.  I am not afraid of confrontation, controversy nor conflict.  I deal with it.  Openly.  Brazenly.  I have no tact, no filters.  This causes the lazy, apathetic creatures around me to hate my guts because they have to work after all.  This is my never ending battle.  It is everywhere I look.  I like to work.  They don't.  Sometimes I think I should just give up, join the club, and go hide behind the dumpster like the rest of the world.  But, nah.  That's just not me.  

On the other hand, I have a great time in my little tiny shop at home, fabricating my own little metal works, e.g., knives, jewelry, etc. from copper and other metals.  I love to work alone.  I hate working with other people (not all other people however.  Some are very cool).  They hate working with me.  I am 100% driving forward, git 'er done.   They are 100% driving backward, let's go hang out behind the dumpster until it's time to go home.  I call them out and roust the management to do something about the situation.  I get everybody going the right way again.  I am a leader.  But I don't want it.  I have other more interesting things to do than babysit wayward children.  When you look at personality types, I am what is described as a "Sigma male".  Tried and true.  I do everything alone.  I seek to be alone.  And I am not afraid of whatever comes.  I do not pal around with anyone, let alone the lazy and apathetic.  I am heavily resented for that.  People don't understand why I won't kiss butt and go along to get along.  I do not understand why they do.  

I think its time to look at going it alone.  Seriously.  I will keep a job for a while and see how I can earn a living from home, from my own little shop and see how that grows.  I am tired of the workplace.  It isn't anything like it used to be.  And that ain't all good.  

Meantime I do love the outdoors and would love to be working outside again.  Park ranger, postman, mountain bike tourism, something along these great outdoor lines.  I'm not learning nor earning anything stupendous where I am, so I I could be in another place where at least I could be somewhat left alone and happy.  

I'm going to apply at the Post Office today and see if I can carry letters while I keep working in my shop and maybe get a little business going.  

Thanks for your idea.