Objectivism Online Forum

Minnesota Objectivists

Rate this topic

Free Thinker

Hi, I was wondering how many people on this forum (who are Objectivists) live/reside in Minnesota. I was interested in creating a "salon" of sorts in the Twin Cities Area for such people. The University of Minnesota Objectivist Club (the college I'm attending in the fall) seems defunct, and I already tried creating one at my High School (a dud).

Hi, I was wondering how many people on this forum (who are Objectivists) live/reside in Minnesota. I was interested in creating a "salon" of sorts in the Twin Cities Area for such people. The University of Minnesota Objectivist Club (the college I'm attending in the fall) seems defunct, and I already tried creating one at my High School (a dud).

Isn't snow to an objectivist the equivalent of Kryptonite to Superman ?

What rational person would live where frozen water fell from the skies on a

regularly recurrent basis, as it does in the (mythical) land of Minnesota?

And as all objectivists are rational, wouldn't it be ludicrous to try to find

objectivists in said (mythical) land of Minnesota?

Then again, perhaps the ever wonderous products of capitalism have somehow

made the (mythical) land of Minnesota somehow LIVABLE..!!

Ah,.. if so,.. it's yet another example of the superiority of capitalism, and it's little

brothers,.. central heating and pointy roofs!

-Iakeo :pimp:

Edited by Free Thinker

Once long ago in the mythical land of Minnesota, there was a club of unbelievable size and astounding quality, associated with the U of M. Unfortunately, all of the excellent members of that club have taken wing to warmer parts, mostly due to educational pursuits. Except for yours truly, that is, who remains cold as ever.

Recently a group of somewhat misguided unfortunates tried to resurrect said club, which is now, sadly, defunct, as you say. It must be the snow.

And by the way, Iakeo, it's Objectivist. Capital O. Proper noun. Ayn Rand's philosophy, the one, the only. Always and forevermore.

And by the way, Iakeo, it's Objectivist. Capital O. Proper noun. Ayn Rand's philosophy, the one, the only. Always and forevermore.

We'll have to agree to disagree as to the "correctness" of using anything but the

capital version of the letter "o" for the word "objectivist".

I consider "objectivism" a discovery, not an invention, and therefore don't

consider it necessary to capitalize it anymore than I would capitalize the

words "cat" or "sulfur". ;)

-Iakeo

Edited by Iakeo

• 2 months later...
Guest RationalEgoist
I want to revise my initial clarion call to Objectivists in MN to Objectivists attending the University of Minnesota. Is anyone there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well... I live NEXT to the University. Does that count? lol

Edited by Free Thinker

• 3 months later...

Day late, and dollar short?

Meet Minnesota Objectivisits, and start writing at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Minnesotaobjectivists

Edited by Free Thinker

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The reason Objectivism is capitalized has to do with the specificity of the content. It is capitalized because it’s a proper noun, which means: a specific, unique entity. In this case, a one-of-a-kind set of ideas. What that means is that you cannot pull any old idea out of a hat, add it to the pile, and say you're an Objectivist, or that that's Objectivism. Objectivism is an integrated whole, and can only contain the specific set of ideas that Ayn Rand delineated as part of her philosophy.

• 3 years later...

The club is alive and well hosting live speakers and weekly meetings. The name of the group is now "Ayn Rand Study Group at the University of Minnesota." See the group's website at AynRandUofMN. They can also be found on Twitter and Facebook. Send me a message if you have any difficulty in contacting the club.

Edited by Kriegel

The club is alive and well hosting live speakers and weekly meetings. The name of the group is now "Ayn Rand Study Group at the University of Minnesota." See the group's website at AynRandUofMN. They can also be found on Twitter and Facebook. Send me a message if you have any difficulty in contacting the club.

I actually thought about attending tonight's event, but I've got things to do tomorrow. Going down to Minneapolis is like a six hour round trip for me. Maybe, in the future, if there's an event scheduled for Friday, I may attend.

• 3 months later...