Objectivism Online Forum

Noble Vision

Rate this topic

Regi

Noted Economists Praise New Novel Noble Vision

Reflects the Current Controversy in Healthcare

Should the government control the medical treatment of individuals?

~ ANNOUINCING ~

An Autonomist Exclusive Offer

(Chicago, IL – March 2005) When economists and social commentators rave about a new novel, it’s time to take note. Milton Friedman, Nobel laureate economist, says about Chicago author Gen LaGreca’s medical thriller Noble Vision: “The defects of government-controlled medicine are dramatized effectively in this page-turning story of the love of a brilliant physician for a beautiful ballerina who becomes his patient.” Also weighing in is magazine magnate Steve Forbes, who calls the book a “salutary tale of what can happen to medical breakthroughs if Big Government claws even deeper into our healthcare system!”

Noble Vision's accurate descriptions of the nightmares of state-run healthcare have earned endorsements from medical leaders, including Edward Annis, Past President of the American Medical Association, and Jane Orient, Executive Director of the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons.

Recent news events have raised the question: Should the government have the power to make decisions concerning a person’s medical treatment? Noble Vision examines this heated controversy—not through a dry nonfiction treatise but through the enchantment of fiction.

Author Gen LaGreca, a former pharmaceutical chemist and a healthcare writer, creates two intriguing characters—Nicole Hudson, the lovely Broadway dancer who rose to stardom from a disadvantaged childhood only to have her life shattered by a tragic accident, and David Lang, the impassioned neurosurgeon determined to restore her health no matter what price he must pay.

Nicole’s only hope is Lang’s revolutionary treatment—a way of regenerating damaged nerve tissue to cure paralysis and other nerve injuries. The trouble is that this new procedure is rejected by “CareFree,” New York’s universal health system, a bureaucracy bogged down in budget overruns, red tape, and political corruption.

The surgeon stands to destroy his marriage, lose his license—and even be arrested—if he uses his unauthorized procedure. But if he gives his patient the conventional treatment approved by the government, she will remain disabled for life. Should he follow his mind or obey the law? The patient ardently wants the experimental treatment. Should she be allowed to make medical decisions for herself, or should the government intervene? These issues wreak havoc in the lives of Noble Vision’s characters.

Asked what moved her to write Noble Vision, the author replies, “After years of working in the healthcare industry, I feel as if I’m witnessing the slow death of something great, something that shouldn’t be allowed to die—America’s gold standard of medicine.”

As innovative as its surgeon-protagonist, Noble Vision breaks the mold encasing much of today’s fiction. In an age in which plot stories and character studies, not to mention romances and thrillers, appear in distinctly separate categories of fiction, and far-reaching themes are rare, Noble Vision delightfully combines a rich mix of story elements in one satisfying read. The novel was a finalist in the Houston Writers League Manuscript Contest.

Noble Vision was released by Winged Victory Press, a Chicago-based independent press dedicated to publishing works that celebrate the American spirit of individualism. “There’s a growing demand for books reflecting our distinctly American ideals of liberty and limited government, as well as the personal initiative and achievement that result from being free,” says Ms. LaGreca. Winged Victory Press will also publish the author’s second novel, a semi-finalist in the Pirate’s Alley William Faulkner Creative Writing Competition.

For more information on Ms. LaGreca’s novel Noble Vision or her views on the healthcare controversy as the thematic conflict of the book, contact Sara Pentz, 949.719.0902, [email protected], or contact the author directly at [email protected].

• 2 months later...

Wow, I was about to add a review for this novel when I saw that it had already been done. I loved LaGrecca's novel and, although it has its flaws in style, especially in repeating key details every few chapters, it was a very enjoyable read which helped concretize for me the effects of a state run medical system on the individual. Overall, I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

I also have to say, I absolutely LOVE the cover art of this book and would love to own it as a print.