Objectivism Online Forum

Religions in American History

Rate this topic

Boydstun

The boy in the 1960 photo below is me. We children made posters to get placed in store windows in that community for our church outreach. The girl and I were awarded a Bible for best posters. That was the first Bible I owned. It is a King James. I still use it, together with other translations in my scholarly work.

I want to recommend especially, in the links above, the two videos “The Rise and Fall of Unitarianism in America” and the link “Lutherans in America.” They are superb in their information and in their production quality.

I compiled the links in this thread, interesting of themselves, along my course of researching the education systems and the religions across the nineteenth century in America and in Germany on up to WWI. This is for my project “Dewey and Peikoff on Kant’s Responsibility.” Tracing the influence of German Idealism on the peoples of these countries up to WWI and on to WWII has little substance if it does not deal with the ways in which (1) German Idealism came to America, and that includes through Unitarianism and Transcendentalism, and the extent and specifics of their cultural impact (2) the ripples from German Idealism into new German Protestant theology and cultural impact of both those philosophies and theologies in Germany (relative to sway of traditional Protestant sects; it was districts Protestant, of whatever sort, who voted for Hitler, not the districts Catholic). (1) and (2) need comparison as part of the dissection of why there was NAZI fascism in Germany, while so much freedom in America at that time.

I am helped greatly in this part of my project by Philip Gura’s American Transcendentalism - A History (2007) and by Arthur Preisinger’s Ph.D. dissertation The Church Struggle in Nazi Germany, 1933-34: Resistance, Opposition or Compromise (1991).

Rev. Preisinger was my catechism instructor (finished 1962). He is not the pastor in the photo, who shortly after the photo took a call from Colorado Springs. Preisinger was his replacement. I was acolyte boy at his installation service. He was high church, a good singer of canticles, good at composing sermons and delivering them, and good at private counsel (he helped my parents greatly coming to them at the hospital the night before my father was to have brain surgery). Under Preisinger we got a canticle light and a communion chalice, leaving behind the former individual shot glasses. I see from the photo that in 1960 I had not yet broken my nose in baseball.

1960.jpg