Objectivism Online Forum

Reblogged:It Is Not 'Self-Interest' to Take Illness Lightly

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, whYNOT said:

Voluntarily? From individual choice?

At least that, including the choices of owners and managers of stores and other properties.

If government mandates mask-wearing or social distancing, this is far less destructive than a lockdown, and may be justified in some cases.

26 minutes ago, Jon Letendre said:

All the physical aggression came from the side that intentionally ruined millions of lives with a scam.

Intentionally, viciously and cynically, I agree. Coronavirus played into their hands, a gift from god.

The scam part is very doubtful (not altogether impossible). If you mean a China-linked conspiracy...?

Edited by whYNOT

30 minutes ago, Doug Morris said:

At least that, including the choices of owners and managers of stores and other properties.

If government mandates mask-wearing or social distancing, this is far less destructive than a lockdown, and may be justified in some cases.

But that's a quibble over the meaning and actuality of lock down. It is inclusive of all those partial elements.

NONE, the whole or parts thereof, should have been "mandated" by gvt.

And yeah, I go to your place or business, I mask up, etc.. You come to mine, you are not required (unless I am pretty old and/or in poor health and so choose). .

Edited by whYNOT

The cold-causing viruses, that we have always had with us and will always have with us, stimulate our immune system and are an inextricable part of human life.

They are not ton-and-a-half masses impacting at 100 mph.

Mass home detentions, mask edicts, distancing edicts, guest count limit edicts, etc., are all blatant violations of basic rights, without any justification. —>Thedelicate can always stay home<— Therefore, those are massive, blatant violations of basic individual rights.

The little bastards have not really even yet scientifically identified their so-called “novel covid-19 coronavirus.”

The Great Scamdemic of 2020.

Edited by Jon Letendre

9 minutes ago, whYNOT said:
30 minutes ago, Jon Letendre said:

All the physical aggression came from the side that intentionally ruined millions of lives with a scam.

Intentionally, viciously and cynically, I agree. Coronavirus played into their hands, a gift from god.

Let's not forget that our real enemy is bad ideas, not bad people.

39 minutes ago, Doug Morris said:

That's good for many purposes, but when there is a possibility of people inadvertently committing physical aggression, it gets more complicated.

Inadvertently committing physical aggression? I'm not making that leap. Can you provide a better bridge of understanding for this?

2 minutes ago, Doug Morris said:

I don’t agree with that at all.

And in this case the aggression was committed by particularly evil people, Cuomo and other Dem Govs, who are soon going to pay a heavy price for their murder, attempted coup and treason.

14 minutes ago, Doug Morris said:

Good one. But like a virus, how are the bad ideas transmitted? From and to people, no?

Except that a virus infection in a person is accidental; People don't have - and carry out - bad ideas into action, accidentally nor innocently. They understand what they do and the effects.

Edited by whYNOT

1 minute ago, dream_weaver said:

nadvertently committing physical aggression? I'm not making that leap. Can you provide a better bridge of understanding for this?

Someone who is a carrier, but does not have symptoms and has not paid enough attention to the danger, can easily inadvertently commit physical aggression.

Someone who has a lapse while driving can easily inadvertently commit physical aggression.

15 minutes ago, Doug Morris said:

It is not a quibble.  The distinction between lockdowns and the other measures is important, even if some people obscured this.

Repeat: nothing must be mandated by Gvt's. Your body, your life, your choices.

Edited by whYNOT

5 minutes ago, Doug Morris said:

Someone who is a carrier, but does not have symptoms and has not paid enough attention to the danger, can easily inadvertently commit physical aggression.

Someone who has a lapse while driving can easily inadvertently commit physical aggression.

A lapse in driving can result in negligent homicide, vehicular manslaughter yes, just to name two.

Someone who has contracted CoViD-19 may not have symptoms. I can't equate inadvertently committing physical aggression with this. In a vehicle, there are several cognizant, prerequisite activities that need to be engaged prior to the avoidable damages that are inflicted.

8 minutes ago, Doug Morris said:

Simple. If you believe there are people who have lapses or might act deliberately to infect you, spend the next year in quarantine, or masked or whatever. Your choice. Until you get vaccinated.

4 minutes ago, whYNOT said:

Simple. If you believe there are people who have lapses or might act deliberately to infect you, spend the next year in quarantine, or masked or whatever. Your choice. Until you get vaccinated.

4 minutes ago, whYNOT said:
15 minutes ago, Doug Morris said:

If I believe someone in a car might wittingly or unwittingly aggress against me, should I avoid streets, roads, and vehicles?

13 minutes ago, Doug Morris said:

Too simplistic.  Government is entitled to mandate that I not recklessly endanger people.

Can you keep this one thing uppermost. We are talking about a virus, one with not much more severity than I and many people have had often.

We recovered, without a Nanny State to protect us. We didn't know mostly even who'd infected us, or whom we passed it on to. Nor, thankfully, that some unfortunate person way down the line died of it, due to his pre-existing condition.

The state has never mandated against transmitting the common flu, and must not start now. Despite this childish era we are in.

Edited by whYNOT

3 hours ago, whYNOT said:

That is the weakest link in my over all argument.

The post I was responding to had to do with scientists. I was criticizing that. Doesn't mean I ignored anything. I've said many times that the threat is exaggerated. But the antiscience attitude is pretty bad (distrusting on widescale how research is done based on misunderstandings of how science is done). 

57 minutes ago, Doug Morris said:

Dream_weaver, would you prefer unknowingly rather than inadvertently?

It is the physical aggression I am taking umbrage with.

It is equivocating a force of nature with the initiation of physical force by an individual.

Edited by dream_weaver