Objectivism Online Forum

Extracting Maximum Value from Art

Rate this topic

Jonathan Weissberg

I've always taken a fairly passive approach to reading and art in general, but that's because I always viewed it simply as a form of entertainment. But now that I've read 'the psycho-epistemology of art' and thought much more about it, I am starting to see that it may in some instances play an important role in the functioning of our minds. If this is the case, then it's no longer only a form of entertainment, but perhaps something I need to also spend some time working on. I'm wondering what that might look like and wanted to throw out some ideas and get some thoughts from others.

Does anyone here write up summaries after reading a great novel? What about writing essays trying to explicitly connect the specifics from the books to principles you hold? What about trying to identify the principles in the story? I do not mean 'essays' to publish or for general reading, but personal essays. It would be personal in the sense that you may not hit at the main points in the story, but those elements most relevant to you at the current point in your life. 

And I wonder if this can be applied to anything else like music, sculpture, paintings?

What would it mean to engage in art actively as opposed to passively?

Is some art purely entertainment? And if some art isn't purely entertainment and does play a vital role in the functioning of our mind, how should we approach it?