Objectivism Online Forum

Draft

Rate this topic

The Wrath

Since the first page of this thread I have argued that achieving a laissez faire society in a new country is more likely than making sufficient cultural/political change in the U.S. to bring about a free society here.

I agree with Eric Mathis.

The antagonism to capitalism is very deep, sadly. In addition, it is the fact that so many cling to two ideas antithetical to freedom and individual rights: the idea of sacrifice as a virtue and the idea that the mechanism of taxation is the only way to provide "infrastructure" for "such a big country."

Even people who agree with Objectivism on many points have a difficult time coming to grips with how a government could possibly be funded (and fully funded at that) by voluntary methods.

With a small developing nation, or a brand-new island nation, I think we would have a better chance to enjoy capitalism while at the same time providing an example to the world of "how it's done."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Eric Mathis.

The antagonism to capitalism is very deep, sadly. In addition, it is the fact that so many cling to two ideas antithetical to freedom and individual rights: the idea of sacrifice as a virtue and the idea that the mechanism of taxation is the only way to provide "infrastructure" for "such a big country."

Even people who agree with Objectivism on many points have a difficult time coming to grips with how a government could possibly be funded (and fully funded at that) by voluntary methods.

With a small developing nation, or a brand-new island nation, I think we would have a better chance to enjoy capitalism while at the same time providing an example to the world of "how it's done."

I agree completely. I am ready to participate in such an undertaking.