Objectivism Online Forum

Your thoughts on my idea for an Egoist Manifesto?

Rate this topic

For my 10th grade English class the teacher is requiring us to write manifestoes on what we believe. Some chose "family first" and others "God" and still others "dreams and goals" (as if this is not a broad enough abstraction). I chose to write mine on Rational Egoism.

I have a copy of "The Art of Nonfiction". In it, Ayn Rand says never to write an essay in which you have nothing new to say (that is the novelty of the essay). If I were to write this manifesto on Egoism, would it be wrong of me to just regurgitate and rehash ideas formulated by Miss Rand?

What do you suggest?

Don't regurgitate or rehash anything. Write about what you believe and _why_, but in your own words. Use quotes (sparingly, and properly credited) if it would help.

If "... never write an essay in which you have nothing new to say" meant that people should write only if their ideas have never been thought of before, few would be justified in writing.

Mark Peters

I wrote something very similar to this for my English class last November. It was on what we want for Christmas. I said I wanted freedom, which mean we would have to go to a laissez-faire capitalist system. It was peer graded for a contest, and then it was given an actual score by the teacher. I got a 3 out of 5 for my peers, meaning average honors English writing. But I got a 90% from the teacher. It would have been higher, but I had some fragmented sentences because she said that she was reading them aloud to the class. I wanted mine to be like I was talking. The point is, I got an okay grade, even though my classmates hated it. I would give you a copy, but I only have a hard copy. I can't find it on my hard-drive.

Anyway, your outline looks good, except for the note I made in the member essay's section.

Zak