Objectivism Online Forum

Reblogged:Friday Hodgepodge

Rate this topic

Four Things

A few coincidences from over the years...

1. Three times, I have unexpectedly met people I knew far from the time and place I made their acquaintances:
  • In my submarine days, my boat was pulling into the same port as another, which was the one a college suite-mate of mine who had entered the same program was assigned to. Our duties had us both topside during the brief time when both boats were at the pier, so we had a quick chat before parting ways again.
  • In grad school, I tended bar during a lunch shift with another student for a time. A couple of years later, I was walking through London's Heathrow Airport, on my way home from a computational neuroscience conference. This student and her family practically collided with me on their way to catch a flight back to Mexico.
  • In 2007, I attended OCON in Telluride, Colorado, and at one point ended up in the back of a bus with someone whose name I recognized when he introduced himself. We had a brief, cordial conversation. I met this person again over a decade later at a local gathering of Objectivists, and may have surprised him when I greeted him by name.
2_on_d4.jpg
Image by James Pond, via Unsplash, license.
2. One of my brothers and I regularly played Dungeons and Dragons back in high school with two other brothers. One day, we realized that our ages and heights were inversely correlated: I was the oldest and shortest, the other older brother was slightly younger and a bit taller, and so on. Both of the younger brothers topped six feet.

3. Mrs. Van Horn, as I sometimes call her here, kept her maiden name for professional reasons when we got married. The kids use my last name. Each of us was born in a different state -- whose name starts with the same letter as his or her respective last name.

4. One evening, my wife was having a conversation with a friend who mentioned being a fan of Ayn Rand. Naturally, my wife mentioned my admiration for Rand.

The topic had been religion, so this friend suggested that I might be interested in Craig Biddle's interview with Dennis Prager. In fact, I had -- only hours before -- finished listening to it in the car while on errands.

-- CAV

Link to Original

3 hours ago, Easy Truth said:

I was hoping to avoid "yes" but it may end up being the appropriate answer. The words mean different things to different people, in some cases the opposite of what they mean.

https://mises.org/wire/whats-difference-between-liberalism-and-neoliberalism

Meanwhile this is one reaction to the interview with Biddle.

The above links to the below in the context of these threads.

45 minutes ago, Gus Van Horn blog said:

Four Things

A few coincidences from over the years...

4. One evening, my wife was having a conversation with a friend who mentioned being a fan of Ayn Rand. Naturally, my wife mentioned my admiration for Rand.

The topic had been religion, so this friend suggested that I might be interested in Craig Biddle's interview with Dennis Prager. In fact, I had -- only hours before -- finished listening to it in the car while on errands.

People make associations/connections between both disparate and similar things. Then there's the coincidence that Gus Van Horn posted his reference to Craig Biddle's interview with Dennis Prager the same morning @Easy Truth shared a further interview with Craig Biddle regarding the matter.