Objectivism Online Forum

Hello

Rate this topic

Greetings all. I offer some biographical information for those who wish to hear about this new participant in your forum.

I am 23. I grew up in the Boston area, and am currently a second year law student at the University of Nebraska. I have a bachelor's in music business/management from the Berklee College of Music. My interests, apart from my studies, include music and poker.

I do not call myself an Objectivist. I do agree with much of what I have read of Miss Rand. I am a huge fan of reason, and am constantly, through reading, thought and discussion, exploring it. I do not call myself an Objectivist because, while I am familiar with and agree with the fundamentals and many of their extensions, I have not mastered the subject. Since I do not know everything I think I need to know about it, I don't think it is appropriate to identify myself as such.

I am grateful for the opportunity to participate in your forum. Finding people of similar thinking from whom to seek discussion, guidance, and encouragement, is difficult. I hereby thank those who were brilliant enough to create the internet, the means by which interaction between so many others can transpire. (I guess this means I hereby thank Al Gore. :P )

Welcome to the forum, Groovenstein.

What Ayn Rand books have you read?

At the risk of violating the rule requiring proper grammar, I am going to answer this question in a list format.

Atlas: once all the way through; certain passages several times.

Fountainhead (my favorite): twice through; certain passages several times.

We the Living: once through.

Virtue of Selfishness: several times, one essay at a time.

Capitalism: most of it, one essay at a time.

Philosophy Who Needs It: some of it, one essay at a time.

I frequently read articles on the ARI website. I haven't read much Rand herself recently as I have been reading a bazillion pages of material for law school the last three months.

Welcome. I'm an aspiring musician, so maybe I'll be using your services some day. When you get time, I suggest Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology. She really lays down the essential basics to her philosophy there, and it makes it much easier to grasp, not only Objectivism, but new knowledge and concepts in general (or so I've found).

Welcome.  I'm an aspiring musician, so maybe I'll be using your services some day.  When you get time, I suggest Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology.  She really lays down the essential basics to her philosophy there, and it makes it much easier to grasp, not only Objectivism, but new knowledge and concepts in general (or so I've found).

Feel free to ask me any questions you wish about music. I will try to answer as time permits.

Thank you for the suggestion. I think my roommate might have that one.

I am also 23. It's nice knowing that there's a participant at my age. I'm a bit worried this forum belongs to old beardy professors from university.i graduated from state islamic university, Jakarta. Don't worry, I'm not a militant moslem who likes to kill for the sake of God. I read Kierkegard and existentialism since I was in highschool. And when i was in college i used to visit Dirayarkara School of Philosophy's library.I'm journalist. I practice philosophy. I like to talk about life. A friend of mine offered me forums who like to talk dirty. I hope this is not the place for that.Groovenstein, HI!

Edited by Gentole

I am also 23. It's nice knowing that there's a participant at my age. I'm a bit worried this forum belongs to old beardy professors from university.

According to the member poll on age, almost all of the forum members are between 18 and 30, so you'll both fit in just fine.