Objectivism Online Forum

What Would Peter Keating's Blog Look Like?

Rate this topic

kenstauffer

This is a general post to solicit feedback about BLOG's. What purpose do they serve for people who keep blogs? Would Howard Roark maintain a blog and what would he write? What are the motivations for people to keep a blog? What does it do for you personally?

Would second handers like Peter Keating use blogs, and what kind of thoughts would such personalities record?

I am thinking of getting into blogging myself, as I think it would be nice to have all my musing in one spot (instead of scattered over all kinds of forums, newsgroups, etc...).

Thanks, Ken

Personally, blogging is primarily an outlet for me to vent the rage I feel against a world that is hostile towards the heroic. Secondarily, it's a tool I use to sharpen my writing skills, and to learn about things I'm interested in. Finally, if my blog happens to make someone think about their philosophy and their views on life, that's extra topping on the cake.

To me, at this point, a blog is a public Journal. I've kept little notes to myself on various topics over the years. When I first read Ayn Rand, I made a lot of notes on Philosophy. Later, on Finance. Finally, when I started working, my interest shifted to Software Development. I would make notes like: "What went right and wrong with my last project". The twin objects were: to better formulate my thoughts on the topic; and, to jot them down so that I would remember. I'd do the same with book-summaries.

My blog has a very similar purpose: get my thoughts together and get them in a place where I can refer to them later. The difference is that my Blog is public. So, there is an element of preaching and sharing involved.

Even if not a soul reads the public blog, for me it imposes a discipline of having to verbalize my thoughts, bringing them much more into conceptual terms. So, my Blogs tend to be things I'm thinking about, but are not too "initial" (the latter I keep private or share privately).

Would Howard Roark maintain a blog and what would he write?
That's an interesting question. I think he might. I reckon it may have entries like: "The Potential of Plastics" and "The Principle behind the Dean".

Would second handers like Peter Keating use blogs, and what kind of thoughts would such personalities record?
I reckon many of them would. I can just imagine a young Peter Keating blogging about the virtues of golf, so that he can quote it to an client who is an avid golfer: "You love golf! I do too; in fact, I've even blogged about it." Also, entries that win approval from Toohey and his ilk.

• 4 weeks later...

My blog here serves as a journal for all to read. I scour the current events of the day on the Internet and let my imagination extend itself regarding what I think of various events and issues.

Regarding Peter Keating's blog, I'd love to register another account in his name and take a stab at it! I loved The Fountainhead and Peter Keating's personality as a second-hander has a fascination I'd love to lampoon in such a format.

This is a general post to solicit feedback about BLOG's. What purpose do they serve for people who keep blogs?

The purpose of my blog is to communicate my ideas to others. I use all sorts of media to achieve this goal. Posting and blogging here is one of them.

I realize this thread is about the purpose of a blog, but I wanted to ask if anyone here has compared different blogging sites. I looked for comparison charts on the web, but could not find any. Mainly: what features would one get by choosing Blooger over BlogLines, or LiveJournal over those two?