Objectivism Online Forum

Punishing The Good And Rewarding The Bad

Rate this topic

My supervisor is a great businessman. He is effecient, decisive, a good leader, and great money manager. He always acts in the interest of the company except in one respect, which I can not figure out. He always seems to give the worst people in our organization the most "chances." I dont think that is the right word but i cant think of the one that is. An example is that there is a manager who does drugs, and he leads other dealers into doing drugs and he has been caught with drugs in a company vehicle, but the boss just over looks it. There is another who was caught doing drugs and nothing happened. there is a manager that was sleeping with dealers and buying the alcohol and nothing happened. The worst part is that he doesn't seem to care if the good ones stay or quit. Ive told him out the bad ideas running out the good, but he contunes to do it. What do you think causes this to happen?

Some questions...

Does this supervisor's group do well inspite of all this?

Are the guys doing drugs "making up" for it by doing well in their jobs?

When you say he gives "chances", do you mean that he is overlooking their shortcomings, or do you mean he is giving them additional opportunities that he does not offer others?

Some questions...

Does this supervisor's group do well inspite of all this?

Are the guys doing drugs "making up" for it by doing well in their jobs?

When you say he gives "chances", do you mean that he is overlooking their shortcomings, or do you mean he is giving them additional opportunities that he does not offer others?

No, every time he does this the people end up quitting anyways, and taking a lot of dealers with them. It has caused us to lose nearly the whole office a couple of times. These people usually have a thousand good reasons why they didn't make sales. and when they get fired he lets them come back again and again.

• 1 year later...
No, every time he does this the people end up quitting anyways, and taking a lot of dealers with them. It has caused us to lose nearly the whole office a couple of times. These people usually have a thousand good reasons why they didn't make sales. and when they get fired he lets them come back again and again.

I'm curious as to what field your work is that so many drug addicts are attracted to it. As a manager of an office myself who does the hiring and firing, I am required to interview and use my judgement about a persons ability, character etc to decide whether or not to hire them. Perhaps he doesn't want to admit his inability to judge and see his mistake, so he gives them a chance. . Apparently he has made bad hiring decisions. A lot of drug addicts have manipulative personalities and he may have been fooled by them. Maybe he can only feel superior by contrast...ewwwww

James,

This isn't an answer to your question, but I wonder why your employer doesn't make the managers sign non-competition agreements? If people are constantly leaving and taking dealers with them, non-competes would make this more difficult. Of course, I'm assuming that what you're doing is legal.

• 1 month later...
My supervisor is a great businessman. He is effecient, decisive, a good leader, and great money manager. He always acts in the interest of the company except in one respect, which I can not figure out. He always seems to give the worst people in our organization the most "chances."

Isn't this statement a bit contradictory.