Objectivism Online Forum

Bitcoin and Cryptocurrencies

Rate this topic

whYNOT

A direct mention of Mr. Thompson's exchange with John Galt would be incomplete without an indication of his fellow friend, fighter, outcast, Fransico's address to Hank Reardon at Jim and Cherryl's wedding. Note the hat tip to the parable of the "important bankers" where the destroyers are introduced.

AAUvwni98oYkStAlp1GsxfjstnA42KyrSfv_3Oa0 Chicken Genius just released his take on Coinbase as an investment, making an interesting point. He fully recognizes its ability to grow in business and market cap but warns about it being a mere CEX, a centralised exchange. The very problem Bitcoin came to solve. Fee less decentralised exchanges, DEXs seem to be the obvious choice in the long future, thus Coinbase losing its USP.

Discussing Bitcoin and Liberty with Yaron Brook and Stephan Livera
While governments and central banks are throwing billions at the economy to mitigate the effects of the lockdowns and the pandemic, Bitcoin is reaching new heights.

For some, cryptocurrencies are a great investment; for others, they are a bubble that will soon burst. Many in the liberty movement, though, see Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies as the path to more freedom and autonomy from the whims of the state and of central bankers.

In this online event organised by Obiektywizm Poland and supported by ARI Europe, Yaron Brook, chairman of the board of ARI, will discuss with Stephan Livera, Bitcoin podcaster and co-founder of the Australian Bitcoin education venture, all things related to cryptocurrencies and the prospects they offer for freedom.

When: Monday, 26 April 2021, 3 p.m. PT / 6 p.m. ET / 11 p.m. UK time

Where: Zoom: http://zoom.obiektywizm.pl

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've tried so many apps for trading crypto, but fortunately I was advised to use vexel and it is really the only app that I found out for myself that was really easy to use - reliable and clear, where I can withdraw my crypto & fiat funds to external wallets and bank. So I would definately recommend it.

Edited by MaxRon1967

• 1 year later...
On 4/2/2021 at 1:36 PM, merjet said:

LOL. You have expressed being very wary of cryptocurrency due to its price volatility (instability) and it having "no inherent or objective value/standard."

If you value stability so much, there are stablecoins (link). 

I can't speak for all or most bitcoin fans. So I will only indicate some reasons for my own confidence.

1. Competition. There are several cryptocurrencies. Ethereum is 2nd most popular behind bitcoin. If a bitcoin holder gets wary, will he or she swap it for another cryptocurrency or a fiat currency?
2. The fan base and usages are growing. I have already indicated advantages of crypto for international transactions, collateral, and protection from fiat currency inflation.    

There is also its protection from government confiscation. 

I'm not suggesting putting all of one's investment/savings in crypto or transacting in crypto as much as possible.    

Personally, I also trade crypto using the otc method on the platform en.cryptoprocessing.com/otc-exchange, I make good money.

I agree that stability is an important factor for many investors. Stakecoins can be a good option for those looking for a more stable cryptocurrency.

As for your reasons for confidence in Bitcoin, I think they are reasonable. Competition can drive innovation and development, and a growing following and popularity can indicate strong demand.

I also agree that cryptocurrency has benefits for cross-border transactions, collateral, and protection against fiat currency inflation. In addition, it is protected from government confiscation.

I believe that cryptocurrency is a promising investment vehicle, but it is important to approach it with caution. It's important to understand the risks associated with cryptocurrency and diversify your portfolio so you don't risk your entire investment.

I'm not suggesting putting all your investments/savings into crypto or doing as many crypto transactions as possible. However, I believe that cryptocurrency can be part of a balanced investment portfolio.