Objectivism Online Forum

Conversations With God

Rate this topic

What?

This is a book written by Neale Donald Walsh.

In it, the author claims to be speaking to god. I was looking to find a critical review of this book on the internet, or anywhere else for that matter.

So, that is why a stumbled across this forum.

Is there anyone here, who has read this book, and could give me some feedback on it. Specially the way massage in the book has been presented to the reader.

Reason I am interested in some feedback is, well, it has been difficult for me to find people who disagree with the message in the book, or even have any disagreements as to how the book is being presented to the reader.

I know this is a long shut, but, if anyone here has read the book and would like to comment, please feel free to do so.

The messages in the books can be reduced to four sentences:

1. We are all one.

2.There's enough.

3. There's nothing we have to do.

4. Ours is not a better way, ours is merely another way.

I don't have to have read the book to know that the person's claim of speaking to "god" cannot be substantiated. Let me take a guess - his evidence is mostly anectodotal in nature?

1. We are all one.

2.There's enough.

If the book can be reduced to that, it sounds like it supports collectivism if not Communism. I'm not sure what you mean by "There's enough". The claim "There's nothing we have to do" is not only arbitrary it defies logical reason. And if at the end he says "Ours is not a better way, ours is merely another way" it means he doesn't even believe the garbage he is spouting. How can anyone expect other people to take what you have to say seriously, if you don't yourself? You mentioned that people generally don't disagree with his book? Who have you been asking? A bunch of Communists... or perhaps some Born-again christians? :) If I had to read more than one page of the sort of premises you listed above, I'd probably shoot myself :P. If you are looking for a person to tell you that that book isn't good look no further.

I agree with you about the premisses.

This book however has been on the bestsellerlist for quate a while. The author has written many more books after the first 3. The way author communicates this message, is very persuasive

He is also organizing a world wide movement, to clear obstacles in the way so that new spirituality might emerge on earth.

More info about this van be found on this website

CwG

What I am interested is to discus the sort of persuasion the author uses.

I am interested to discuss this as objectively as I possibly can.

You are right , I was mostly talking to people that, for the most part are supporting the ideas in the books. That is part of the reason I joined this forum.

Objectivists would be one of those obstacles to be cleared, I suppose. I wonder how this worldwide movement proposes to remove said obstacles?

Anyway, from a (admittedly brief) glance at the website, I would say that the author's primary method of persuasion appears to be appeals to emotionalism, which is what every kind of irrationalist ultimately ends up doing. I didn't notice any significant arguments from intimidation. His persuasive style also is largely based on accepting AS THE GIVEN not only things that are not proven, but that cannot BE proven.

The way to argue (if you REALLY want to waste your time) with anyone who speaks in such a manner is to ask, after the end of every arbitrarily assertive statement, "on what basis?" "How did you arrive at this conclusion?" "What are you assuming?" "How do you know?"

If the answer is "I just know" then YOU know enough to give up on them. It's not worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Argh...one of my friends, who I had somewhat of an intimate relationship with, suggested that I read that book since it had profoundly effected her life. She let me borrow it and I tried to read it, I really did, but only made it to pg 80 or so.

I thought the author was creative and sometimes logical (excluding many of his foundational premises) and he definitely blows the Western view of God out of the water--so some parts were interesting.

But personally, I just found it to be too "Celestian Prophecy" like, if you've eve read that book (although when I read C.P. at age 16, prior to studying Oism, I thought it was an amazing book). I don't really like the dialogue format and ambiguous usage of words in order to convey novel ideas, anywho, wish Ic ould give you more but it just isn't in my memory.

• 3 months later...

I scanned through it in a book-store. And there is one fascinating thing about it. Here is someone who is certainly a schizophrenic. He starts to talk to god inside his head. But instead of going to a psychiatrist, this guy writes his idiotic dialogues down and not only gets it published but also produces a bestselling series with it.

:)

No wonder there are people searching for terrestrial intelligence.

I've not read this book, so I can't assess it. However, I've heard major portions of it on tape (if I'm not mistaken, read by the author), and it was painful to listen to. In content, and especially in the author's own tone of speaking, this is some of the very most bombastically sanctimonious, sententious garbage I've ever heard.

• 4 months later...
I scanned through it in a book-store. And there is one fascinating thing about it. Here is someone who is certainly a schizophrenic. He starts to talk to god inside his head. But instead of going to a psychiatrist, this guy writes his idiotic dialogues down and not only gets it published but also produces a bestselling series with it.

:worry:

No wonder there are people searching for terrestrial intelligence.

But isn't that the way that all sacred books, eg the Bible, the Koran, etc. are supposed to have been written?

• 1 year later...

What I find completely presumptuous about half the posts on here is the fact that everyone has that "I am so much smarter than the guy who wrote this book, I will use words that portray me as smart rather than just saying it."

Hundreds of millions of people in this world, hundreds of religions.....and you are doing just what was noted in these books....."I am right".

If you actually read the book, pay attention to the words, yes its all stuff we already know.....but hardly pay attention to or practice. Its right in front of our faces. Are you mad that someone is making money off of printing it?

Give the guy some props, there is a reason why he is a best seller.

A reason why millions of people are reading it.

Because we all have an insatiable need to be either taught, told, or reminded of simple things we all forget.

It's like being mad at a teacher for being a teacher.

They were taught to teach, to relay information.

Is my high school teacher "just like" my fifth grade teacher just because they are telling me to "remember" things?

Should I dismiss them because they are simply reminding me of something I already knew?

Edited by slappyjoker

What I find completely presumptuous about half the posts on here is the fact that everyone has that "I am so much smarter than the guy who wrote this book, I will use words that portray me as smart rather than just saying it."

Hundreds of millions of people in this world, hundreds of religions.....and you are doing just what was noted in these books....."I am right".

If you actually read the book, pay attention to the words, yes its all stuff we already know.....but hardly pay attention to or practice. Its right in front of our faces. Are you mad that someone is making money off of printing it?

I think people here are a little more honest then that. I can print a book and say that if you rub your balls and think good thoughts that everything in life will be taken care of for you but that doesn't make an ounce of it true.

Give the guy some props, there is a reason why he is a best seller.

A reason why millions of people are reading it.

Because we all have an insatiable need to be either taught, told, or reminded of simple things we all forget.

It's like being mad at a teacher for being a teacher.

They were taught to teach, to relay information.

Is my high school teacher "just like" my fifth grade teacher just because they are telling me to "remember" things?

Remeber what exactly? You should give Hitler some props too, he won a popular election and was a very persuasive speaker! :P

Should I dismiss them because they are simply reminding me of something I already knew?

What do you know exactly?

Now that you mention it, yes, I am royally pissed off about that. Why should Neale Walsch make a zillion dollars talking to God, yet here I am making absolutely nothing talking to my personal savior, Pippi Longstocking? It's so unfair! Goddess Pippi has much more interesting stories to tell. For example, did you know that she once bought candy and toys for every kid in her little Swedish town? Isn't that amazing? Has God ever purchased candy and toys for little children in Sweden?

I didn't think so.

Yeah, but is it possible for Pippi Longstockings to be superdupernaturalistic? If she were, then candy and toy related dynamics would be plausible, and I might consider her the new prophet of Ultrasupersaijan-Jesus.

Goddess Pippi is mostly known for her miraculous strength and independent spirit. However, she did fly around on a broomstick and walk straight down the side of a cliff once. So we know that she can defy the law of gravity. I don't see why she couldn't defy the laws of candy and toys. I'll pray to her and see if I'm right ...

Okay, she answered my prayer and said that she can make soda pop appear from her lemon tree, and toys appear from the tree stump in her yard. Apparently she thinks that soda pop counts as candy. I'm not so sure, but I guess I'll have to take in on faith, since Goddess Pippi says so.

Edited by MisterSwig

The Giant Purple Space Goat just spoke to me and he wants me to express his displeasure at all this heretic talk about the Goddess Pippi. Thou shalt put no gods (or goats) before the GPSG. Lest he punish us all, you should know that the power of his flatulence is great and it's spread is mighty!

So please spare us this unpleasant consequence and yield to the intenstinal power of the GPSG!!!

• 1 year later...
The Giant Purple Space Goat just spoke to me and he wants me to express his displeasure at all this heretic talk about the Goddess Pippi. Thou shalt put no gods (or goats) before the GPSG. Lest he punish us all, you should know that the power of his flatulence is great and it's spread is mighty!

So please spare us this unpleasant consequence and yield to the intenstinal power of the GPSG!!!

The Flying Speghetti Monster wants a few words with the presumptuous Giant Purple Space Goat. He wishes to remind him the His Noodliness created all that is, and only by his forbearence does he allow the continued existance of the Giant Purple Space Goat.

I have this directly from the FSM himself...honest.

• 1 year later...

Hello

Just out of interest why did you post this as 'Fiction'?

X: )

This is a book written by Neale Donald Walsh.

In it, the author claims to be speaking to god. I was looking to find a critical review of this book on the internet, or anywhere else for that matter.

So, that is why a stumbled across this forum.

Is there anyone here, who has read this book, and could give me some feedback on it. Specially the way massage in the book has been presented to the reader.

Reason I am interested in some feedback is, well, it has been difficult for me to find people who disagree with the message in the book, or even have any disagreements as to how the book is being presented to the reader.

I know this is a long shut, but, if anyone here has read the book and would like to comment, please feel free to do so.

1. We are all one.

2.There's enough.

Hello

Just out of interest why did you post this as 'Fiction'?

X: )

Because it is quite obviously not fact.

Not even sure that it would qualify as good fiction, esp. if you contrast it with A.S. (Perhaps a section on Fantasy?, as A.S. sounds more plausable.)

Yet it provided two pages of comment thus far.

• 1 year later...