Objectivism Online Forum

Personality Types (Myer-Briggs)

Rate this topic

(Mod's note: Later -- now merged -- topic starts here.)

A few weeks back, I took the Jung Typology Test. It's basically a personality profiler. While reading the description of my personality type, INTJ, I noticed that I shared this type with Miss Rand. Does anyone else know their personality type? If not, feel free to take the test linked above, it only takes a few minutes. I know it's probably not an objective test but it's better than any fortune cookie or horoscope I've ever seen.

We will probably find that we have very similar personality types according to that test, so the more interesting discussion may be how strong everyone scores in each category. If I remember correctly, I was 89% Introverted, 75% iNtuitive, 100% Thinking, and 44% Judging.

Edited by softwareNerd

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a version of that test for school. I was INTJ along with my roommate and one of our friends. My score was much more drastic though. Almost all of my answers fell into the same category, though it didn't give a percentage, just a graph. I'm not all that fond of the test though. It seems as it some of the questions could have more than one meaning, and if you interpret it differently you could end up with something weird.

Interesting: INTJ

Introverted 89; Intuitive 50; Thinking 88; Judging 50

I would say that the commentary found on the score page fits me rather well. I'd be interested to see if female Objectivists also score INTJ. I think they would more than the general female population. Not to sound like a mysogynist, but I've read that women's personalities are generally more inclined to follow emotions and feelings more than men. Objectivist women, though, would most likely score INTJ at the same rate than men - the Dagny type :lol:

I have taken Myers-Briggs several times and always come out as an INTJ (borderline ISTJ)

Here are some of the profile descriptions:

E - Extraversion - tend to focus on people and things

I - Introversion - tend to focus on ideas and impressions

S - Sensing - tend to focus on the present and concrete information gained from their senses (described to me as "can't see the forest for the trees" or "detail oriented")

N - Intuition - tend to focus on the future, with a view toward patterns and possibilities (described to me as "big picture")

T - Thinking - tend to base their decisions primarily on logic and on objective analysis of cause and effect

F - Feeling - tend to base their decisions primarily on the values and subjective evaluation of person-centered concerns

J - Judging - tend to like a planned and organized approach to life and prefer to have things settled

P - Perceiving - tend to like a flexible and spontaneous approach to life and prefer to keep their options open

Some stats from when I took this test with my colleagues at work:

75% of people in the US who have reported their results are Extroverts.

70% of people in the US who have reported their results are Sensing.

51% of people in the US who have reported their results are Thinking.

75% of people in the US who have reported their results are Judging.

Obviously, the test is riddled with false dichotomies. It would be interesting to write a similar test with choices that actually make sense.

What I found interesting the last couple of times I took the test was the way that people reacted to the results. They flat out refused to judge people based on their personality types. Why would you take such a test, if not to assist in your analysis and judging of people?

The thing that interested me, Pony Girl, was that I answered a lot of the "do you rely on your emotions?" type of questions positively because I know my emotions are reactions to subconscious evaluations of reality, i.e. that they actually have foundation in something so they are reliable as far as I understand what is causing them!

The better I've become at introspection, the more F I become, because I understand what causes my emotions! Funny?

Obviously, the test is riddled with false dichotomies.  It would be interesting to write a similar test with choices that actually make sense.

Ha ha. I took one for school. One of the questions was "Do you do what's logical or what is right?" I asked the girl sitting next to me "Uh...is there a difference?" She was like "Yeah."

"Like what?"

"If you don't see a difference, put logical."

I thought it was pretty funny. I'm still waiting for her to come up with an example that is right and illogical.

Jennifer, that is pretty funny for an Objectivist to be more "feeling", but it makes perfect sense when you examine the cause. I had to take an "intelligences" test the other day. I felt kind of wierd answering that I rely on my emotions. I know why my emotions are what they are, so I put logic.

Happy Friday everybody!

Zak

The better I've become at introspection, the more F I become, because I understand what causes my emotions!  Funny?

I've had the same experience with being able to trust my emotions more, so I can see where your coming from. Since I *know* where my emotions come from (as I'm sure most of the other test takers and the test authors don't), I think that logic and reason are the most accurate and all-encompassing answers to those questions.

edited for clarity

Edited by Pony Girl

• 3 weeks later...

I am very well aware of MBTI, and did a lot of research into the subject. But as I did research into the subject of personality types, I came across something known as socionics:

www.socionics.com

http://the16types.info/

http://www.the16types.info/forums/

In my own personal viewpoint, most of what you will see in personality tests and theories border with mysticism. However, to my knowledge, this theory is far more promising than all of the rest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd post my comments on some of the more dubious questions in this test.

You find it difficult to talk about your feelings:

Is it asking: do I find it difficult when I attempt talk about my feelings, or is it asking: am I reluctant/afraid to make the attempt?

You feel at ease in a crowd:

Does the crowd have its attention on me, on each other, or on another individual?

You are strongly touched by the stories about people's troubles:

What is the nature of their trouble?

Often you prefer to read a book than go to a party:

False alternative.

You tend to rely on your experience rather than on theoretical alternatives:

False alternative.

It's difficult to get you excited:

About what?

You rapidly get involved in social life at a new workplace:

Depends on who is there.

It is in your nature to assume responsibility:

Responsibility for what?

You frequently and easily express your feelings and emotions:

Which emotions?

You are a person somewhat reserved and distant in communication:

With whom?

You prefer to act immediately rather than speculate about various options:

Act on what?

You usually plan your actions in advance:

What actions?

Your actions are frequently influenced by emotions:

What actions?

You easily empathize with the concerns of other people:

It depends on what they are concerned with.

You prefer to isolate yourself from outside noises:

When doing what?

It's essential for you to try things with your own hands:

Like what exactly?

You usually place yourself nearer to the side than in the center of the room:

What room? When?

When solving a problem you would rather follow a familiar approach than seek a new one:

That depends on what the problem is, what approaches I am currently familiar with and the adequacy of said approaches.

It is easy for you to communicate in social situations:

What is a "social situation" ?

You are consistent in your habits:

There's no such thing as an inconsistent habit.

You consider the scientific approach to be the best:

The best for what purpose?

You are easily affected by strong emotions:

Redundant. The emotion is the effect. If you experience a strong emotion, you are "affected".

You are always looking for opportunities:

Oppertunities to do what?

Deadlines seem to you to be of relative, rather than absolute, importance:

I don't know what this means.

You tend to be unbiased even if this might endanger your good relations with people:

I don't know how this is possible.

You tend to sympathize with other people:

Which people? About what?

As you can plainly see, the test was written by an idiot.

I was INTP when I took a similar test a long time ago.  The description called this type "The Architect" and gave Howard Roark as an example of INTP.

I wonder how they got Howard Roark to take the test.  :huh:

They didn't, but they knew he was an Architect.

:P:lol: