Objectivism Online Forum

Beauty Shop

Rate this topic

I just recently saw this delightful movie, which had a remarkable sense of life.

a synapse of the plot is that it revolves around this woman named Gina (Queen Latifa) who is unhappy with her job at George's(Kevin Bacon in a terrifically funny role... the name is pronounced "hor-hay) so she quits and starts her own business. Despite government regulations which threaten to shut her down, her shop prospers. And despite the best efforts of George, she stands on her own two feet.

there are several instances in this movie that are remarkeably pro-life.

The youngest daughter is seen as a young music prodigy, who has a fine appreciation for art, and is resistant of the more irrational aspects of black culture.

The older step-daughter initially is all in the scene as somewhat of a spoiled brat. However, the movie is a real coming of age for her, as by the end she sheds her irrational path and becomes a virtuous employee of Gina's.

The sole white beautician is initially ostracized by the other black females, as she is white. The issue of race is a huge issue within the black community, but for anyone not involved it is one of those non-existent issues. Anyway, Gina, fights to break down the barriers between the two races, to the point where she fires two unruly and racist black beauticians. By the end of the movie, the white girl is an accepted member of the team.

I heartily reccommend this movie. The philosophy is great and the humor is fantastic. Well worth the time.

That's good to hear. As a black man myself, it seems that many of the movie targeted to my race are riddled with "white people suck, they are so uncool" or "I got beat this guy in a rap battle/dance off/singing contest". If this movie includes the things that you say, I for one applaud it.

Edited by Free Thinker